Sony RX1 Full frame.

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sony RX1 Full frame.

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Massive price though, can't see it taking off..

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-rx1 ... 99-sensor/
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony RX1 Full frame.

Unread post by peterottaway »

It should sell at least as well as the Leica M series.

But after the first production run I doubt where there would be a second.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Well, it's certainly a different part of the market than anyone else is addressing. It certainly offers a savings over camera + lens. I could definitely see myself using something like this since I usually live with a prime on the camera anyway. This model has to be compared against something like an NEX-6 with the Zeiss 24/1.8 though. It will have the same generation of sensor and processor technology, and the new hotshoe, but the NEX combo will have the viewfinder built in.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Coincidentally, I saw this earlier today:

Medium Format Image Quality In a Pocket Sized Camera?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... view.shtml

Maybe some competition, but probably won't get a lot of notice.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I think, the RX1 is just a proof-of-concept thingie. If all goes very well with it, there will be system cameras built around this tech.
As it is, it may be considered as an expensive advertising campaign.

That Sigma, on the other hand, is just a niche product not intended to compete with anybody.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, the Sigma is a niche product, just as a $2800 single focal length fixed lens Sony camera is also :lol:
bfitzgerald

Agree of course it's niche very much so. Sigma I have not tried one being honest I believe the weakness is the not very good higher ISO..but they are on the right path sensor wise, just needs more development..
I think this was thought to be the next higher end NEX but clearly it's a fixed lens.

I can see folks giving the flawed but interesting X100 a bash..but that's pretty affordable (in relative terms) for this Sony well the price is so massive I think it's one for the very select few who have to make space in their wallet!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I expect the RX1 will grab a lot of internet / media attention, probably more than the volume of sales would justify, but that is what 'gear-heads' like - drooling over the latest ultra kit (and I include myself in this category). I can't see the RX1 ever making it in to my camera bag, but I'll certainly read the reviews etc. The 12th promises to be an exciting day for Sony photography 'tech' :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

With that much profit margin, Sony doesn't need to sell many of these. They will sell a lot more than Leica X2, though, which is like $2000 for APSC sensor.
bfitzgerald

Agree it's a media attention thing, by no means bad I am quite pleased somebody has done it will encourage other makers to up their game. The RX100 again about time other makers put a really decent sensor like this into other models so throwing the gauntlet down is a great thing for everyone regardless of what you end up buying.
I'd not expect a FF sensor rush because of this, but hey it won't hurt.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

It could be a very innovative camera. Sometimes, a product is out there to be a placeholder, something to tell the world that you can produce something different, something that is very high quality. It makes people look at you entire product line and see if there is something in that product line for them. Pretty smart marketing move, really. And if it's really good, something the well heeled or somethiing who could use such a camera will be happy to have.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I don't see the reason for this. Since Sony has already gone FF in the NEX mount with a video cam, the FF NEX should be able to do everything this one does, with interchangeable lenses.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here's my take on it. I went and got the Hexar kit out and photographed that...

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/1 ... e-sky-rx1/

I have an interest in such things as special wide angle cameras - for many years I bought stuff like the Plaubel Veriwide, Fuji RF with 45mm f4 lens, etc. If this had come with a fixed perfect quality 20mm f/2.8 or even better a Hologon like 15 or 16mm f/5.6 it could have been an interesting professional tool. But 35mm is nowhere at all, not even a classic standard lens, it's the classic family snapshot lens.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Dusty wrote:If this had come with a fixed perfect quality 20mm f/2.8 or even better a Hologon like 15 or 16mm f/5.6 it could have been an interesting professional tool.
Sure!
But there's an important limitation you're forgetting. It's only 24Mp. Which means that, in an aperture range too wide, the detail level with an optically near-perfect lens, would be digitally limited in resolution. This, in turn, means that, the most recognisable features such as found in human faces and the likes are doomed to appear digitally aliased in too many realistic shooting scenarios, had the lens been 24mm or wider.
At the same time, cropping 35mm to 45mm can never introduce any digital aliasing if that's not already there.

So the 35mm compromise was valid with the film for the same reasons as it is now plus the even more important digital nature of capture we have to deal with these days.
And for a 24mm fixed FF lens we'd need about 50Mp digital res for the captured images to look about as natural in their detail as the current 35mm may deliver.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Dusty wrote:I don't see the reason for this. Since Sony has already gone FF in the NEX mount with a video cam, the FF NEX should be able to do everything this one does, with interchangeable lenses.

Dusty
The video camera would be much bigger and attract a different market. This camera will attract a different market, i.e people who buy Leica X2 and Fuji X100, etc. Also, this camera is small for street photography, the video camera would need tripods and rigs.