New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

Unread post by bakubo »

I think it is classiccameras who often laments that there is no new Olympus body to use his 4/3 lenses on. It looks like Olympus is about to release the E-M1 which is supposed to be a hybrid that can use 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. It has PDAF as well as CDAF. Finally classiccameras can use his 4/3 lenses on a new body. Here are the specs:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-update-e-m1 ... n-germany/

Here are some new photos of it:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-e-m1-image-leaks/

Oh, and here is an interesting article about the "offensive" Japanese text on the images:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/6/470070 ... mera-blogs
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

And here’s me wondering about the conjecture that Olympus might wind down their camera division, it sure doesn’t look that way from here. (at the moment)
Greg
Ps I wonder why they would bother squabbling over a couple of frozen rocks, they sure must be important rocks. :roll:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:And here’s me wondering about the conjecture that Olympus might wind down their camera division, it sure doesn’t look that way from here. (at the moment)
Yeah, who knows? In less than a year Olympus has come out with the E-P5, E-PL5, E-PM2 m4/3 bodies and is about to come out with the higher end E-PM1 though. Also, several new lenses recently: 12-40mm f2.8, 75mm f1.8, and 17mm f1.8. A 40-150mm f2.8 coming too. Panasonic has come out with the GX7, G6, and GH3. Also, lenses such as the 12-35mm f2.8 and 35-100mm f2.8. Sigma has the fairly recent 19mm f2.8, 30mm f2.8, and 60mm f2.8 too. At any time any company could decide to get out of a business, but at least so far m4/3 still seems alive. I also read that Panasonic Leica is coming out with a 42.5mm f1.2 and a 150mm f2.8.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html
Greg Beetham wrote: Ps I wonder why they would bother squabbling over a couple of frozen rocks, they sure must be important rocks. :roll:
Yes, the Koreans and Japanese are arguing over some little islands. The Chinese and Taiwanese are arguing over different islands. The Chinese and Japanese are arguing over yet some other islands. The Japanese and Russians are arguing over some more. Lots of islands over in that part of the world to argue over. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Oh, it was also cosmonaut1959 who has been waiting for a new Olympus body to use his 4/3 lenses. The E-M1 was officially announced today.

Olympus E-M1 Review -- First Impressions

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/o ... -e-m1A.HTM
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Sorry Henry - just seen your post and I posted the same news :(
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Continuing from this post:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 900#p83370

Birma, you mentioned the Sony A3000. I saw the original announcement, but haven't followed it. Does it allow both E-mount and A-mount lenses using CDAF and PDAF?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry - the A3000 is just E-mount, but the rumours are that higher up the range there will be some sort of convergence, and DK has speculated on how this might work on the main site. Of course you can slap the E to A mount convertor on the A3000 to use your A mount glass.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Hi Henry - the A3000 is just E-mount, but the rumours are that higher up the range there will be some sort of convergence, and DK has speculated on how this might work on the main site. Of course you can slap the E to A mount convertor on the A3000 to use your A mount glass.
I thought that when the A-mount SLT adapter came out that essentially Sony had hybrid cameras that could AF well with both E-mount and A-mount lenses. The only problem is that the adapter and A-mount lens on a NEX was rather awkward and big. An E-mount body though that was shaped and sized a bit differently could use an adapter (doesn't need SLT anymore) that might look and work and feel better with A-mount lenses.

I remember that there are at least 2 people here who have lamented that Olympus had abandoned them and their 4/3 lenses. I guess not though. I don't have any 4/3 lenses and have no interest in them, but I am glad to see that at least for awhile longer people who have them can get a new, modern body to use them on.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well, more Nex types rumours right here on PCA http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/09/1 ... le-lenses/

A RX1 with interchangeable lens sounds great but the complications of another new mount could be a pain. (Must admit I don't fully understand the leaf shutter business.)

