New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm surprised as well, I thought Olympus had dropped Panasonic sensors across all models in favour of Sony sensors or at least that's what I have read in reviews.
The E-M1 is a great camera, I wonder if the E-M10 has the same sensor. I read the EM-5 has a Sony sensor.
Obviously these current Panny sensors must be much improved from older ones used in the early Oly DSLR's.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I'm surprised as well, I thought Olympus had dropped Panasonic sensors across all models in favour of Sony sensors or at least that's what I have read in reviews.
The E-M1 is a great camera, I wonder if the E-M10 has the same sensor. I read the EM-5 has a Sony sensor.
Obviously these current Panny sensors must be much improved from older ones used in the early Oly DSLR's.
Yes, the E-M5 has a Sony sensor and the E-M1 has a Panasonic sensor. I haven't heard anything about the E-M10, but I would guess it has the same Sony sensor as the E-M5 because neither has on-sensor PDAF like the E-M1 has. I guess the E-P5, E-PL5, E-PL6, and E-PM2 also all use the same Sony sensor that is in the E-M5.

Olympus, IMO, sure could use some new naming conventions. OM-D E-M5, etc. Way too many hyphens and hard to remember where they go. OMD EM5 works okay. Or go the Apple route and name their products without all the faux-technical sounding names. Maybe name their cameras after deadly epidemics:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that. :lol:

On a different note, I really like the Olympus attitude towards warranties:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... y_home.asp

As of April 1, 2004, Olympus is offering its warranty service on an international basis, and regardless of where the specific digital camera or accessory was purchased.

So many of the other camera companies, maybe all of them, have restrictive warranties.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Initially one would be hard pressed to imagine people clamouring for an ‘Ebola’ or a ‘Bubonic Plague’ camera model but then in today’s perverse reverse logic ethos they actually might want to own the baddest on the block camera name so it might actually work.

Who knows it might be contagious and start a whole new trend with naming conventions, one Camera Company might call their models Pathogens with levels 4 and 5 and so on, and another company calling theirs Pandemics with the top model being survival zero, optional accessories include a hazmat suit with strobe light, which works very well in a media crush.

There’s lots of potential, they just discovered a new bird flu strain; they began with H5N1 and that evolved into H7N9 and it’s continuing to evolve, there are H8, H9 and H10 versions out now and one of those could become very popular, so who knows someone will think of a way to use those too.
Greg
Ps Olympus are going to kill em with that new warranty deal. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:There’s lots of potential, they just discovered a new bird flu strain; they began with H5N1 and that evolved into H7N9 and it’s continuing to evolve, there are H8, H9 and H10 versions out now and one of those could become very popular, so who knows someone will think of a way to use those too.
Sounds like they have taken a cue from camera company product naming. :lol: Those sound like Sony names. HX400, HX50V, HX7V, etc. :lol:

I think when the new Olympus Cholera body arrives everyone will agree that deadly diseases make good names for cameras. I am still pretty happy with my Bubonic Plague, but it could use some improvements. While Ebola and Smallpox are very nice they are not enough to get me to update. I am hoping when Cholera gets here though it will have have much faster wakeup from sleep mode, among other things.
Greg Beetham wrote: Ps Olympus are going to kill em with that new warranty deal. :lol:
Well, it isn't new. It has been around since 2004. I don't recall about Sony, but I often see people commenting that buying a camera in one country means you can't make use of the warranty in another country. Since I am often in other countries, and sometimes for extended time, I am glad about the customer friendly Olympus policy.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Leishmaniasis and Trypanosomiasis trip off the tongue and would stand out among the crowd. Might need to make bigger bodies though to have enough space for the name plate. :lol:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Syphilis, Gonorrhoea, or Chlamydia mayhaps...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Syphilis, Gonorrhoea, or Chlamydia mayhaps...
Thanks, Doc. If Olympus starts making DSLRs again then I think your idea to use the names of sexually transmitted diseases is excellent! "I love my new Herpes. Here look through its great OVF and check out the nice handgrip." :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Goodnes me, where's this going?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Goodnes me, where's this going?
I am just trying to help Olympus save money and return to profitability. :lol: Who knows how much money they spend on the Department of Silly Names? Just use names of something interesting such as deadly diseases and be done with it. Helps the customers too. There is something about cameras and electronics that seem to inspire the manufacturers to come up with faux-technical sounding names. Lots of rather nonsensical letters, digits, and hypens. They sound like some sort of flu virus. :lol: Auto companies, except for the Germans and Swedes, usually create names. Customer friendly.

