PhotoRumors and Thom Hogan - Canon to quit cheap P&S cameras

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

PhotoRumors and Thom Hogan - Canon to quit cheap P&S cameras

Unread post by peterottaway »

I know that these rumours can become self perpetuating but the claim is they a considering dropping cameras under $200. My only comment is what has taken so long ?

Unless they are selling by the shipping containers straight from the wharf there can be no profit in such things. If anyone has an interest in any P&S other than the very top of the range, this might be a good time to look out for bargains. The problem with that is you don't want to cheapen the brand with real camera stores so they may possibly be offered as a job lot to K Mart or Wal Mart. Where most of their discerning clients will only look at the discount tag and wouldn't know if the camera is a 2010 or a 2014 product.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: PhotoRumors and Thom Hogan - Canon to quit cheap P&S cam

Unread post by Javelin »

There could be profit for Canon. They could just license their name to some upstart Chinese maker.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

How about start making "interesting products"
Rather than the usual pin head junk sensors, try bigger better IQ sensors.

The obvious path to attacking smart phones has been around for ages, it's just makers being incredibly lazy and not pushing things forward.
They're trying to milk the premium compact sector, and have done nothing to advance things below that. Put a bigger sensor in a compact and no smart phone can match that, give people a reason to buy a camera, not pointless gimmicks and tacky no use features.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote:..... give people a reason to buy a camera, not pointless gimmicks and tacky no use features.
Barry, when are you going to stop talking sense and act like a corporate big-wig?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Dusty they must have seen this, like a slow motion train crash coming frame by frame.
I can't really believe that camera makers were oblivious to the developments in camera phones.

They saw it but decided to do nothing about it. If they can make a DSLR and kit lens for £300 odd, they can surely do something quite good compact wise for less
Flooding the market with the same old over pumped mp tiny sensors was never likely to work.

Last 20mp compact I tried had the IQ of a 6mp compact from years ago, just a bigger much softer image..dr better granted, more snazzy party features but little to offer people who had last years, or the year before model. I'm seeing people with fairly old compacts and they're not updating or in some cases replacing broken cameras as makers have nothing to offer them that's attractive.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Last 20mp compact I tried had the IQ of a 6mp compact from years ago, just a bigger much softer image..dr better granted, more snazzy party features but little to offer people who had last years, or the year before model.
Last summer my wife wanted a new little digicam to carry around. I ended up getting her a 16mp Canon A4000 IS for $99. I played around with it a bit and then set it to create 8mp jpegs. 16mp seemed completely pointless with it. She just uses it for snapshots so 8mp is way more than sufficient. It is small, light, and on full auto works pretty well for her. She likes it.