Vexing problem connecting QX10 to computer

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Vexing problem connecting QX10 to computer

Unread post by sury »

My QX10 connects to any computer for charging purpose but none of my computers (1 desk top and 3 different lap tops, Lenovo, Sony and HP) do not recognize the camera when connected to the computer with provided micro USB cable. I talked
to Sony tech reps twice and their suggestions did not help either. One reason I want to connect is to update the firmware.
There is no error message of any sorts. The charging light comes on the camera. The browser does not show the camera as
connected so there is nothing I can do in terms of resetting the driver either.
Any suggestions?

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mvanrheenen

Re: Vexing problem connecting QX10 to computer

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

A lot of things could go wrong here. I assume you use Windows XP/Vista/7/8?

For starters, remember that connecting a camera to your computer doesn't necessary mean that the camera isn't succesfully connected. Check the Device Manager for USB devices and look if the camera is mentioned.

If not, maybe no compatible driver couls be found or installed. But if this were true, you should've seen some kind of error or balloontext. You could check the System log in the Event Viewer to check for driver installation errors.

You reacht the Event Viewer and Device Manager through the Control Panel OR rightclick on My Computer/Computer and choose Manage from the menu.

Last thing that pops up: USB setting of the camera is on PTP/MTP mode. Have a look in the menu of the camera (if there is such a thing on that model) and switch the "USB Connection" setting to "Mass Storage" and connect the camera again.

If you're really stuck I'd be willing to set-up a remote session with one of your computers to help you with this issue. Just takes a bit of planning because of the time difference ;-)

Mark
sury

Unread post by sury »

mvanrheenen wrote:A lot of things could go wrong here. I assume you use Windows XP/Vista/7/8?

Correct. Windows 7 Professional.

For starters, remember that connecting a camera to your computer doesn't necessary mean that the camera isn't succesfully connected. Check the Device Manager for USB devices and look if the camera is mentioned.

There is no mention of the camera.

If not, maybe no compatible driver couls be found or installed. But if this were true, you should've seen some kind of error or balloontext. You could check the System log in the Event Viewer to check for driver installation errors.

I did SFC/scannow and found no errors.

You reacht the Event Viewer and Device Manager through the Control Panel OR rightclick on My Computer/Computer and choose Manage from the menu.

I will try the Event Viewer as you suggested.

Last thing that pops up: USB setting of the camera is on PTP/MTP mode. Have a look in the menu of the camera (if there is such a thing on that model) and switch the "USB Connection" setting to "Mass Storage" and connect the camera again.

There is no such menu option for QX10.

If you're really stuck I'd be willing to set-up a remote session with one of your computers to help you with this issue. Just takes a bit of planning because of the time difference ;-)

Absolutely. I would welcome that. I am in Pacific time zone. In meantime, I will buy another micro USB cable and try it. That would be the last variable in the equation to try.

Mark
mvanrheenen

Sorry Sury, it looks like I have no time this week to help you. Let's plan something for next week. My apologies!

Mark
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mark,
No issues. Next week it is, or the week after.... :D
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mark,
I bought a new cable and used it and worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your
kind offer.

Sury
mvanrheenen

Seriously? I would send in the defect cable in for repairs if you have any warranty options left.

Great to hear Sury! Did you manage to update the firmware this time?

Mark
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yep. Once the computer detected the device, it was a piece of cake.
I am quite happy with the image quality so far. Will post some soon.

Sury