So I ordered a Fuji XS-1

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: So I ordered a Fuji XS-1

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well on this one the retailer swapped it out so had nothing to do with Fuji! (if you read around though on the DPR Fuji forum it's not a rare event either lens issues)
EXR mode is useful for some tasks (you can extend the DR to DR800/1600%, though the images are fairly flat) you can't shoot raw and jpeg though just jpeg

In other modes if you set image size to 6mp then you can shoot 6mp raw files, you can also shoot 12mp jpegs and raw. I've to do a more in depth look at this, there does appear to be more resolution in 12mp than 6mp (remember this isn't a normal bayer sensor) but 6mp allows you to unleash the DR without increasing the ISO levels, at 12mp the camera ups the ISO to increase DR

It sounds a bit more complicated than it is. I did note though that the raw DR on the 6mp files are rather impressive (both shadow and highlight) jpeg wise I turn NR down to the lowest settting, and they jpegs are good even at higher ISO levels.

I have to give it a proper field test, but I think the image quality is good and likely good enough even for fairly serious shooters. Obviously not up to larger sensors, but significantly better than the normal tiny sensors in some models.

The X20 uses the non EXR sensor, Trans CMOS one and some like that..but some say the DR isn't as good.
Resolution might be a bit better though. Hard to say Fuji seemed to screw up the jpegs on the X20 (X10 looks far better here) despite the improvements on the X20 I can't see it being a must have for X10 owners. The Trans CMOS raw files are quite good though. Maybe that bigger 1" sensor X camera will really step the game up, I'm sure the price won't be cheap though.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks Barry for your thoughts on the Fuji XS-1, It sounds like a good camera, most reviews gave it top marks, it has always tempted me.
I have the X10 and it is a super little camera for general work and some holidays. The lens is quite remarkable for a high end compact and Fuji sensibly stopped at 112 mm at the long end so as not to compromise optical performance too much. After lots of digging around and reading reviews, the X20 although higher resolution due mainly to the removal of the sensor filter, it really is not that much better than the X10, the overlay in the OVF is a good up grade though.
bfitzgerald

Maybe you should hang on for a few blow out deals, seems that Fuji will price cut very heavily on selected models..no doubt the X20 will drop even lower and be replaced with something else.

I've never had any interest in paying release prices on camera bodies, they lose re-sale value anyway so unless you have a desperate need for a new model it makes a lot more sense to bide your time and sit it out.
The XS-1 would be quite a good camera for folks who didn't want a DSLR, but did want a good all round performer. I think it's a nice camera and has good IQ (certainly good enough for serious shooters) I would not have looked at it had the price not screamed bargain. Nice as it is it's not a £600 camera, just as I like the X10 and X20 models but wouldn't have paid £500 for one.

Bit sick at the moment but I hope to be back out next week to really give it a good shoot.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I've decided not to throw any more money at my Sony Alpha system for sevaral reasons. I'm not that interested in the Fuji X20 either, so as I said in the past, a Bridge camera seems a logical move for the type of photography I do. I just got back from the RHS gardens in North London a lovely sunny day with blue skys, a mass of flower beds and landscapes/waterscapes and walked round with a friend who had a Fuji XS-1. I had my A57 and KM 17-35, Back at the cafe we compared pictures, the Fuji just wiped me away, but much of that I expect is me not the camera, but its really got me thinking. Most of his pics were on EXR auto.
bfitzgerald

I have the 17-35mm but I mostly use it on the 35mm bodies (it's a good lens though requires stopping down a bit more at the wide end v the 17-50mm)
It's hard to say what the differences are, I've not done a head to head side by side comparison with the A57 and Fuji. WB differences can make things look quite different at times, it would be tricky to know what the issue might be (if there is one)

Being honest, if I were not in the "need a DSLR" camera segment, I would be mostly quite happy with the XS-1 as a do it all one hit wonder type camera. It's got a nice range, doesn't do bad in low light (quite a bit better than expected actually), and has "good" image quality, not DSLR big sensor good but certainly good enough for fairly serious use (ie making decent prints)

As an addition it's a general purpose camera, for taking the odd shot of something like a product shot (pretty easy to set up with my off camera slave flashes), a day out camera (take the Fuji in the bag and nothing else needed) I have not used it for any work stuff, but depending on what you are doing it would likely do pretty well for some tasks (wouldn't use it as a main wedding camera, though you could use it for some shots)

If you do get one, just check the lens is ok, this one is fine. Mostly it's down to price it's a steal right now and even v other bridge models it's IMO a stronger offering overall
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Interesting Barry, I'm following what you are saying about the camera although I'm not really a compact type, well so far anyway. How are the response times and AF speed, start up and shutdown, things like that?
Greg
bfitzgerald

Greg start up is ok (you have a quick start option in the menu) The AF is above average for a bridge model, but not up to the daylight shooting of the HS50 (which has fast detect on sensor) that only works in good light though.

I'll play around with various AF targets, I've mostly been doing normal stuff and it seems pretty good bar the odd goof AF shot now and then. Write times are not bad with a fast card (seems to make use of faster cards esp for raw+jpeg) The EVF freeze can be off putting at times, it doesn't always happen but might annoy for action or wildlife shots (just take the shot seems to work it's just a step behind if you know what I mean)

Low light def use the AF assist you will need it, but it again seems on target

I'm not unhappy with the AF let me put it like that for a bridge cam that is.

Considering your fab location and beaches..
http://www.owenwilson.com.au/content/qt ... townsville

I think ideal for your requirements Greg..that big zoom should allow some rather good candid shooting :mrgreen: