Panorama with MS ICE

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Panorama with MS ICE

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I just heard about this recently (was it recently released?) and of course had to try it. I've tried several panorama programs, and some are more automatic than others.

This one is both one of the most automatic and with some of the best results. Slick. I think this may be the best I've tried, at least without a lot of effort. It is better than Autostitch, which is a similar automatic program.

(Note that some of these programs adjust for exposure differences.)
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Thanks Barry. Most of my Panos have been hand held. Does one needs to use tripod?
If one were to use tripod, does one needs any additional/special contraption?

with best regards,
Sury

bfitzgerald wrote:I have a no. of shots for panoramics, that I have chanced it on. In other words I was lazy and didn't set up the tripod etc..

They are hard to align on some software solutions. Most of the time, the arcsoft one can nail it, not always. But I went through some serious testing various programs, and that one did IMO deliver tricky ones more consistently. Also you have a full 360 option too. I know arcsoft is known for cheapie software trial ware etc, but they have a pretty good program there.
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You don't need a tripod, but it would not hurt to have one for panos.
The do make special pano heads for them too, but I have never ventured into that area.
Never hurts to keep things as tight as possible..
Saying that, the one pano I did get published was hand held, no AEL, no WB set..was on auto. Being honest it I decided to let the highlights go on the right, that was a deliberate choice.

But many of the pano programs did not like stitching it, though a few did it fine.

alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

sury wrote:Most of my Panos have been hand held. Does one needs to use tripod?
If one were to use tripod, does one needs any additional/special contraption?
Sury: As Barry says, for some panoramas a tripod is not necessary, but it is always recommended and… sometimes unavoidable. With good light conditions and distant enough subjects in the overlapping areas (as well as great care and a bit of luck with your stitching program) you will have good chances of success (Barry’s published pano is a good example). But when the light is low a tripod is, of course, as usual, necessary, and when the overlapping areas are close enough to the camera not only a tripod but even a specialized panoramic head (I don’t use them) would be unavoidable.
Alfonso
sury

Unread post by sury »

Barry, Alfonso,
Thank you. That was certainly most educative for me.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper