Which Memory Stick for TX7?

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Which Memory Stick for TX7?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Now that I've got a shipping number and an estimated arrival date for a Sony Cyber-shot TX7, it's time to look at Memory Sticks. I haven't got time to wait for it to get here before I see how my 4GB Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro Duo card fairs, because I'll be headed to Yellowstone National Park shortly after it arrives. I'm going with Memory Stick rather than SDHC because it is the common format with my a700.

Does anybody know what recommended minimum specs I should look for? Shopping Memory Sticks isn't as straight-forward as compact flash cards, for which there are more readily available tests and reviews. I have no idea how or if the read and write speeds will affect HD Video recording/playback, burst-shooting, iSweep Panorama, and all the other whiz-bang gadgetry of the new Exmor R-equipped cameras.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

Re: Which Memory Stick for TX7?

Ah, phooey, never mind. When I looked at the shipping times compared to my departure date, I had to make a fast decision. After learning that anything with "Mark 2" is compatible with AVCHD 1080 video, I remembered that I also plan to use the card in my a700, so I went with the faster 16 GB Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX. I had to go to the Wikipedia page to decipher all the wacky nomenclature.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote:Ah, phooey, never mind. When I looked at the shipping times compared to my departure date, I had to make a fast decision. After learning that anything with "Mark 2" is compatible with AVCHD 1080 video, I remembered that I also plan to use the card in my a700, so I went with the faster 16 GB Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX. I had to go to the Wikipedia page to decipher all the wacky nomenclature.
mmm
a 77 US$ card?
I haven't pay that much for a memory card since I bought a Microdrive 2GB for the Dimage 7Hi, 6 years ago!
Anyway, I think I'll have to think about it because I'm planning to buy the new Alpha Slimline (NEX?) when available...

Kevin, please keep us posted about the performance of this little TX7 (I thought you'll be buying the TX5, I would love to watch underwater videos from that one before I bought one for my girlfriend)

Enjoy your trip!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett

Well, the camera is being given to me, so I'm not really hurting to spring for an expensive card that both my cameras will use (my wife read that line and informed me that she's going shopping).

I've played with the TX7 in stores since I found out I'd be getting one, and the interface is really slick. If the new mirrorless Alphas have a touch-screen like the TX7, I won't be disappointed with them--and I suspect they will from the GUI shots I've seen. I was able to navigate right to what I wanted the first time I picked it up. My wife should do just fine with it.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --