Sony Canada repair

Info, discussion, repair manuals, downloads, home fixes, horror stories!
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Sony Canada repair

Unread post by Javelin »

I picked up my A700 from Sony Canada after a failure from water entering the body. I was caught in a serious thunderstorm with no protection for the camera. this was the equivalent of running it under tap water. I believe the water entered from the screen. not from the buttons or the lens mount. the only place that water was evident after the camera dried off a few hours was fog on the inside layer of the screen face. The camera went into the shop the next day. this was 13 days ago

The camera was purchased from Best buy in the US while I didn't quite get as good a deal as some did I still got it for about 1/2 what it sold for here then. the camera had a US warranty. and I was prepared to pay for the repair. as it turned out the camera was ready about a week ago. I got to speak to the technician about a few things and he told me the room that they do calibrations in was being renovated so there would be a delay. they are in fact tearing the place apart. when I was there today there was nothing but stud walls and vapor barrier for walls. I'm actually quite impressed. I was treated well at every stage they kept me informed. I got to give the tech my list of lenses for the calibration (I have no idea if this had any impact or not) and the camera was repaired quickly. Also there was no evidence of water in the camera. and they repaired it no charge even though it had a US warranty.

I thought I would post my experience here being it's such a positive one in outcome instead of just bad news that water was able to enter the body.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony Canada repair

Unread post by Javelin »

Lesson learned. I always make sure I have rainproof bags for anything I carry away from shelter. actually it worked out good because I discovered these think tank products that are super rugged and each piece has a rain coat. I was out with my newly returned A700 earlier and a few drops of rain made me break out the covers for everything... may have over reacted there but at least I'm well practiced now :)

Previously I would have everything I wasn't immediately using in a bag I would carry and the SLR was always in my hand. I got caught a good 3 -4 miles away from my truck with a full gear bag with all my lenses and the camera in my hand. no coat or anything ... I'll admit that in the back of my mind was that the camera could take the water from rain but this was what has been typical this summer, a major downpour. the last 2 months have set historical records for rain fall. it seems we don't get a gentle summer rain now we get torrential downpours. in fact I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever used the "High" speed of windshield wipers on the cars. now there on every time it rains. it's like being in the southern US where you get hard rain for hours not minutes. I was also pretty concerned with lightening as I was well out in the open a few times while I came out.
Sonolta wrote:Whenever I am out without adequate protection I carry a large zip-lock bag or two in my pocket for emergency use.

-Sonolta