Sony RX1 Full frame.

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony RX1 Full frame.

Unread post by Dusty »

OneGuyKs wrote:
Dusty wrote:I don't see the reason for this. Since Sony has already gone FF in the NEX mount with a video cam, the FF NEX should be able to do everything this one does, with interchangeable lenses.

Dusty
The video camera would be much bigger and attract a different market. This camera will attract a different market, i.e people who buy Leica X2 and Fuji X100, etc. Also, this camera is small for street photography, the video camera would need tripods and rigs.
I didn't mean the FF video NEX, I mean the oft rumored FF NEX still camera. It wouldn't be much bigger, and with an interchangeable lens much more usable.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Here's my take on it. I went and got the Hexar kit out and photographed that...

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/1 ... e-sky-rx1/

I have an interest in such things as special wide angle cameras - for many years I bought stuff like the Plaubel Veriwide, Fuji RF with 45mm f4 lens, etc. If this had come with a fixed perfect quality 20mm f/2.8 or even better a Hologon like 15 or 16mm f/5.6 it could have been an interesting professional tool. But 35mm is nowhere at all, not even a classic standard lens, it's the classic family snapshot lens.

David
Hi David,
in your interesting article you claim that "I do not need to spend $2799 to get what the RX1 appears to offer. I didn’t even want it in the NEX-7 and have never felt tempted to buy the 24mm f/2" but, AFAIK, you do have the Sony Zeiss 24 f2.0, right?

The formula Sony brought with the SEL 16mm, wide and fisheye adapters was great, even with the bad press the 16mm got, and I can see such lenses and a "tele" converter for this camera, but I'm not ready to pay 2800 $ for such a beauty.

In any case I do agree with Babuko about a really pocketable camera with an f2.8 lens (I don't need an f 2.0 or 1.8 lens...) a la Olympus XA or Olympus Stylus. Or the Minolta Ti (with that 28mm I'll probably think better about the camera...) I understand AF for a RX style camera is more complicate than the one for the Stylus or the Minolta Ti, but it is still not the camera I need...

BTW, I think it will sale like hot cookies, not just in Asia.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

But I bought the 28mm f/2 ZA because Paul Genge told me a full frame Alpha was coming and I should hang on to it - for full frame!

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

looking at the picture from sonyalpharumors , I can see the sensor almost at the end of the back of the camera. compare to the nex system, this looks promising for future nex with the sensor mount inside the camera (with a lens mechanism release internal to the camera or thinner body. In fact, I think this can be the next shape for a NEX camera.

I don't know if there is crazy people would buy this RX1 and stripe the lens in the front to custom fit a leica adapter ... (If I had the money, this is probably the first thing I will try :-) ).

I'm also thinking the two level of focus distance allow the lens to retract back inside the camera to take less place ... lets see tomorrow.

If the lens could has been faster, this will probably be a keeper ... (It will have accept the lens to be a little bit bigger or at least the quality of the old Leica 35mm 1.4 which is the same size of this lens).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David Kilpatrick wrote:But I bought the 28mm f/2 ZA because Paul Genge told me a full frame Alpha was coming and I should hang on to it - for full frame!

David
You mean the 24mm f/2, right?
Anyway you still have a FF, the a900.
I'm afraid I don't follow you.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

New full frame of course!
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

The RX-1 seems to make a nex7-like FF inevitable. That camera will sell like crazy, and in that light, releasing the RX-1 first, planned or not, is smart.

As much a statement as a camera, the RX-1 has already succeeded. It dominates the photokina conversation.

I thought it would have made a bit more sense to fix a 20-50 zoom to it, but the 35/2 is an interesting choice, and I predict we will see some great street shots from the combo.

The idea that a FF nex is just a geek dream which makes no sense for sony--well its the geeks who helped the nex5 break into the big leagues- both in terms of sales and perception.

There will be many put off by the price to the point they dis the camera---well I can't afford one either, but I sure would love to have one next week :)
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Personally, I would love a NEX-8E - 24 or 36Mp, full frame, no video and no anti- aliasing filter. Did I say no video?!
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

CharlieWebster wrote:The RX-1 seems to make a nex7-like FF inevitable. That camera will sell like crazy, and in that light, releasing the RX-1 first, planned or not, is smart.

As much a statement as a camera, the RX-1 has already succeeded. It dominates the photokina conversation.

I thought it would have made a bit more sense to fix a 20-50 zoom to it, but the 35/2 is an interesting choice, and I predict we will see some great street shots from the combo.

The idea that a FF nex is just a geek dream which makes no sense for sony--well its the geeks who helped the nex5 break into the big leagues- both in terms of sales and perception.

There will be many put off by the price to the point they dis the camera---well I can't afford one either, but I sure would love to have one next week :)

It's a bold move and one that does deserve some credit for having the guts to go with the big sensor and before others have. Still a niche product I actually saw the RX100 as quite a strong move and shaking up the market where we've been "mostly" bored silly with no normal compacts with much bigger sensors (well Sigma have it but you know the story there) that was needed and I hope that it creates a wave of better quality compacts with non tiny sensors. To me the RX100 was a more important development in that market (which was boring as hell in most ways)