A200 repair

Info, discussion, repair manuals, downloads, home fixes, horror stories!
rainbowcarnage

A200 repair

Unread post by rainbowcarnage »

Hi.

Newbie here. I need some advice regarding my A200 camera.

I've owned it for almost two years. For most of that time, it's worked fine. Recently, though, it started chopping off the tops of people's heads. Something is misaligned. Maybe the sensor? Or the mirror? Either way, the image in the viewfinder is not the same as in the photos. (I know it's not a full-frame camera. It's more than that. About 15% is being chopped off.)

I've googled it, and it seems to be a common issue. I don't remember dropping the camera, or banging it on anything, but I guess it's possible that I did that. Or maybe it broke on its own. Who knows. Anyway, it's out of warranty and, common problem or not, I doubt Sony will voluntarily repair a two-year-old camera free of charge.

I've looked up several repair places in London where I live. They all seem to get awful reviews. Really awful. So I'm looking further afield. I've e-mailed Camera Repair Workshop, and I'm waiting for a reply. In the meantime, I don't really know where else to look.

I guess I'm just generally frustrated with the whole thing. It looks like it's going to cost over a hundred quid to fix a camera body that cost less than £200 to begin with (I sold the lousy kit lens). I'm pretty skint at the moment, so £100 is a significant chunk of change.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A200 repair

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Rainbowcarnage - wlecome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've got with the A200. Sounds a bit like the Super Steady Shot mechanism has broken and the sensor is now misaligned. Anyway, there is a thread here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... f=1&t=4422 that describes someone going to Sony for a fix. I think you are right that it will possibly cost more than you payed for the thing to get it repaired. Ebay for a second hand one?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.