Sony DSC-TX7

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony DSC-TX7

Unread post by Vidgamer »

If a product says that it's good to 10', my understanding is that you wouldn't necessarily want to SWIM with it at 10', but I dunno... I'm with Kevin -- I could snorkel and go below 10'. My problem is that I don't do it often enough to justify a camera, but that's beside the point, so I guess I'll leave this thread now... :-)
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Report from the field:

Here at Yellowstone National Park, the TX7 tends to focus-hunt a great deal when shooting video of erupting geysers, but it's pretty decent with everything else, including more static geothermal features and buffalo. If I ever figure out what to do with the videos, or how to upload them, I'll share some samples. Naturally, the sound is doggy-doo in the presence of even the slightest breeze.

The focal length (25-100mm equivalent) is a good complement to an APS-C camera fitted with a 70mm+ zoom (105mm+ equivalent). This tends to minimize unnecessary lens-swapping out of doors, and if you want to leave the cabin/tent/hotel with just one lens, you can do it without worry of missing an opportunity or being over burdened.

The size and form-factor are okay for bare hands, but make for a very fiddly package when shooting with gloves. Also, there is a slight delay after touching a control on the screen--it is normally very easy to get used to--but combine this with the fact that all of the operations of the camera slow down in the cold, and the delay changes right along with the drastic temperature changes of mountain weather.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

are you considering the Party gadget?
looks fun
;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wt_uM6 ... ure=digest
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

pakodominguez wrote:are you considering the Party gadget?
looks fun
;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wt_uM6 ... ure=digest
Yeah, whenever my money tree comes into bloom. :lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks for this info Kevin. I'm not sure that even when I could swim 10 metres underwater without flippers, that I ever went deeper than 10 feet really - with flippers and a snorkel. Perhaps 15 at the most when I was a kid. 'Far' deeper than 10ft with a snorkel is an effort for most everyday users particularly if your hands are full with a camera and you can't use them as well, so I would be happy with 10ft.

Except, unless the camera floats, I'd probably drop it in 15 feet and have to get you to retrieve it for me - full of water?

David
That is quite true indeed. I ended up with another WX1, when my first one was carried away by waves in pacific. WX1 does shooting underwater and only the video 720p is a bit short. My wife hates the lens setting in TX7 and I am more fond of having buttons than touch screens, same feelings towards Nex5.