A700 - purple frame issue

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Gianluca
Acolyte

A700 - purple frame issue

Unread post by Gianluca »

Some A700 owners are reporting a new kind of disease affecting their A700s. It is the first time I read something like this, and as far as I know it wasn't happening before firmware v4 update. Officially Sony doesn't know why this is happening, and it looks like a random behavior.

Here is the original thread on Dyxum, with pictures:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36601

Mine is still working good, also with m42 lenses, but any kind of help would be appreciated.
Gianluca
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A700 - purple frame issue

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Going through the topic, I hope it is a lens related issue (to be precise: the 18-250), if not anf if the camera has to be blamed, then we all have to expect such a behavior.
Or is it kind of a virus released by C*n*n against Sony, because it's feeling its death near :twisted:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Gianluca
Acolyte

Unread post by Gianluca »

As far as we are given to know there are only few users reporting this, so we can still hope that it won't happen to our own camera...

I experienced the "First Frame Black Out" with the D5D, and I remember that the very first suggested remedy was to clean the contacts on the lens mount. I don't know why, but it looks like that every weird behavior, at least at the beginning, must be related to those contacts.

In my opinion at the moment no one has a clue about this problem, but it is useful to collect user reports.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I got this same effect the raw converter from IDC3 when viewing the new files in picasa and acdsee.

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No has clarified whether the issue only affects the JPEG preview on or in-camera JPEG. From your ACDSee view, it looks as if the selected image bottom right has been rebuilt with normal colours. Other programs do this too - they use the preview first, then interpret the raw for a higher quality result. It may be that the raw files are not affected, only the embedded previews.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

The purple ones had the exposure boosted in IDC the ones that display properly were left alone. when IDC saved them it saved as a diferent ARW version. The files aren't damagd thats just the way they show. I thought it looked similar to the ones in the dyxum post

David Kilpatrick wrote:No has clarified whether the issue only affects the JPEG preview on or in-camera JPEG. From your ACDSee view, it looks as if the selected image bottom right has been rebuilt with normal colours. Other programs do this too - they use the preview first, then interpret the raw for a higher quality result. It may be that the raw files are not affected, only the embedded previews.

David
Dr. Harout

I think whoever complained, mentioned that they saw that purple color on their camera's LCD (if I remember correctly), and not after downloading them on their PC.

Flickr
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

4000 frames, no purple view. Hopefully never.
AreSee2
Acolyte

Unread post by AreSee2 »

Dr. Harout wrote:I think whoever complained, mentioned that they saw that purple color on their camera's LCD (if I remember correctly), and not after downloading them on their PC.
I'm not sure if I would call my statement/observation about the "odd sensor behavior" a complaint, :)
But I did see the purple color in my camera's LCD.

It was just odd that the camera would go from taking fine pictures to taking purple (magenta) pictures 10 seconds later.

I have not had any problem since that time, or prior to that time.

On an interesting follow up to the raw files, I processed them with Capture One 4.1 later on my home computer.
When I adjusted the white balance with the auto setting, the program choose approximately 11,500 Kelvin as the proper white balance.
The photo looks correct at that setting.

So I winder if the problem is a white balance glitch that the camera was experiencing. I have heard about other white balance issues with FW version 4,
so perhaps that is part of the problem.

Regards,

Rick
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Ivanwatkins had a post on DPR about a medium/strong magenta bias in some of his pictures since version 4. he was also the one who found the too warm flash white ballance issue which is posted here somewhere too
Dr. Harout

AreSee2 wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:I think whoever complained, mentioned that they saw that purple color on their camera's LCD (if I remember correctly), and not after downloading them on their PC.
I'm not sure if I would call my statement/observation about the "odd sensor behavior" a complaint, :)

It was just odd that the camera would go from taking fine pictures to taking purple (magenta) pictures 10 seconds later.

On an interesting follow up to the raw files, I processed them with Capture One 4.1 later on my home computer.
When I adjusted the white balance with the auto setting, the program choose approximately 11,500 Kelvin as the proper white balance.

So I winder if the problem is a white balance glitch that the camera was experiencing. I have heard about other white balance issues with FW version 4,

Regards,

Rick
I was referring to the posters at Dyxum, not you Rick. :)

Flickr
AreSee2
Acolyte

Unread post by AreSee2 »

Dr. Harout wrote:
AreSee2 wrote:

Regards,

Rick
I was referring to the posters at Dyxum, not you Rick. :)
I know. I was the one that started the thread at Dyxum. :)

AreSee @ Dyxum = AreSee2 @ Photoclubalpha :D

I just wonder if any other A700 users are experiencing any odd magenta/purple coloring?

So far everything is still working fine with mine. 8)

Regards,

Rick
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

I Don't have the problem, and hope I won't.

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

neither does another friend of mine who has an A700. It seems that this thing/problem is quite rare.
JSSorbie

Unread post by JSSorbie »

I had the same problem with my A700 & SAL 18-250 lens combo and the camera stopped auto focusing. I sent the camera for repair and got it back yesterday. Sony replaced the CCD and tested. Its fine now....or at least for now.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: I Don't have the problem, and hope I won't.

Unread post by bakubo »

Yagil wrote:It seems that this thing/problem is quite rare.
Most of these kinds of problems are rare at first. Then later they aren't rare. Among various KM 7D problems I had mine also ultimately developed the FFB problem. Early on not many people had it, but over time more and more did.

I just got my A700 back from Sony because of the control wheel problem. I am holding my breath about this new thing.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.