RX100 is better than a77 :)

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: RX100 is better than a77 :)

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I'm still investigating the lens. It is not clear whether Sony has adjusted the stated focal lengths to allow for the in-camera correction, which is very strong.
Hi David,

This suspected lens correction shows up on RAW also?
I did read the manual again and couldn't find any information about auto-lens correction (the way is done on the NEX7)
I'll probably get the camera this week anyways...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

OK, you lot ge the first look, before any reviews! Here's one of my standard test shots of the old notice on the gate near my house, which gets more weathered every year. The first image is a linear (no adjustments) conversion from the RX100 raw at ISO 125, 10.4mm, f/5.6, 1/100th using Iridient RawDeveloper which as usual is the first Mac program to have Sony newstuff added fast (thanks to using dcRaw as its engine). The second image is the in-camera JPEG with corrections.

Don't know about 28mm versus 24mm equivalent, but lenses are normally measured for the diagonal field of view and the correction makes a monster difference to the diagonal angle, not to the vertical view.
rawdeveloperconversion-widezoom.jpg
rawdeveloperconversion-widezoom.jpg (257.7 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
jpegexamera-widezoom.jpg
jpegexamera-widezoom.jpg (269.66 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

hum...
and, what happens if you open the RAW on Sony IDC?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Hopefully LR will have a RC including Rx-100 raw conversion soon. Oh, why cant these manuafacturers get over their corporate ego trips and give us a generic raw - after all, if Leica can do it with .dng, why not the rest? That said, my impressions so far with this little camera have been very positive except that the AWB is unpredictable close up, where there is a tendency to coolness needing WB adjustment. However, in the absence of a raw converter - and I shan't bother with Sony's - it's not possible to say whether this is a sensor or jpg engine issue. All told, though,this is a very impressive bit of kit and hopefully the raw files will live up to the promise of the rest of it - when I can open them, that is.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

Back when I went from the S95 to the S100 and the S100 raw wasn't supported in ACR yet, I downloaded a metadata editor and changed the "S95" designation to "S100" in the .CR2 raw file and it opened fine in ACR. I wonder if you could do that with a .ARW and lie to ACR and tell it it's a NEX or something.

Edit - I said that backwards. I meant to say changed the S100 designation to S95.

Ed
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Raw from IDC - it applies the profile exactly as the camera does:
imagedataconverter-widezoom.jpg
imagedataconverter-widezoom.jpg (259.48 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
I think the conversion is actually pretty good, it's just the entire IDC interface and workflow which is painful.

Since there are no other 20 megapixel cameras to fake the metadata, I doubt ACR/LR would do much good as it would not have any the right info to work with.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

thanks David.
I got my RX-100 from the SonyStyle Store here in Manhattan (just before the Tornado http://instagram.com/p/NOuYQYgpx4/)
I'm planning to shoot RAW+JPG now, but I'm tweaking the JPG on Vivid mode +3-3+1, just for fun. I'll see what happens when LR4 support the camera. So far it is impressive. Quality goes beyond any PS I've tried.
Pako
------------
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Since there are no other 20 megapixel cameras to fake the metadata, I doubt ACR/LR would do much good as it would not have any the right info to work with.

David
I actually only used it on one file and it seemed fine, but then two days later Adobe released an ACR that supported it, so that was the end of that. But you're right, it wouldn't have been able to restore the perspective not knowing what the lens was doing.

Just received an Amazon email telling me that the RX100 has shipped, so I should have it by the weekend.

Ed
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Short video clip from RX100:

http://youtu.be/UqsHqfbCHBI

David