5 New cameras in 12 months; 6 new cameras in the next 12 mos

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
A1000

5 New cameras in 12 months; 6 new cameras in the next 12 mos

Unread post by A1000 »

September 2007 till September 2008
A700
A200
A350
A300
A900

A100 was not true Sony camera.

It seems hard to believe that a company could accomplish that in one year. I think that PMA will be interesting.

The next 12 months of introductions did not start yet. My bet is that between the next two PMA's Sony will introduce, in the following order:
A500
A700 replacement
A800 FF
A50 w/o OVF
A200/300/350 replacement with 2 models

That is 6 cameras.

After that the next big thing will be A1000 - combination video and still camera with high speed electronic shutter.

As Sony will later on offer also a different version of A50, it will have a total of 9 models and will become No.2 DSLR brand, aiming for No.1.

Sony will have 9 models based on 3 body sizes:

2 cameras without OVF
2 entry level DSLR's

2 advanced amateur APS-C models

2 FF
1 high speed FF

Canon and Nikon fan boys will be left behind with inferior gear. Barry will still be proclaiming inferiority of the Sony system.
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

And I'll also say,

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

That unfortunately you sound here like Sony's Marketing Division. And while I like my A700 quite a bit and eagrly wait for the A800 or the like, I'll be very surprised if other camera companies will leave the stage clear and do nothing. One can like his gear without trying to make any other maker in the world look like if he's stuck in the 19th century.

Ah, and by the way, if Sony are so great, could they please make their DSLR meter correctly with older, Film-era flash units? I definitely hate the pre-flash.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: 5 New cameras in 12 months; 6 new cameras in the next 12 mos

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I love the obsession with the very subjective ranking "No. 2 DSLR brand" and whatnot, as if All Sony can see is cameras. They're kind of a really big company, and I'm sure that they want to be profitable and ensure longevity through all of their brands. Duh.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I don't know why I keep getting my name brought up!

As I Minolta/Sony user, I see areas for improvement, that is all. I am sure companies want to hear about that, rather than "wow everything is perfect"
That list sounds a bit over ambitious to me, esp considering the current economic climate.
A700 update is due very soon, that is no shock, IF they stick to current update cycles. I have no idea what sony plan for that, don't be shocked with 15mp though...may well happen.
A200/300/350 are not due for 6 months odd..again, I wouldn't expect a major dramatic change at the A200 level, 12mp maybe..a few things here and there, but it's clearly placed as the super affordable model, so it most likely won't be busting with loads of features..simply due to the need to sell the things and lots of them.

I don't expect 2 live view models again..probably just one. We have had suggestions of an EVF based model, again, no idea on that..if they do it, I would imagine that it could replace the A350, rather than be yet another model in the line-up..I have no interest in this type of camera myself, but I don't mind, so long as we don't all get stuck with those nasty EVF's

A500 has been talked about before, but it depends on where sony want to put the A750 or whatever it's called. They can go to the near £1000 price point, pack more stuff into it, beef up the specs etc. OR they could make it near the D90 level, price wise..which could make an A500 model placement rather tricky price wise.

Don't expect a dedicated video DSLR thing, but who can say. Too early for lower FF IMO, maybe in a year or so..though many would welcome it.
A1000 does indeed sound like a sony PR machine at work! I think the list is over ambitious myself, and not likely to happen..too many cameras, with tough economic times, does not make sense to me
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I think Barry it all depends on where things are in the development and production cycles of the next generation of cameras.

As the A700 is the oldest of the current line up, it could be that the hardware development for the replacement is complete and that orders have been placed for parts. It is possible that if a replacement is due to be announced at PMA that the A700 is no longer in production. Especially if sales of DSLR's has dived like new car sales.

As for an A500 model to compete with the Nikon D90 - if it is not also ready for release then I would think that in the present economic times then such a model may be killed off. It could be hard to product differentiate with the A350. Unless it is really an adapted A350 with video.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

OK, Barry,

Now I understand your complaints about Sony. If it is just to hint them what needs to be changed, I'm with you.

What was most important for Sony was to create 3 levels of body types. They have that. They are made to make manufacturing easy. The two knobs of A100 had to go in order to make the assembly process less expensive. Sony is primarily an electronics manufacturer, that is why this philosophy. As Sony has the basic things built into the bodies, the changes would simply mean more or less circuitry change. Even the sensor is nothing more than an electronic part. Sony needed to establish the manufacturing process for these 3 different body types. Except for cosmetic changes and different electronics, nothing has to change.

See how Sony cleverly made three entry level cameras around the basic body. They will use the same philosophy around the next two levels of bodies. They have huge resources. They have a very creative Minolta teem mixed with Sony's own personnel, which was initially involved in moving into DSLR production, even prior to the K-M division absorption.

In electronics, when they put their mind into it, they start to dominate each product category fast. They dominate in audio, in video, in camcorders, etc.

Sony Ericsson is a problem, because they manage the company 50-50 with Ericsson.

LCD screen market share is where they lagged due to mismanagement by their past CEO. But they are moving fast to the No. 1 spot.

In pro video they have practically no competition.

They are very serious about DSLR's as they see the future convergence with video. That is why they started these pro photography awards in Cannes once a year. It' very much oriented towards the pro photographers.

They use the Zeiss label, very cleverly.

See them moving right into the same market share levels as Nikon and Canon - in couple of years.
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

This is the world viewed from an electronics manufacturer: focus on camera bodies.
Then you totally forget the immense superiority of the Nikon & Canon lens range (in number and types of lenses, not quality).
- Minolta 28/2.0, 35/2.0 & 50/1.7 should be reactivated (maybe add a new coating) to attack the full frame prosumer market (A900 and future A800).
- Minolta 70-210/4 (beercan) should be refreshed. So many guys in my photoclub have Canon 70-200/4L & 4L IS
- Minolta(Tamron) 17-35/2.8-4.0 & 28-75/2.8 could also be reactivated because not everyone can afford Zeiss but might still want quality
- Add some tilt-shift lenses
- Put SSM to the macro lenses
Last edited by youpii on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

I think that the problem is that not all Minolta lenses will work well w/digital FF. I think that Sony kept the ones that will and will add others in the future. You'll get a range of lenses that is FF compatible and image stabilized.

Right now Sony is mainly after the entry-level customer and unlike Canon and Nikon practically all the Sony lenses work fine w/FF and are IS.

It is true that the pros will want primarily Nikon and Canon, mainly because of their glass investment, but the average guy on the street will not see these brands as better than Sony, or maybe pretty soon he will not, hopefully even the pros will perceive Sony that way soon.

IMHO Sony should buy majorority share in Tamron or another lens maker, although their Minolta personnel have enough lens design experience.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Sonolta wrote:
A1000 wrote:
IMHO Sony should buy majorority share in Tamron or another lens maker, although their Minolta personnel have enough lens design experience.

They already own 11%...maybe they should by Sigma and Tokina as well. :lol:
A1000 is quit the troll !

-Sonolta

You are as unpleasant as the expression on your face. I could give you a little psychological explanation, but maybe you should get it elsewhere. I said majority share, which means 51% in the US and 33% in Japan. 11% does not cut it.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Sonolta wrote:
A1000....you take the biased, brand bashing, fanboy cake...bar none.

-Sonolta
Have you talked to a doctor about that?

Have you noticed the name of the forum? Do you think that there is something wrong with liking Sony? It did some stupid things for nearly a decade, because of bad management. That management is long gone and things are slowly changing.