Could Sony release a EVIL system coherent?

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
alexramos7
Initiate

Could Sony release a EVIL system coherent?

Unread post by alexramos7 »

Ricoh is announcing its new EVIL system, a modular camera...

Sensor and lens together... what is that?

I really hope, if Sony announce a EVIL system, something at least like the Sigma DP/Leica X-1 but with interchangeable lenses

A GF-1 like system will be cool, but if it is not possible I don´t want a DP/X-1 (fixed lens) style camera neither new Ricoh camera.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Could Sony release a EVIL system coherent?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alexramos7 wrote:Ricoh is announcing its new EVIL system, a modular camera...

Sensor and lens together... what is that?

I really hope, if Sony announce a EVIL system, something at least like the Sigma DP/Leica X-1 but with interchangeable lenses

A GF-1 like system will be cool, but if it is not possible I don´t want a DP/X-1 (fixed lens) style camera neither new Ricoh camera.
Do you have a link to the Ricoh anouncement anywhere?

In other hand, I think Sony is coming with a G1 or GF1/EP1 type camera, I hope soon...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alexramos7
Initiate

http://photorumors.com/2009/11/09/ricoh-gxr/

It will be announce soon (just in hours)...

This is my proposition for a EVIL system:

Actually the sensor and processor technology is very advanced and the best optical solution could be a fixed lens.
Here a example:

A small and compact APS-C sensor camera with a extensive and precise control about the sensor and widowing function, a precise and best algorithm of interpolation and fixed lenses of high optical quality.

Just you need a APS-C 24MPx CMOS sensor with 2 crop option, 2X and 3X, 12 and 6MPx respectiveness, with interpolation to 12MPx (from 24 and 6MPx).
With a 16mm fixed lens you would get a 24mm to 24MPx APS-C format, 48mm to 12MPx 2X crop and 72mm to 6MPx 3X crop.
The final image (RAW and JPEG) could be to 12MPx (interpolated from 24 or 6MPx).

With just fixed lenses, compact, light, fast and with good AF performance we would get images zoomed.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

24 MP on APS-C is going to out-resolve the lenses!

Dusty
alexramos7
Initiate

Dusty wrote:24 MP on APS-C is going to out-resolve the lenses!

Dusty
Is the only way to 3X crop you can get at least 6MPx.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I could see Sony doing one..but probably not for some time.

One thing that does strike me, is that with such an investment in DSLR's, I doubt any maker would seriously consider dumping that in support of purely EVF based models, maybe Canikon and Sony will run them along their DSLR's, as an alternative to "some"

After all, who would want to buy into a brand new mount and all the costs added to that, that's the problem with the EVIL concept, and of course they are entirely not suited to long focal lengths. If you use your legacy lenses with an adapter, you merely gain a smaller body, and probably worse handling.

I'd like to see EVIL wipe out higher end compacts though, as they are mostly gimmick based, and offer little in the way of great IQ
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

bfitzgerald wrote:I could see Sony doing one..but probably not for some time.

One thing that does strike me, is that with such an investment in DSLR's, I doubt any maker would seriously consider dumping that in support of purely EVF based models, maybe Canikon and Sony will run them along their DSLR's, as an alternative to "some"

After all, who would want to buy into a brand new mount and all the costs added to that, that's the problem with the EVIL concept, and of course they are entirely not suited to long focal lengths. If you use your legacy lenses with an adapter, you merely gain a smaller body, and probably worse handling.
I think there's a large market for better quality and smaller size. I think that some 1970's film cameras might have better IQ and still retain a small portable size than the "advanced" P&S that they have now. But I don't think most people realize (or care, apparently) about the IQ loss. Advanced in many ways to be sure, but crippled by 1/2.4" or even 1/1.6" sensors.
I'd like to see EVIL wipe out higher end compacts though, as they are mostly gimmick based, and offer little in the way of great IQ
What higher-end compacts? There don't seem to be many that even have a 1/1.6" sensor! There's the Panasonic LX-3, Canon G10/11, maybe the Sony WX1 (smaller sensor, but Exmor makes up for much of it), and maybe a Ricoh model? I guess there are a couple of super-zooms, but I guess I am not that interested in a 20x zoom that starts at 35mm equiv. or whatever.

I'm keeping my Sony V3 while it lasts. Actually, the wife is using it, now.

Maybe the bottom line is that the average consumer accepts the typical P&S as good enough. But I'd still like a smaller package with better quality.

The strategy described above using a fixed lens and digital zoom sounds like the Sigma approach. I'd be tempted to get the Sigma, but I think Sony could do a better job making a camera like that perform (less shutter lag, etc.).
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Vidgamer wrote: Maybe the bottom line is that the average consumer accepts the typical P&S as good enough. But I'd still like a smaller package with better quality.
That's exactly it. Most people now do not print their photos, and those that do typically use the local Wal-Mart or drug store kiosk to do 4x6 prints, if they don't have a 4x6 photo printer.

Most photos taken by amateur shooters today are viewed on a screen. Many are sent to (and taken by) cell phones with 2 - 3 inch screens. How good do you have to be for that?

What we take with our high end cameras are the cream of the crop. We have higher standards in a world of lowering standards.

Dusty
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Vidgamer wrote:
What higher-end compacts? There don't seem to be many that even have a 1/1.6" sensor! There's the Panasonic LX-3, Canon G10/11, maybe the Sony WX1 (smaller sensor, but Exmor makes up for much of it), and maybe a Ricoh model? I guess there are a couple of super-zooms, but I guess I am not that interested in a 20x zoom that starts at 35mm equiv. or whatever.

I was not talking purely on sensor size, just the higher end compact market. There always was a market for folks to dump cash on feature ridden compacts. and they pay through the nose for it. Even back in 35mm days, where most enthusiasts would ignore higher end compacts and just get an SLR, obviously some consumers just want small size and well featured.

I don't really like the WX1, IMO it's low ISO IQ is poor, and it's not really anything to write home about high ISO either. LX-3 is good, but robin hood distortion..esp a problem if you use 3rd party raw software. GR-D III/Gx-200..look nice, not tried a Ricoh for a while, but not willing to offload the cash for them either! Canon S90, real let down..played with one the other week, and it's cheap plastic feeling gets to you, DR looks poor too.

Sigma have some ideas, but aside from a DP-1 on a blowout deal, they are best ignored. G10/11 are of no interest to me, I would rather buy another DSLR body.

Fuji have some good stuff going on, if only they can nail the QC lens issues, and get their head around HD video and raw on some compacts, they could be killing the market right now. Not a lot of choices for fussy folks :mrgreen:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

interesting reading about what Thom Hogan, a Nikon guru, expect for the near future
http://bythom.com/design2010.htm

Note that EVIL cameras is taking on P&S and dSRL market share and seams to be the new hot thing -that's probably why Sony is about to announce the new Slimline (NEX?) models, not according any mayor Show, but ready for the summers holiday season!

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;