Interesting (?) DRO Observation

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Argonaut
Oligarch

Interesting (?) DRO Observation

Unread post by Argonaut »

Having just received my new RX-100, I've been trying it out. When I tried the DRO-Auto setting, something interesting happened. I thought the camera took one exposure and then generated two JPGs - one normal, one DRO adjusted. But.....
DSC00022.jpg
(74.71 KiB) Downloaded 3918 times
DSC00023.jpg
(80.13 KiB) Downloaded 3918 times
This is obviously TWO photos. Have I been wrong about the processing since, say, the A-700?

BTW, that DRO-Auto works like a charm. I took some RAW photos too and trying to get them up to the standard of the JPG was hard work.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Interesting (?) DRO Observation

Unread post by agorabasta »

That must have been the 'intelligent auto' mode. You make adjustments/settings to ignore by the cam's 'brains'.
Argonaut
Oligarch

agorabasta wrote:That must have been the 'intelligent auto' mode. You make adjustments/settings to ignore by the cam's 'brains'.
There's an adjustment that changes the number of photos taken???

Edit: I blew it. Those two photos were done with the HDR setting, not DRO. That explains the "two photo" question.

Sorry about that.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

It looks to me like the second shot may have more exposure rather than just DRO so could it be that you had accidentally set the drive mode to bracket but didn't keep the shutter button pressed for long enough to get the third exposure?
Bob Johnston
Argonaut
Oligarch

Bob, as you can see from my edited remark, the photo(s) in question were made with the HDR setting, not DRO. My bad.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Whoops - sorry. I will write 500 lines - I must read the posts properly before writing.

Bob
Bob Johnston
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

johnstra wrote:Whoops - sorry. I will write 500 lines - I must read the posts properly before writing.

Bob
Don't write it 500 times, just use copy and paste! It's a digital world now, even for us luddites!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).