New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Looks like Fuji might have an EM-1 slayer coming out soon...

http://www.fujirumors.com/x-t1-price-e1 ... 1200-1300/

Looks interesting enough though Fuji still need to sort their system out
Have to say for low light the Fuji's are the best I've seen for high ISO let's see if they can make sure there are no goofs this time or quirks etc
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, the new Fuji may be interesting. Not much info right now, but all those external controls will be very attractive to some people. It is always amusing to me how people think of cameras and camera companies as sports teams. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Maybe few here are interested, but there are some new photos of the E-M10 that include the back and top views also:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-e-m10-p ... -the-back/
bfitzgerald

The Fuji looks nice but I wonder if people will start getting sick of the "retro" look.
I for one think that not including a flash build in is a mistake on bodies like this

Overall spec looks quite good, and it should be a bit cheaper than the EM-1. Much as I like the Fuji's tonality, I can't find myself warming to the optics from what I've seen (there are some decent lenses, but the rendering isn't up to par on some) Fuji's major stumbling block is their crude flash system, they just have nothing at all for serious flash users.

Until they address that then I think they're not going to get the numbers of users they need longer term. Just re-badging a few sunpak flashes doesn't cut it.

EM10 price is much better, one wonders what corners will be cut to get there though?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:EM10 price is much better, one wonders what corners will be cut to get there though?
I assume you mean cut relative to the E-M5? Yeah, I think it is almost certain some things will be cut. Supposedly 1/29 is the day of the announcement. As of today's post these are the rumored specs:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-full-e-m10-specs/

Olympus OMD E-M10
- Sensor: 16.05 million pixel (same as E-M5)
- Monitor: 3.0-inch LCD. 1.04 million dots. Tiltable. Capacitive touch panel
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO200-25600
- Shutter speed: 60 seconds to 1/4000 sec
- Continuous shooting: Up to 8 frames per second
- Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC. UHS-I support
- EVF: 1.44 Million dots
- Autonomy: 320 shots
- Video 1920×1080 30p 24Mbps. MOV, H.264
- Battery: BLS-5
- Size: 82.3mm x 45.9mm depth height 119.1 x width
- Weight: 350g (body only). (Including battery and media) 396g
- Lens kit (14-42mm F3.5-5.6EZ).
- Double Zoom Kit (40-150mm F4-5.6R and F3.5-5.6EZ 14-42mm)
- Body color is black and silver
- Estimated retail price of ¥ 80,000 before and after the body only. Lens kit is around 95,000 yen. Double zoom kit is around 110,000 yen
bfitzgerald

Looking at the EM10 previews it looks bar the port and some sealing they didn't actually chop out that much really. Added a lowish power internal flash, some improvements to the rear LCD, auto brightness of the EVF, I think peaking is in there too. As well as some other improvements like wifi.

Obviously I'm no 4/3 fanboy, but credit where it's due I think Olympus needed a "decent but not too cut down more affordable offering" and this looks like fitting the bill quite nicely.

I wish Sony would actually take a look over their shoulder here, new models that are "improved" and not cut down to the bone (aka A58)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, the E-M10 for $699 (or £529 in U.K.) looks pretty good. I won't be getting one, of course, since my E-M5 is still working fine. Good to see a lower priced option though. If my E-M5 was to get stolen or something though and the E-M5 replacement was not out yet then I would probably pick up an E-M10 to use. I don't care much about the lack of weather sealing in the E-M10 since until my E-M5 I have never had it and never had a problem in 40+ years. My lenses aren't weather sealed anyway. :lol: No problems with them in 40+ years either.

Today Olympus also came out with version 2.0 of the firmware for the E-M5. That is great to see that Olympus is still updating the firmware with new features. Since the E-M5 came out there have been about 5-6 firmware updates. Some new features added and some minor bugs fixed. I never hit any of the bugs since they were mostly obscure stuff, but still good to see Olympus fixing them. Considering the E-M5 came out almost 2 years ago this is nice that Olympus is still updating the firmware. Kudos!

