RX100 accessories

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

RX100 accessories

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have a new post up showing some accessories for the RX100 including a filter adapter and a moulded hand grip:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/03/0 ... for-rx100/

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: RX100 accessories

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Can we see what the completed outfit looks like?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Well, there's plenty of completed outfit pix on the page -

The screen protector is invisible really. The grip is the most important thing. The filter ring does not have to be left on, and when removed, the adapter to fit it is so small you hardly see it.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Strange, many of those images did not show on my RSS feed, but I'm sure I must have jumped right over the pertinent ones. Thanks for linking again!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Minolta_Snapper
Acolyte

Unread post by Minolta_Snapper »

I really like the look of the grip, and fancy getting one for my RX100. However, the only place I can find it available is from the maker in the US. If I order it from him, am I going to be stung for UK Customs Duty (as well as tax) when it enters the country? Or is there somewhere in the UK/EU I can get one?

thanks

Margaret
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The postage method used to get it to me - with all the items in one package - did not attract any customs or VAT.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Not many RX100 owners huh?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Dr. Harout wrote:Not many RX100 owners huh?
In late December I was thinking seriously of getting an RX-100 as a "when travelling by air" and an "always with me" camera. For those purposes, I liked almost everything about it until I went into the store and actually handled the camera. I have relatively large - although not huge - hands, and the camera was simply too small for me to handle and use comfortably.

I thought about getting an RX-100 and adding the grip that David shows, as it made a very big difference for my wife when I added a similar grip from the same company to the ZX-1 that I gave her for Christmas. However, I finally decided that I would not be comfortable with the RX-100 even with the grip added.

That was the first step on the path that led to my acquisition of a NEX-6, with which I have been quite pleased.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I have and love the RX100 and actually sold my NEX system in favor of it.

The grip will have benefits for sure. The reason I don't want it is that it adds to the dimensions of the camera, which is why I bought it in the first place. As a traveling tool it is marvelous, although handling needs getting used to. The IQ is really great, you can pull a lot out of the RAW files it produces. Only thing I miss on occasion is mm's, but it's a small sacrifice.

Mark
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Or, RX100 owners who are the Strong and Silent types :D

I'm fairly satisfied without an accessory grip, and I have large hands. I did buy two cases to try out, one of which is a retro leather type and with its bottom section attached and top off for using the camera, makes it very easy to hold. With the case top on and carried around my neck I look just like my father and his Kodak Retina! I take this setup to serious cocktail parties. I do have some sticky-backed black (fine grit) sandpaper and might consider putting a bit on, hopefully before I drop the camera.

I don't use filters much, the exception being polarizers, and those not often. Post-processing makes it easy to darken skies and increase saturation if needed.

I did get a ClearView thingie because I seem to need to squint through a monocular when taking pictures. Makes it feel like a real camera. Actually, one of the benefits is I don't have to use reading glasses to change settings any more. Changing glasses during photography is a pain. With the ClearView I can read the LCD effortlessly.

What the RX-100 has done for me is make it possible to go out with my a580 and a 400mm lens AND have an everything-else camera along, all in one holster-type bag. I'm tired of horsing around two complete sets of DSLRs to do this. The IQ and flexibility of the RX100 is as good as the enthusiastic reviews say it is. I'm a happy guy.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Argonaut wrote:
What the RX-100 has done for me is make it possible to go out with my a580 and a 400mm lens AND have an everything-else camera along, all in one holster-type bag. I'm tired of horsing around two complete sets of DSLRs to do this. The IQ and flexibility of the RX100 is as good as the enthusiastic reviews say it is. I'm a happy guy.
That is exactly what I do nowadays with the same setup too (only with a backpack). It does help a lot not having a full setup with you when hiking!

I have the 'retro' leather case from Sony too. It's well made but a bit expensive for what it is. When traveling, I use a small Lowepro AW pouch which contains a spare battery, polariser and memory cards. It's better padded which offers more protection.

Mark
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Ca vende comme des p'tit pains...
The RX100 is a strong seller.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

pakodominguez wrote:
Mais ceux qui en ont ne sont pas ici au Photoclubalpha, quand meme... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I have an RX100 for quite some time already. And I find it's usability too limited due to poor lens quality - there is too much LoCA in the blur, it's visible even at very small blur radius all the way till f/8. So I shoot mostly at f/9 in good light or wide open in the dark - that's too limiting.

Actually, a NEX6 with PZ1650 is a much better combo for about the same money.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Dr. Harout wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:
Mais ceux qui en ont ne sont pas ici au Photoclubalpha, quand meme... :wink:
Il n'y a pas beaucoup du monde ici chez Photoclubalpha non plus...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;