Interesting A55/A900 Viewfinder Evaluation from Nordstjernen

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Interesting A55/A900 Viewfinder Evaluation from Nordstje

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Must disagree about the EVF and evaluating highlights - I find it burns out entirely, when detail is still present in the raw file.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The a55 EVF surely does burn highlights and most 'lights' along with them. It also does pretty poor in bright sunlight since the eyepiece cushion is too hard and shallow thus letting too much light between the eye and the EVF. I think of trying the FDA-ME1AM or some non-original solution...
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

agorabasta wrote:The a55 EVF surely does burn highlights and most 'lights' along with them. It also does pretty poor in bright sunlight since the eyepiece cushion is too hard and shallow thus letting too much light between the eye and the EVF. I think of trying the FDA-ME1AM or some non-original solution...
It doesn't fit.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

KevinBarrett wrote:It doesn't fit.
I believe it's only in the sense that it covers the eye-sensor. I think one could carve it somewhat on the lower side.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

agorabasta wrote:
KevinBarrett wrote:It doesn't fit.
I believe it's only in the sense that it covers the eye-sensor. I think one could carve it somewhat on the lower side.
If that is the only problem, then it would be quite satisfactory for me, as I turn off the eye-sensor start on my cameras.

However, I will still skip using it, since I do not have that camera. :P

With best wishes,
- Tom -
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

No, I mean that I took mine to a store and physically tried to fit the FDA-ME1AM and SLT-A55 together. I don't remember exactly what the hindrance was, whether it was raw physical dimensions or mechanical vignetting (must have been the latter), but I remember that I didn't entertain the notion any more after trying.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Interesting review. Nordstjernen is quite thoughtful. I think that it will be interesting to see how Sony have addressed the noted deficiencies in their A77. I went for the A580 because of the "blur" created by moving objects or moving the A55.
The A77 EVF is supposed to have a higher refreshing rate and thus the problem might be eliminated. Think of early LCD TVs and computer screens and now you can get 2ms displays. If they eliminate this problem I might go for one of these (A65 or A77). That is provided my lenses can cope with 24Mp. What is the point of buying a 24Mp cam if by upsizing my 16Mp A580 images to 24Mp I get the same image quality?????
agorabasta
Viceroy

Found a decent review of different eyepiece aids used on a55 - http://ctec3.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2010-10-26-3.

I think the FDA-ME1AM still may be good enough on the a55. Or, at least, I could make use of its fine rubber cushion by attaching it to the original eyepiece.