Civility

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mdcromer
Initiate

Civility

Unread post by mdcromer »

I would like to invite all of the participants on David's very interesting forum here to conduct ourselves with civility and respect for one another. We can't change the past, but we can change how we act and react toward one another from now forward.

Life's too short to do otherwise. . .

Peace and Goodwill,

Matthew C.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Civility

Unread post by aster »

mdcromer wrote:I would like to invite all of the participants on David's very interesting forum here to conduct ourselves with civility and respect for one another. We can't change the past, but we can change how we act and react toward one another from now forward.

Life's too short to do otherwise. . .

Peace and Goodwill,

Matthew C.

Hello Matthew, :D

I'd gladly like to support you with your wish to see and read more civil and considerate messages on this particular forum...

Merry Christmas! :D

Yildiz
paulobro
Initiate

Unread post by paulobro »

aster wrote:I'd gladly like to support you with your wish to see and read more civil and considerate messages on this particular forum...
Does someone's output bother you? Feel someone should be expelled from the forum? :twisted:
Easy: go to User Control Panel and set that gent as 'foe'.
You'll never notice that one again, unless you want to. 8)

How civil can you get? :wink:
Paulo Brochado
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

paulobro wrote:
aster wrote:I'd gladly like to support you with your wish to see and read more civil and considerate messages on this particular forum...
Does someone's output bother you? Feel someone should be expelled from the forum? :twisted:

Ha. Brilliant! Mister "you know who" is the main reason I avoid this forum.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

paulobro wrote:

Hello Paulo, :)

I knew about the feature since my registeration, but I never thought I would need to protect my eyes and mind, so I never activated it but I did as you suggested about an hour ago to block a certain personality.
Unfortunately though, the feature works only when one is logged into their account and if you happen to be offline and visiting the forum as a visitor the feature is off and the messages that you otherwise could ignore becomes visible again...that's too bad!

I'll try to log in evertime I visit the website to avoid some peculiar messages.

Thanks for the reminder :D
Yildiz
paulobro
Initiate

Unread post by paulobro »

aster wrote:the feature works only when one is logged into their account and if you happen to be offline and visiting the forum as a visitor the feature is off and the messages that you otherwise could ignore becomes visible again...
Hey, Iildiz.

At login you can check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box, and the feature will be always on...

Have a merry one.

Paulo
Last edited by paulobro on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulo Brochado
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

paulobro wrote: Hey, Iildiz.

At login you can check the "Log me on automatically each visit", and the feature will be always on...

Have a merry one.

Paulo

Thanks Paulo, :D

I hope you and your family enjoy a very merry Christmas as well! :)

I am one of those people who clean their browser's cache every couple of hours during the day as a precaution hence the deletion of all my website cookies and I have to login each time I visit Photoclubalpha website. Logging in is easy and fussless though, as I use Microsoft's Roboform to log me in automatically everytime for the many different accounts I have on the Internet.

Thanks once again,
Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I was expected a couple post with a couple dozen urls in them all ready linking to something believed to do with Civility by Sonolta all ready.
mdcromer
Initiate

Unread post by mdcromer »

Thanks Paulo.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I've never done that before on any forum I've been a part of. Unfortunately it appears that some people have no interest in being civil. And so the deed is now done. . .
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have appealed before for some reduction in the intensity of certain contributions. The problem is that Sonolta comes away with a lot of good pieces of information. All in life is a balance. Do we want Sonolta the way he is and the valuable information he provides or are we put off by his style?

I for one would like him to moderate a bit but I would miss his contributions however "overwhelming" they can be at times. He is a Minolta/Sony user but he can see the advantages and shortcomings of this system. I have been convinced that Sony is lagging behind Nikon in getting the best out of the same "raw materials" i.e. the sensor. I do hope that Sony will pick up on some of the "tricks" Nikon employ and issue a firmware update for the A900. I could do with one for my A350 as well as it is noisy even at ISO200 in the dark shadows when these are opened up a little. I love my Sony equipment but I do realise that improvements can be made, particularly in the area of noise.

David Kilpatrick and Sonolta have done sterling work in throwing light on these problems and the potential causes. In this world you do not get anything for nothing. Not even the banks, so my thanks to all the contributors who have provided useful information in how to improve on the use of our Minolta/Sony equipment and my hope is it will continue into the new year.

I have no intention of exluding any contributor from my viewing.

