Contemplations....

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
BigRich
Acolyte

Contemplations....

Unread post by BigRich »

I am a happy A200 user, but I have decided that I want to move up to the A700 level. I will need to save up, but I am wondering if ther is an A700 upgrade or successor on the horizon. I would hate to get an A700 and the next month an A750 or A800 hits the streets. Anyone hear of any rumors?

Rich
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Contemplations....

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There are none that we know of here, and I speak to dealers and Sony execs and received information from different countries - no one has hinted at any replacement for the A700 yet.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think the reason Sony tries so hard to win the megapixel war is because they mean for these models to stay around for a while. That said, after three firmware upgrades and an entry-level model that trumps it with resolution, the a700 is starting to seem long in the tooth. It is still plenty for me, though I wouldn't mind if there were a camera with the a350's sensor, weather-sealed metal body, a 100% coverage pentaprism and that "intelligent preview" feature rather than liveview. To me it seems like the body needs to be upgraded in some respect when people begin to debate between purchasing it or its younger/lesser siblings, as happens frequently between the a700 and a350.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
mastroalex
Acolyte

Unread post by mastroalex »

This summer I couldn't find the A700 for less than €1200, recently I paid it "just" €850 body only (new) in my country, Italy, and I suppose its price will drop just slightly in next months. If it drops a lot... Who cares...
I put on it a 50mm and it's still there, I forgot about noise, sharpness, resolution, I can't care less, I care only about composition.
Noone looks at these pictures and thinks about sharpness at the borders http://images.google.it/images?q=cartie ... s&ct=title
There had been rumors about A900 from before january 2008, now there are none at all and they just released the A900.
Entry level cameras are changed more often, people read 14mpixel, think "hmm, it's more than 12mpixel", buy the camera, take a couple of pics of the dog and forget it. If you don't have more mpixels than the others you don't sell.
I even went to a specialized shop, asked "how much does a700 costs here" and the owner replied "it's JUST 12mp, buy the A350 that is 14mp, it's better".
More advanced bodies are changed less often, only when they get quite obsolete, because their users care about other things, I think.
I wouldn't wait for a new camera, it will cost at least €1400/1500 and then you'll have to wait for its price to drop in the following 6/7 months, it's better to save that money and buy a good lens suitable for a future full frame camera (I kept my old Dynax 7 ones) and upgrade when full frame becomes affordable, in at least 2-3 years.
I would stick with A200, buy a used flash if u don't have one (try portraits in wireless with a softbox) and a used 50mm or upgrade to A700 and buy this stuff.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Honestly, I'd buy another a700 right now just to keep from having to change lenses. I've been very happy with mine. However, moving up to the next level might have nothing to do with a new camera, but getting the optimum lens to go with your camera system. Check out this other thread where a fellow contemplates upgrading his kit with either a new camera body or a new lens. A good lens can be easier on your wallet and more rewarding both now and in the long run.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I would suggest reading this too. A brilliant article I would say: http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/10/1 ... alpha-900/
It's not on A200 surely, but the concept may well help you in taking decisions. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

I would probably ask that question when you have the money saved up.
By then something might be on the horizon, or not.

I have the A700 and reckon that it is the bees knees at the moment, before that the Minolta 5D which I still run.
Hobbitofny
Acolyte

Unread post by Hobbitofny »

I always carry a backup camera in the bag. My camera bag has my A700. I use the A350. The results between 100 and 800 iso are wonderful. I use the a700 for times when I need over 800 iso or rapid frames per second. The extra detail, wider dynamic range and IQ from the A350 wins out over the better a700 camera body design. At the end of the day, it is the IQ of the 16x20 prints that people see and not the camera body. If you use 1600+iso or need faster frames per second, save up for the A700.

A replacement for the A700 would not be much larger than the A350's sensor. It would be faster and have other features. I think the current CZ and g glass is near their resolution limit with the A350's chip. Just as the kit lenses are near their resolution limit on the 10 meg sensors. A 15+ meg none full frame would only benfit from something sharper then the current CZ and G glass. I do not see that happening for a while.
Dale
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I basically agree with Hobbitofny's contemplations above. I happen to own the A700 & A350 as well. I tend to pick the A350 with the CZ 16-80 if I do not need fast shooting or high ISO. I want the features of the A700 but still pick the 14 Mp A350 most of the time because of the sensor and LV. I basically also think that 14 Mp in APS-C is about the limit at the moment. Look at Amateur Photographer's review of the EOS 50D 11/10/08. The 15 Mp sensor in this 1.6 extension camera is equivalent to around 17.5 Mp in a Sony/Nik. (DK in an article). Conclusion in AP:"..., but it is unusual these days to see fine detail being 'dyed' with false colours by chrominance noise at settings as low as ISO400 (in some environments) and banding in images taken at ISO2000...." They also mention specking in certain images even at ISO100 & 200.

Even Canon have come to grief with this "sensor pixel growth" trend we see at the moment. At least Nikon have kept themselves at the 12 Mp level they have now incorporated into the D90 as well as the D300.

I would think that a future A700 upgrade should probably be restricted to 15 Mp max although I would love 17.5 Mp if Sony could overcome high ISO noise at these elevated pixel levels. I doubt it though. I have recently bought Panasonic's LX3 because of its 24mm widest setting. It was interesting to note that Panasonic stated that the sensor at 10 Mp was the optimum size for this type of camera. It is good and ISO100 RAWs converted with Silkypix sail through Alamy QC without any problems. The interesting thing is that Panasonic have set a size limit for this type of sensor.