Dynax 5D colour modes article

News about new material on photoclubalpha
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Dynax 5D colour modes article

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have converted our 2005 Photoworld article on Dynax 5D colour modes and raw conversions into a web article:

http://photoclubalpha.com/2007/07/26/co ... rsions-5d/

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks for that article on the 5D colour modes David, I think I'll need to print it out so I can digest it more thoroughly.
I recently bought another printer, (I havn't designed a spot for it yet so I don't know how good it is) although I thought the old one (HP 6122) was pretty good it was only the tricolour HP style and if one colour runs low it can be wastefull, the new one is a HP 7360 and is the 6 cartridge style and is more specifically made for photo printing.
I got involved with some printing info from HP and it was saying that printers actually would prefer TIFF files over JPEG's as the former is more compatible with CMYK language that the driver is written for, and the JPEG files are basically good for RGB so they are more compatible for monitors, so they recommend saving the photo as a TIFF when intending to print.
Aint digital grand :roll:
Regards
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

This is mumbo-jumbo - when Photoshop opens a file, it does not matter whether it is a TIFF or a JPEG. That is merely a data storage format. The file is very much the same. Same goes for any application which places and processes images. If the driver uses any kind of image-queuing system - put images in a folder and have them printed without opening Photoshop etc - then it is possible that TIFFs are preferable because they require no decompression and there are fewer variants of the TIFF standard.

All modern printers using EXIF II Card Slot printing or PictBridge (with or without Print Image Management, PIM) actually prefer JPEG over TIFF and some do not even recognise a TIFF image if you put it on the card. HP is no exception and I'm surprised at what they have told you.

You certainly should not need to resave images for printing as TIFFs, or see any difference in output colours.

David