A merry Xmas and a happy new year to all of you from Scotland.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

For my part, I do not enjoy any of the exaggrated manner of ambushing with or without photos by Sonolta. At times, the condescending usage of speech he adheres to has nothing to do with Sony or Minolta or other brands. Once he decides for himself that someone is not of the same mind or is not blindfoldedly following his flooding messages, any member becomes the target of his verbal attacks and the words he uses are not good ones either. They are name-callings, they are disrespectful, ignorant adjectives that extend to wherever he wishes to strecth them.

I learned nothing from Sonolta's posts. I registered to this website and forum for David Kilpatrick only and got to know the other members later on. Most are really genuine and sincere contributors with a sense of well-balanced self-respect and I LEARNED from these people and admired their works too. I also learned nothing from the flooding indoor or outdoor photos of this particular person. They had absolutely no impact on me because these kinds of images can be found anywhere and he made a habit of repetitive postings just to spite those that don't enjoy them the most. It appears as though he is here for self-satisfaction, self-indulgence, self-justification which I don't agree with at all. He turns every thread he barges in into his marketing arena. This is exactly the reason I came to this forum in the first place: I don't want my presence to be exploited by the likes of people who approach every audience as a potential marketing target. I absolutely am not interested in his repetitive declarations of how many he sold, how many he published, how many were viewed or not.

I am already the kind of person who researches for her own interests and as it happens I found that I read the sources well before he linked to this forum or not. I need nobody's ambushing mentality and will continue the blocking of this certain person's messages.

I wasn't raised to tolerate disrespectful enforcement of self-indulging, self-promoting, disrespectful people, especially if they are deliberately and persistantly doing so just to have their own ways and annoy people. Humanbeings are too valueable and dear to snap back in this manner. I don't want to look like as though I'm fine with this at all; can't be part of this 'you've got to put up with me no matter what' logic, there are many more worthy other readings and people to stand by.

Yildiz
snowflake

Unread post by snowflake »

I was previously a nonregistered reader of this forum, but Sonoltas manners "forced" me to register here so that I could put his posts on ignore. And what a releafe it was! The civility coefficient for this forum is now up to almost 100%! :D
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I actually went to this forum because David Kilpatrick was first excluded from DPReview and then decided not to re-appear when permitted to do so.
I have found that it is much easier to acquire useful information here about how to use my Sony DSLR equipment. Most of what is posted on DPReview is the kind of stuff the Sonolta would label "fanboy" etc. You will often spend a long time to find anything of value there compared with here.
I chose Sony because overall I thought it was the best choice. I Believed (and still believe) that the three dominant players will be Canon, Nikon and Sony. I think that overall Sony was the best choice for me because of the combination of SSS, DRO good navigation and ergonomics plus the fact they are the sensor suppliers both to Nikon and Sony's own DSLR division. I am happy with the lenses I have but Sony is behind the other two. They are bringing out new CZ and G lenses that are as good as or better than the NIK/CAN offerings.
The point I want to make is that in the overall picture of competitive advantage David Kilpatrick through his persistent trying has identified Sony's weakness, namely the excessive noise in the black areas and blue sky and the potential causes thereof - particularly but not solely in higher ISO images. Sonolta has amply assisted in pinpointing these important problems. There is no point in trying to minimise the accomplishments of these two gentlemen. In my humble opinion Sonalta has also provided a lot of useful information and I am eternally grateful to DK for having so selflessly published knowledgable articles both about Sony's strengths and weaknesses as well as ways of benefitting from the strengths and finding ways around overcoming the weaknesses.
I am unhappy about the way things have been developing lately and I would like to see a toning down all round. Hauling abuse at each other leads to nothing good.
This is an excellent forum for gathering information about how to better your photography and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment we use.
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Sonolta’s rhetoric is brutal and agonistic, a sort of rhetoric typical of ancient oral societies which sounds totally incompatible with today standards of written communication (especially between strangers). So Matthew C., Yildiz and others: I quite understand you! At the same time, Don is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful and generous members of this forum (it is not unusual, for instance, to find posts of him giving advice to newbies or answering their questions). So no, I won’t exclude his posts from my viewing: I tend to read his prose as a modern example of ancient epic.
Alfonso
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Don has been sent a warning (because of his completely unjustified attack on Aster - Yildiz). I've said before that I do not want to ban Don as he has periods when he can be helpful and almost come over as a warm human being. Maybe this is not a good week for him. Written words, doesn't matter whether it's in a letter, a text, an email or on a forum are sometimes too easy to write in anger, contempt or whatever. I do not believe that if you met Don personally he would treat you the same way. If he was really like that, there wouldn't be a single cheerleader, squirrel or cichlid willing to give him a smile.

David