Home fix for busted RX100

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Argonaut
Oligarch

Home fix for busted RX100

Unread post by Argonaut »

Believe it or don't, I've had my RX100 bitten by a pit bull. You can see little teeth indentations on the front (thank you non-plastic body) but on the back she made contact with the LCD and it's toast. The camera still takes pictures so I'm hoping only the LCD is broken.

Anyway, Sony tells me it will cost $299 plus tax to fix and in their judgment it's not worth fixing. (! - they must be anticipating a large price drop with the Mark II coming.) I see I can buy a replacement LCD from Amazon or Ebay for $90. Has anyone had experience with a DIY LCD replacement? I think it's worth risking the $90, but ....
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Home fix for busted RX100

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You might be able to get an independent repair shop to fit the new LCD. I've never tried dismantling modern compact digital cameras as they are usually micro-complex and my eyesight would demand working with a loupe...

Still, at least you have the most unusual insurance claim. Not many RX100s meet a pit bull and survive.

David