HX100V superzoom

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
cycladelic
Acolyte

HX100V superzoom

Unread post by cycladelic »

I have an a850 and various lenses, which weigh quite a bit. This isn't so much of an issue normally, but I do a lot of cycling and going up long hills becomes a pain. So, I've been wonderimg about buying the Sony HX100V. The 16mp camera is pretty light, features GPS, shoots HD video and has a great little lens that goes from 27mm to 810mm (30x). And it won't break the bank. In fact it seems a bit too good to be true. Has anybody here got one?

Here's one review:

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipm ... eview.html
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: HX100V superzoom

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've only tried the Fuji equivalent, F550 EXR, so far. I may try the Sony. I have not checked to see whether it shoots raw or not, though I very much doubt it - they said that no cameras in this class would ever shoot raw. That's a dealbreaker for me, as exposure can hardly ever be guaranteed to be accurate with JPEGs.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I think I'll prefer the DSC-HX9V
take a look here: http://modules.cyberscholar.com/23694/p ... _chart.pdf
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The HX9 certainly has a lot of appeal--not needing a lens cap, being more compact and having a wider lens--but the HX100V has a faster lens throughout it's zoom range, an electronically coupled manual focus/zoom ring, and an articulating LCD. For all their differences, I doubt very much if the two were intended to compete against each other, but in the world of non-RAW-capable compact cameras, these would be the only two I'd consider.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I've never understood Sony's refusal to put raw in their P&S cameras. Surely it's only a matter of s/w changes to allow raw capture? Activation could be suitably hidden in the menus for those who don't want it.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

LL has an article on the Sony HX-100V:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... 100v.shtml
cycladelic
Acolyte

No, David - it doesn't shoot RAW, which is why I didn't rush out and buy one. I was hoping Sony would include this feature in a new model, but from what you say, I'll die waiting.

The other issue I have it that it seems you can't fit a filter.
KevinBarrett

cycladelic wrote:...it seems you can't fit a filter.
That is correct. You get the trouble of keeping up with a lens cap without the benefit of filter use. :cry:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
cycladelic
Acolyte

Someone told me about a Web site where Canon owners can download a freebie that allows a PowerShot camera to shoot RAW:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Both HX9V and 100 were an instant success in local camera market. I have been waiting a compact camera like this, only lacking
1. slightly larger sensor like....1/1.8" or 2/3"
2. hotshoe accepting external flashguns
3. RAW writing capability.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony are a bit like Nikon they simply refuse to add raw to their cameras (well Nikon do to the P7100) anything else nope.
I don't know why this is because it's a real turn off for some buyers.
Fuji have a better record, though the unusual sensor layout can cause problems for raw software.
Background
Acolyte

Unread post by Background »

pakodominguez wrote:I think I'll prefer the DSC-HX9V
take a look here: http://modules.cyberscholar.com/23694/p ... _chart.pdf
My wife bought an HX9V for a trip to the US. Basically it ruined most shots by over-exposing (from 1 to 2 stops I guess). It went back to Sony for repair, but was returned without noticable improvement. Luckily the assistant at Jessops was very helpful, completely understood the problem and exchanged it for a Panasonic TZ20 without fuss, even though it was outside their exchange period. A few test snaps shows the TZ20 is much superior (and its £50 cheaper + £20 cashback).

bg
KevinBarrett

Now owning an HX9V, I'm not sure how readily I'd recommend one--particularly in light of new releases. The 16x zoom was a selling point, but in use it has so little contrast left at the long end, I just stay away from it. The plethora of external controls was another point, but in use, the mode dial on top is too crowded and has a chintzy feel to it (the new HX20V and HX30V have some upgraded hardware here; much better feel), and the spinning dial around the 4-way controller doesn't serve any purpose in most shooting modes. The wide end of the lens is still very nice, but to go wider with "Sweep-Panorama" is somewhat unreliable due to requiring a very exacting pace of "sweep" and the 24mm equivalent angle of view really challenges the auto-stitching. The latest generation of Cyber-Shots seems to have matured a bit in this regard.

There's still the HD video, which is all it's cracked up to be, as far as I can tell. I've used three different HD-capable compacts and have a fourth with which I haven't shot any video yet, but the HX9V is tops; sharp, clear, and absurdly steady.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony and Panasonic usually do decent video, the others less so in my own experience.
I think buyers will have mixed needs some really want the video and not so much the stills, some will mostly be taking photos with the odd clip once in a while.

I think that most shooters will not go near the raw, but it never hurts to have that choice does it? I would say a better solution would be to allow the user to turn down the noise reduction. None of the recent superzoom compacts I have tried have what I would call "good image quality" but probably fine for casual use.