Exciting times :)
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Looks decent this new Olympus improved EVF and a real grip.
Has to be said though an initial release price of £1300 puts it head to head with full frame, and I personally think that's incredibly brave (or stupid delete as appropriate)

There are lots of things flying around rumour wise with Sony, I have to say any convergence to these new NEX type bodies and non native A mount bodies would spell the last straw for myself, I just can't stand the anti Minolta NEX handling it's a pet hate of mine ;-)

Sony seem to be putting an awful lot of resources into NEX and I'm puzzled why that is
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Looks decent this new Olympus improved EVF and a real grip.
Actually, even the E-M5 has an optional grip. For people who want a grip to make their E-M5 larger and heavier they can buy the optional HLD-6 2-part grip:

You can use just the upper part or also use the lower part that holds an extra battery. The E-M1 has the top part integrated and not optional. Unfortunately, that makes the E-M1 larger with no option for taking it off when you don't want it.

I haven't been interested in it because although it makes the E-M5 feel much nicer it adds size/weight and, of course, you have to buy it too. I would only use the top part if I had it and even then only occasionally. For travel I am loath to add size/weight since I have been pretty happy with that aspect of the E-M5 and lenses.
bfitzgerald wrote: Has to be said though an initial release price of £1300 puts it head to head with full frame, and I personally think that's incredibly brave (or stupid delete as appropriate)
That is sort of like saying that the people who are buying a new car are considering a Toyoya Prius or a Ford F-350 pickup truck. Probably doesn't happen so often. I suspect that most people see those as 2 different auto markets for different purposes.

Actually, the $1399 body price includes either a $170 flash or a $180 4/3 lens adapter. Still, the E-M1 is pretty expensive. When I got my E-M5 in May 2012 it was $999 including a $170 flash so my net for the body was $829. I am not interested in the E-M1 since it is a bit bigger/heavier and I don't care about the PDAF and 4/3 lenses.

Many people are willing to pay various prices for certain features. At least some people are willing to pay for much less size/weight. You aren't. No biggie. Some people are willing to pay more for a FF sensor. Some people are willing to pay for the ability to mount particular lenses. Some people are willing to pay for a brand that they perceive as conveying a certain status or image that they crave. There are all kinds of reasons.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#380,289
Canon_6D-Olympus_E-M5.jpg
(75.48 KiB) Downloaded 4830 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Well, more Nex types rumours right here on PCA http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/09/1 ... le-lenses/

A RX1 with interchangeable lens sounds great but the complications of another new mount could be a pain. (Must admit I don't fully understand the leaf shutter business.)

Exciting times :)
Yet another lens mount? Not a NEX? Oh well, this should make lots of people happy. :lol:
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Birma wrote: A RX1 with interchangeable lens sounds great but the complications of another new mount could be a pain. (Must admit I don't fully understand the leaf shutter business.)
Leaf shutters are whisper quiet and allow flash sync at any speed!

Plus they don't take near the energy to cock and deploy as the DLR's flip up mirror, open/close shutter drop mirror mechanism. This also eliminates mirror-slap shake, giving you another 2 stops of stability, even without IBIS!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Henry maybe it's down to "bad UK prices" but Olympus do seem to be one of the worst offenders out of all the makers.
Sure they are running the same "get a grip for free" as they did with the E-M5, but the price just seems unrealistic.

When all is said and done it's still a 4/3 sensor, bit like trying to get £2000 for a crop sensor body it's asking a bit much I think
In 3/4 years we'll see how this sensor war pans out, but if FF does genuinely get down to sensible prices, it's going to make it impossible to get big money for APS-C or 4/3 sensor cameras.

Saying that people seem to be happy to buy a 1" RX100 II for over £600, it's not a price I'd pay but hey
Every time I think of buying a premium compact, I just look at a blow out deal on an APS-C body and think why would I pay more for a smaller sensors?
Maybe it's just me but it kills the "buy it now" button press ;-)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The IQ seems pretty good now for 4/3rd from what I've seen, big improvement since the early days I think, and the weight and size saving is very attractive to some, they do sacrifice some focus performance for sure but I've seen a few threads lately discussing selling this or that D800+lenses or 5DMkIII+lenses for a 4/3rd setup just for the weight savings and without much sacrifice in IQ. (for normal photography)
Greg