What would be the next logical innovation for Sony DSLRs?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Re: What would be the next logical innovation for Sony DSLRs?

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

If the image isn't showing, just right click and open it in a new tab, should work. Odd.
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

alphaomega wrote: My dream camera remains the same, namely an upgraded A700 with an APS-C sensor of 17.5 Mp ....
According to this bit of rumouring http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... rface.html Sony may have your CMOS sensor in the pipeline :D
Roger
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Rogprov wrote:
According to this bit of rumouring http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... rface.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sony may have your CMOS sensor in the pipeline
I suppose that I would have to put up with a 16 megapixel CMOS sensor that Sony are rumoured to be making for Nikon. I would hope that this sensor would also appear in an upgrade to the A700. The question is whether Sony would also incorporate LV or they will fall for the high definition video instead - or both? Who knows? I have suspended all camera purchases for the time being and will be waiting in suspense.
alphaPDX
Heirophant

I'd like a mini-A700

Unread post by alphaPDX »

No, not a teeny A700 - but all the internals + intelligent preview in an a200-size body. I'd love the faster response times and the IQ that updated A700s have, but would like to keep the size down. Staying at 12MPx seems just fine. Other than adding another wheel to the A200, it's all out there right now - but I'm willing to let them improve a few things first (like D700-caliber noise levels or the backlit CMOS), since I'm not done with my A200 yet :)
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am coming back to my contributions above (earlier today) to re-state my case for an updated A700. This is the oldest DSLR in Sony's current line-up and surely due for an upgrade in 2009.

A1000 wrote above
Back iluminated sensors will come first with smaller sensor sizes.
Maybe that will start in the A700 upgrade.

I would hope that the rumoured Sony 16 Mp sensor will display a stronger signal to noise ratio than the current 12 Mp Exmoor APS-C sensor thus enabling Sony to produce a sensor that will blow the 50D out of the water at lower ISOs (up to and including ISO800). That will do me for starters, particularly if LV is incorporated without reducing the A700 OVF size or quality.

For the benefit of FF supporters I believe Sony will then double up and produce a successor to the A900 with 32 Mp and even better IQ, resolution and low noise. Nikon will follow and maybe leave Canon with a problem unless they are themselves preparing to join in this continued Mp race without an obvious end.

I am not a professional photographer and is far behind the likes of DK & Sonolta (to mention just two contributors) in photographic knowledge and experience, but I do belive in the A900 concept of a superior photographic tool optimised for a particular purpose as all tools are a compromise between competing demands and constraints. My hope is that the A700 replacement will be optimised for the same segment as the A900 is trying to cover FF (but with LV - thanks).
fastson
Heirophant

Unread post by fastson »

Improve on noise, I think the A700 V4 is a nice step in the right direction. I am very impressed with the A700, I often shoot 3200 and the results are good. ISO6400 can turn out great if you dont underexpose. A900 was a little of a let-down for me, but it rules in other areas.

Video built in, while its not really what we are after with dSLRs, its a nice feature to have. If the quality is good enough being able to use your alpha lenes is worth gold. I understand Sony already has proper videocameras that support the alpha lenses, but these cameras are very-very expensive.
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think a better in-camera JPG engine and/or RAW conversion software could be just the ticket for Sony. Shooting RAW is the way to go for best results, of course, but to make the most of that RAW file, one must buy third party software like Aperture or Lightroom. Sony's RAW files are nothing to sneeze at, but next to these other converters, the SIDC seems to make a huge waste of a Sony's resolution.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

A700 replacement will not use back iluminated CMOS. The manufacturing process is very complex, so it will appear in the small sensors first. Sony will not be able to improve the larger CMOS sensitivity for a while, except by making the spaces between the photosites smaller. Back illumination and high speed shutter as a part of the CMOS will be the new major innovations.

Sony needs to devote more software resources to the JPEG engine, etc. It seems tahat their software people were all concentrating on the Blu-Ray technology, Playstation live, content downloads, etc. and the DSLR firmware problems were totally ignored. Sony certainly has superb resources in this area, but unfortunately has other priorities; that is why Canon and Nikon beat them in this area.

It's only matter of time and Sony will catch up. It however takes too long. A700 V4 took so long to implement; A900 JPEG engine is so poor, etc. Hope they start cooperating in this area with Nikon. Sony's software resources were apparently allocated to where they see more profits. They get their market share via proper marketing and some advanced technology, but they don't have the resources allocated to solve simpler tasks like proper JPEG engine.

alphaomega wrote:I am coming back to my contributions above (earlier today) to re-state my case for an updated A700. This is the oldest DSLR in Sony's current line-up and surely due for an upgrade in 2009.

A1000 wrote above
Back iluminated sensors will come first with smaller sensor sizes.
Maybe that will start in the A700 upgrade.

I would hope that the rumoured Sony 16 Mp sensor will display a stronger signal to noise ratio than the current 12 Mp Exmoor APS-C sensor thus enabling Sony to produce a sensor that will blow the 50D out of the water at lower ISOs (up to and including ISO800). That will do me for starters, particularly if LV is incorporated without reducing the A700 OVF size or quality.

For the benefit of FF supporters I believe Sony will then double up and produce a successor to the A900 with 32 Mp and even better IQ, resolution and low noise. Nikon will follow and maybe leave Canon with a problem unless they are themselves preparing to join in this continued Mp race without an obvious end.

I am not a professional photographer and is far behind the likes of DK & Sonolta (to mention just two contributors) in photographic knowledge and experience, but I do belive in the A900 concept of a superior photographic tool optimised for a particular purpose as all tools are a compromise between competing demands and constraints. My hope is that the A700 replacement will be optimised for the same segment as the A900 is trying to cover FF (but with LV - thanks).
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

I think Sony will come with the 3th generation of its DSLR system...

This next year should come the sustitute for a700, a200, a300 and a350.

I think we will see a new CMOS technology, LCD, LV, video and peformance...
-New CMOS sensor APS-C with ISO 12.800 for a700 sustitute, more resolution and electronical control and shutter.
-The first LCD 3" HD and tilting
-New AF system with LV and video
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum.
May I presume you're the same Alexander Ramos from Dyxum?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

Yes... thank you...
Very similar my name?? :wink:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Except for the number 7 :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Is there anyone here worrying about the financial status about Sony?
Repeatedly heard from my friends using Nikon/Canon discouraging me for further investment.... :( :(
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

1. Simple fear and loathing.

2. Sony has been increasing market share very quickly, so perhaps some Canon and Nikon fanboys are in the deep dark recesses of their egos are being challenged about whether they made the right choice or not.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Mark K wrote: Is there anyone here worrying about the financial status about Sony?
Repeatedly heard from my friends using Nikon/Canon discouraging me for further investment.... :( :(
Sony has very deep pockets compared with Nikon. You would have to inspect Sony's annual corporate reports very closely to even find the total revenue from DSLR sales. As long as the camera division is meeting its goals, I doubt that you have any cause for concern - and I have read that the camera division is actually exceeding their goals.

The camera divisions of both Sony and Canon are part of large corporations that seem to be financially stable. A drop in DSLR sales due to the general economic downturn should have little effect on the overall fortunes of these corporations. Nikon does not have that luxury of a very diverse line of different types of products, and they are probably much more vulnerable to a depressed economy than either Canon or Sony.

With best wishes,
- Tom -