RX10 looks interesting

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

RX10 looks interesting

Unread post by bakubo »

The RX10 has the same 20mp sensor as the RX100 II that is well thought of and it has an equivalent 24-200mm f2.8 Zeiss lens. Having a package that includes the equivalent of a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 makes the $1200 price easier to take. I have read that the zoom-by-wire is very poor because turning the zoom ring causes the focal length to change very slowly. Maybe that can be fixed in firmware? Still, this looks to be a very interesting camera. It isn't very small, but I can imagine that for some people this could be enticing. More dof, of course, than FF or APS-C, but that isn't a big deal for everyone.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: RX10 looks interesting

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've argued for some time that a bridge type camera with a more sensible 24-something range and a bigger sensor could be a good move.
The problem here is the price it's £999 on pre-order

I just can't see many people willing to shell out that kind of cash for this camera
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

It may depend on what generation you are, and whether you came up old school on film rangefinder or SLR cameras. Or for that matter were your previous cameras your smartphone for that year.

I suspect many buyers of RX family of cameras will not be your traditional middle aged male photographers, although there will be others who have decided to hang up their DSLRs as no longer required.
bfitzgerald

Not sure what a traditional middle aged buyer is ;-) I'm not there yet..

But anyway, it's a tricky one for a few reasons. Some buyers have gone for bridge type bigger zoom models rather than a DSLR such as the FZ200, Fuji X-S1 those are the better offerings in that category (ignoring the super cheap stuff)

1" sensor is ideal and this lens covers a really nice range, and it's f2.8. But it's not likely to appeal to some shooters who want big pull (ie wildlife shooter) which is ok because we've tons of super zoom models around anyway.

But honestly the concept of a bridge type camera (least from SLR days) and I bought one was "you buy the package" and get a decent lens and that's it no more cost. Thing is back then you could get a bridge model for around the price of an SLR and basic lens, so you gave up the flexibility to get a decent lens. There really isn't much of a market for a super premium bridge model that costs many times more than a DSLR, for this price you can buy some decent glass for a DSLR no problem, albeit a bigger package.

So nope I don't get it not at this price it doesn't make sense, £1000 is a lot of money to lay down and I think it's way over the top for this offering.
It's not just Sony some makers are living in a fantasy land with prices. Panasonic and their GM1, initially looked quite appealing (as a might buy this instead of a premium compact)

Until the daft pre-order price of £630 came in
I don't know what camera makers are smoking lately but it's pretty heavy stuff! They seem to be living in a bubble where they can release crazy priced products that simply don't add up. I know why DSLR's took off sales wise, for £350 odd you get a big sensor and a proper camera, sorry but this charging dumb prices for smaller sensor models is a bit of a joke..if anything I'd rather buy more DSLR's than look at this overpriced stuff.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a very good preliminary user review about the RX10 (based on pre-production unit):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera- ... sony/rx10/
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

You do realize that GM1 is not much smaller than Nex?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.397, ... 2.360,ha,t

Moreover, RX100 (the older one) has a faster lens than GM1 even if you add the sensor size difference
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:It may depend on what generation you are, and whether you came up old school on film rangefinder or SLR cameras. Or for that matter were your previous cameras your smartphone for that year.

I suspect many buyers of RX family of cameras will not be your traditional middle aged male photographers, although there will be others who have decided to hang up their DSLRs as no longer required.
I have always been pretty adaptable and evaluate cameras without regard to whether they are traditional or not. I have no idea who likes the RX1, RX10, and RX100 the most. The RX1 was of no interest to me, the RX100 was interesting but no VF so that eliminated it, and the RX10 is quite interesting.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

My Minolta D7i that I bought in May 2002 was $1000, $1300 in 2013 dollars. Hard to believe I spent that much money for it. :lol: The R1 was $1000 in 2005, $1200 in 2013 dollars. The RX10 is $1300. Not cheap, but not a surprising price. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the RX10 for $1000 in a few months.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Someone found the MTF charts for the RX10 lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52355000
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Just got around to watching the Sony (SGNL) intro video for the RX10. One thing I hadn't picked up before was the in-built ND filter (up to 3 stops). Very handy. This really is a neat camera.
Last edited by Birma on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, the builtin ND filter would be useful for some people. I have occasionally wished I had one that I could just flick on.

I don't even pay attention to video specs since I never use it, but someone posted this about the RX10 on an m4/3 forum:

If someone posted on a video forum that a camera was coming that had the specs this thing does.....stabilized, decent af in video, no line skipping, zebras, audio monitoring, etc etc and could do 4:2:2 (with a hdmi recorder) and had a Zeiss 24-200 (equiv) 2.8 lens for under $2000 (with hdmi recorder figured into purchase), I am sure there would be a great response.
bfitzgerald

DPR and IR have samples up.
I can't say I'm overly impressed, though I think the sample shots are quite boring (even more so than usual samples)
The lens looks "ok" but nothing special, the tones are quite flat and not overly interesting.

It might have a Zeiss badge but it has none of the charm of Vintage Minolta glass..or even decent Tamron glass.
No wow factor at all, maybe it's me but the images are remind me of a low contrast kit lens, no punch or micro contrast.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bfitzgerald wrote:I can't say I'm overly impressed
What was the last camera that did impress you?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I'm also not really impressed, more of I'm being *issed.

Those boys have the greatest sensor in existence, an absolutely great superzoom lens; and yet they put a dumb old hot mirror right above the sensor - and kill the sys performance completely.

I cannot understand why, as the hot mirror right above the sensor top is a thing commanded by the DSLR design, and even then it may be removed a few mm from the surface. A Nikon 1 sys has that offensive part removed from surface by about 7mm, btw. And then no single Nikon DSLR has such an ugly purple ghosting into the corners, they all are clean of that completely.

The RX-10 design allows hot mirror positioning anywhere in the lens or even at every lens element surface. Yet they put at the sensor top and voilà -
Attachments
YDSC00121.jpg
Lr4 processed having changed the SonyModelID to 297 (RX-100) with exiftool
(215.18 KiB) Downloaded 4923 times
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Btw it would seem that the only Sony camera to have no purple ghost reflections into edges/corners of the image (and no PF in image at all, since PF is of the same nature) is the A7r. And the A7 is quite badly traditional in that respect.

Looks like that removal of AA-filter also led to some beneficial changes in the sensor toppings' design. So, if I'm to buy a new Sony body, that must be the A7r or maybe some future APSC Nex sharing the same tech.