Doc's idea of using STD names is fine with me. Great for a relaunch of Olympus 4/3 DSLRs that you have been pining away for. :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

I can see what you mean, names are a very useful tool in the advertising industry.
Take the mind blowing avalanche of cosmetic adverts on TV aimed at the female of the species. Using psuedo science with names that conjour up magic formulas for their products has become an art form and our little totties love it.
Take the Japanese car industry, they decided after the war, they would not give their cars aggressive names and this still holds true to day.
As for Olympus, I reserve judgement, but 'Stylus' I ask you, my record player had a stylus.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Actually, Stylus has another meaning. Olympus did well with this one.

American car companies use real names too.

Speaking of aggressive, most of the camera names sound like names of war fighting weapons. F-4, M16, M1A2, etc. :lol:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I believe I read that a freshly unboxed Vietnam War era F4 didn’t come with a 50mm or even any kind of millimeter which was a bit of a challenge when it came too actually shooting something. :lol:
There was a 20mm optional extra later after that shortcoming was realized, most likely due to popular demand; strangely enough was made by General Electric and true to form had a military sounding designation (M61A1). An excellent performer though it could handle 100 shots per second. Not bad for the late 60’s eh? :shock:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:There was a 20mm optional extra later after that shortcoming was realized, most likely due to popular demand; strangely enough was made by General Electric and true to form had a military sounding designation (M61A1).
I think you misspoke. Didn't you mean that it had a camera sounding designation? :lol:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

bakubo wrote:
I think you misspoke. Didn't you mean that it had a camera sounding designation? :lol:
Yes of course, sorry my bad. :mrgreen:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:I see Oly are still faking their ISO settings (DPR again seemed to have missed that surprise!)
You have said the same thing multiple times and then disappear. I am still trying to understand what you are saying and what difference your assertion makes.

This is worth reading:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/424180 ... ensitivity

Sensitivity (ISO) in digital imaging seems to be the subject of quite a lot of confusion - it's becoming common to hear talk of manufacturers 'cheating with ISO.' So we thought it made sense look at why sensitivity appears hard to pin down, why we use the definition we do and how it's actually not as complicated as it can sometimes seem.

Awhile back I pulled out my Sony A700 and my E-M5 and shot the same subject in the same light using raw. I was curious to see what the meter would do. I set both to ISO 200 and f2.8:

A700: 1/20
E-M5: 1/25

I shot another subject using ISO 200 and f4:

A700: 1/160
E-M5: 1/160

I looked at the resulting photos and they seemed to be the same. DxO says at ISO 200 the A700 is 150 and the E-M5 is 107 and yet the meters resulted in the same exposures. From a practical standpoint it doesn't seem to make any difference what is happening inside the bowels of the camera as long as the exposures for a given light level and ISO are the same among various cameras. I am talking about from a photographer's perspective.

As long as the results look good to me and I get exposures that I expect for a given ISO then I am okay. So, you can compare photos from various cameras set to a particular ISO and know that you are seeing what they do at that ISO.

I recently tried something else. I used my E-M5 and G3 with the 20mm f1.7 to take a photo. I set both to ISO 400 and f2 and took the same photo using raw.

G3: 1/20
E-M5: 1/25

DxO says at ISO 400 the G3 is 372 and the E-M5 is 214 and yet the meters resulted in almost the same exposures. Both of the photos look to be exposed the same when I open them in LR.

Barry, this time rather than disappearing how about going into some detail explaining exactly what you mean and what the practical results are for photographers? If there is something then I would like to know so that I can adjust my thinking on this issue. Thank you in advance.

Yes, the E-M1 is rather expensive and I am not interested in it. The improvements compared to my E-M5 are not enough to make me care and the increase in size/weight makes it definitely less interesting. If it doesn't sell then I suspect Olympus will lower the price. If it does sell then the price is probably okay.
Our learning and education should continue until we die.