There were also 3 new lenses out today. The most interesting to me is the 9mm f8 fisheye body cap style lens for $99. Tiny and pretty cheap. Several times I have thought about getting the Samyang or Rokinon fisheye lens ($300) to play with sometimes, but they are big/heavy enough I know I wouldn't take them when I travel so probably wouldn't get much use. For a fisheye I don't care that much that this body cap lens has a non-adjustable aperture. If reports are that it is decent then I might get one to carry with me when I travel. So small and light it will slip in a shirt pocket or anywhere. Also, price is good. Might wait until I am in Japan to pick one up though.

The new 25mm f1.8 will probably be very good, but I already have the 20mm f1.7 pancake and I prefer the 20mm (40mm equivalent fov) for the way I use this type of lens. The tiny, collapsible 14-42mm will probably be bought by many people in kits.

Olympus has been regularly coming out with new cameras, lenses, firmware updates, etc. so it appears the company is not dead yet. :lol: Despite the angst among the perpetual handwringers. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Olympus has been regularly coming out with new cameras, lenses, firmware updates, etc. so it appears the company is not dead yet. :lol: Despite the angst among the perpetual handwringers. :lol:
Yeah, not dead yet. I hope Olympus can do well enough that they don't get out of the camera business.

Fantastic news for Olympus: E-M1 sales helped to cut 60% of the camera business loss!

http://www.43rumors.com/fantastic-news-for-olympus/
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Looking better Henry, still a way to go but better.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I hope Olympus keep going. They make innovative and interesting products which helps drive the whole industry forward. Far more so IMHO than the big two.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

I don't want to see any company go down. It's still quite unclear what the photo industry will look like in a few years time.
Going to take quite a while for that accounting scandal to die away though have to say that did quite a lot of damage to the company.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Birma, whilst I agree with your comments about Olympus, they have now for the forseable future put all their eggs in one basket with M/4/3.
A Olympus E-510 was my first introduction to DSLR's and I still have it.

In a way the older 4/3 format was almost a perfect system, no cropping problems, no lenses made for APS-C and FF, just 4/3 lenses for a 4/3 sensor with no compromise, it was a digital system designed from the ground up.
However, Olympus were almost dead in the water only after a few years as the big boys out gunned them on more or less all fronts along with some very negative reviews re noise and DR, except picture quality in my view, or at least up to 1600 ISO. Olympus quite righly earned the reputation for the best Jpegs in the busines.
Olympus desperately needed a new sensor in my view as the Panasonic one was out performed by most other sensors. If a Sony sensor had been available back then for the 4/3 format, things may have been very different today. I'm glad Olympus are still in busines but my personal choice would have been to stay with 4/3 mainly because of the superb glass they made for that format.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The EM-1 has a Panasonic sensor, which is a surprise as everyone thought they had switched to Sony sensors.
https://chipworks.secure.force.com/cata ... =panasonic
And what’s more the EM-1 has had pretty good reviews from what I’ve seen.
Greg
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Greg, you miss the point slightly, earlier Olympus 4/3 'DSLR's' were originally fitted with Kodak CCD sensors up to the E-500 and after that, fitted with Panasonic C-MOS sensors. Cameras suffered at the hands of the reviewers rightly or wrongly, but in my view they had a point but made too much of it, the end result was Olympus suffered in sales. Their CEO actually said this in not so many words.
This was just one factor in the Olympus's declining DSLR sales.
The new crop of Olympus Micro four third cameras, and in particular the OM-D EM series are fitted with Sony sensors and get excellent reviews. I hope you can now see the differences. I would have loved Olympus to have continued the 4/3 DSLR cameras but with a Sony sensor.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I wasn't disagreeing with anything I was addressing the topic of the thread which is about the E-M1 and the surprise that it has a Panasonic sensor. And yeah sure the Sony sensors are a known quantity, pretty damn good, but this Panasonic one seems pretty good too.
Actually I don't know all that much about previous Oly cameras, I never took much notice before the one Henry has, not because I didn't like them but I was pretty happy with what I already had I guess.
Greg