SR4 RX100MK3 with pop up wiewfinder & fast lens

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
alphaomega
Viceroy

SR4 RX100MK3 with pop up wiewfinder & fast lens

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony ... fast-lens/
One of my trusted sources (Many Thanks!) just told me that the RX100M3 is indeed going to be announced next week on May 1. It will have a pop-up built-in viewfinder! And it has the 28-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens patented by Sony (article here). And indeed if you compare the two small images between the RX100/M2 and RX100M3 you will notice a small difference on the lens. Having a f/2.8 aperture at the tele end is really a huge improvement. And that pop up viewfinder is also an amazing addition. This two features alone will make it worth to upgrade from your current RX100!
If that is true (about the pop up viewfinder) I will have one and sell my RX100 for whatever I can get for it.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: SR4 RX100MK3 with pop up wiewfinder & fast lens

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting additions - thanks for the heads-up :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

SAR is getting more exited. He is now on to SR5
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-also ... -april-30/ adding a couple of lenses to his A77II and RX100III predictions.
I do hope he is right on this one
Sony RX100M3: Features an amazing 28-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens and a pop-up viewfinder
If Sony release an updated RX100 with a usable pop-up EVF viewfinder I am on for selling my RX100 and acquiring this new model on release. I increasingly find it difficult to use the rear screen (unless I put on my reading glasses) and there is this problem with the sun. I use the NEX-6 and a ClearViewer on my NEX-5N to avoid the rear screen problem. Bring it on Sony.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'd wait until you see the price.
The RX100 II isn't exactly cheap even now, a III version with extra bits might even push £700-£800.
As good as the images are from these cameras, there are sanity limits on pricing.
alphaomega
Viceroy

I'd wait until you see the price.
I was thinking of purchasing the A6000 body only and selling my NEX-6N before the rumour about RX100MKII. Park Cameras has it at £549 body only and £649 with the 16-50 zoom. I won't pay more than £649 for the RX100III. Park currently has the RX100II at £569. I may have to wait for the MKIII if Sony introduces with silly prices.
bfitzgerald

The mark I is quite a decent price now and seems to be selling well. If the III comes out though it makes me wonder if Sony plan to keep more than one model current (ie have the III as a more upmarket model and carry on with the II) Either way I think the I will be gone at some point. Then the II should drop quite a bit in price. If the SAR information is half right the additional lens speed and VF should win people over. I still think it's going to be pretty saucy price wise.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Sure I will wait and see the price and some trusted reviews, but for the first time in a while my hand is moving towards the wallet if this is true, good and not too crazy a price:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-last ... 70mm-lens/
The most important correction I have to make is quite surprising because one of my trusted sources corrected the RX100M3 info. It doesn’t have the Sony patented 28-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens! The RX100M3 has a new 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens! Sony decided to take away some mm at the tele end in favour of a much more wide angle lens.
I do hope this is true and if so I will also retain my RX100 (at least for a while).
This is my "dream" walk about camera. Will fit a pocket (I hope), has a zoom lens starting at 24mm and a viewfinder and will generate quality Jpegs. The RX100 does and the MkII is supposedly better at higher ISOs.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Moved from the NEX thread where I posted by mistake.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ft4-rx10 ... ay-may-15/
Perhaps the time has come for an update on this potential 15 May announcement of a significant change to the RX100 concept.
As is known now, the main changes from the RX100II relates to a changed lens from 28-100 F1.8-4.9 to 24-70 F1.8-2.8 and built in EVF. SAR reveales the main specification as
Quote:

20MP sensor (same as RX100M2 model)
ISO 125-25600
24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens
Built in View finder (SVGA OLED Tru-Finder 1440k dots)
Tiltable screen (180 degrees up)
Record in XAVC S format (Same format of the Sony A7s but with no 4K output option).
Almost same size and weight as the current RX100/M2 models.
I have been told all other specs are the same of the current RX100II model.

Unquote

Based on rumoured likely price range of EUR 800-850 and same in $ this camera could cost in excess of £700 starting price here in UK.
For me, this is a desirable camera because I miss an EVF on my RX100 and the wider 24mm would suit me. The trade-off of the 70mm constraint is acceptable. The image quality will also improve as will higher ISO performance.
I am a buyer, but the issue is when. If the price turns out to be "crazy" it will be when a noticable price reduction is offered by Sony and/or the retailers. I am continuously impressed by the image quality that 1" sensor delivers though that nifty retractable Zeiss designed lens. Apart from image quality I was surprised that using the camera to photograph moving trams not a single image was out of focus. Not a camera for sport or bird photography, but it can track and be spot on for focus.
bfitzgerald

The 1" sensor is capable, it's a notable step up from smaller sensors.
It's all relative of course I clearly notice a fairly strong difference from a 1/2.3 sensor to a 2/3 inch one (aka the Fuji I got)
Once you get to 1" and 4/3 sizes it's even more a step up..some would say the differences to APS-C sensors are not big

depends what you are looking for the faster lens speed and VF are good moves, though I think at that price point it's a fairly serious purchase for a certain type of shooter.
I'm not short of cameras now but I'd like to see if Fuji do something similar with their X series compacts. I'm probably not in the market for £700+ compacts though
alphaomega
Viceroy

We now have the full specification and detailed picture gallery of the RX100III to be announced tomorrow morning London time
Detailed images
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot- ... es-leaked/
Detailed specification
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-rx10 ... cs-leaked/
So the latter rumours were spot on with the 24-70mm (equivalent) lens, high ISO and pop-up EVF. Note retention of flash. Not much bigger than the RX100 & II. Mainly thicker to accommodate wider reach lens.
Looks to me like a desirable camera if the performance is there. Need to wait for sample images. Euro price €849.00 so that could be around £700 here in UK. $899? How is that for our North American friends? Seems to have Wi-Fi as well.
It bothers me that I could actually buy an A6000/16-70 zoom for £649 delivered from Wex Photographic, which has it all albeit in a larger package and 24Mb sensor in APS-C size. Would definitely purchase this little gem for £600. May wish to wait until the price "sinks" a bit to that kind of level.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote: It bothers me that I could actually buy an A6000/16-70 zoom for £649 delivered from Wex Photographic, which has it all albeit in a larger package and 24Mb sensor in APS-C size.
But the A6000 won't fit on your jeans' pocket...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Very nice and for a better price I would be interested, but not for $899.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

pakodominguez wrote:
alphaomega wrote: It bothers me that I could actually buy an A6000/16-70 zoom for £649 delivered from Wex Photographic, which has it all albeit in a larger package and 24Mb sensor in APS-C size.
But the A6000 won't fit on your jeans' pocket...
It also seems to be some very variable pricing as well. The best prices I looked at from a trusted dealer is A6000 body AUD 899 and the SEL 1670Z lens at AUD 1019. For the DSC RX 100.11 the Sony list price is AUD 899 and dealer price of AUD 639. It would seem that the Australian list price will be somewhere between $899 and $999.

So for its intended target audience the RX100 will be cheaper as well as much more convenient. At least in this part of the world.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

B&H has it for $798.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

320 shots using rear LCD.
230 shots using EVF.

:o I am surprised that the little EVF uses so much more power than the big LCD.