The trend to *much* larger cameras

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

The trend to *much* larger cameras

Unread post by bakubo »

In the last few months around Waikiki I have noticed that there seems to be a new trend to much larger cameras. Almost everyday I see someone using an ipad or tablet as their camera. It sure looks unwieldy, but it seems to be the camera that is becoming popular. Ergonomics of the size, shape, and shutter button don't seem so great to me, but lots of people are happy with it.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: The trend to *much* larger cameras

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, it looks funny. We were going round a donkey sanctuary and I saw a little girl who seemed to be playing all the time with a Nintendo DS and not interested in the donkeys. Then I realised she was actually taking photos of the donkeys and looking at them!

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The last time we climbed to the top of Diamond Head I saw a guy on the trail with his ipad taking photos. Then later at the top I saw him again using it. Around the beach I often see them too being used as cameras. It goes against the conventional wisdom that people want small on vacation and the many who just use their camera phones. The trend among some is to go BIG! :)

The huge LCD vf is sort of cool, but to really get the most from it you need a towel over your head in the bright sun. Also, doesn't the ipad just have a touchscreen "button" as the shutter release? When I have played with an iphone that is how the camera worked and I found it a bit awkward to hold it and work the shutter release. The much, much bigger ipad though would seem to be really unwieldy using it that way. A gust of wind could catch it and knock it out of your hand since to work the shutter button you are mostly holding it with one hand. The trade winds are usually blowing here. They feel great, but having a sail in your hand to take photos might not be ideal. :lol:
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - an Ipad doesn't sound very convenient as a camera :shock: . Do people hang them around their necks?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote:The huge LCD vf is sort of cool, but to really get the most from it you need a towel over your head in the bright sun.
I think I just thought of an accessory to bring to market. :wink:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

KevinBarrett wrote:
bakubo wrote:The huge LCD vf is sort of cool, but to really get the most from it you need a towel over your head in the bright sun.
The iTowel! It's an LCD VF hood and cleaner all in one! Emblazoned w/ the Apple logo and available now for only $29.99! (Now if could just find a way to download them...)!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

People gotta choose where to put the $500. Either get a camera or an ipad, many choose the ipad. Lucky us who can afford both :wink:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:
KevinBarrett wrote:
The iTowel! It's an LCD VF hood and cleaner all in one! Emblazoned w/ the Apple logo and available now for only $29.99! (Now if could just find a way to download them...)!
I think that Kevin, Dusty, and I should share in the profits for this must-have ipad accessory! I have a prototype hanging over my shoulder right now! :lol:
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

We might credit Douglas Adams, also--the original champion of the universal utility of the towel.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --