New A800 Rumour

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

New A800 Rumour

Unread post by alphaomega »

Just Googled Sony A800 and apart from references to a Sony competitor I came across this link: http://www.photographybay.com/2009/01/21/sony-a800/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two potential options listed for an A700 replacement termed A800.
Sony A800 Rumored Specs (version 1)
body design similar to A700
100% OVF (pentaprism bigger than A700)
15.2Mp APS-C CMOS
ISO 200-6400 expandable to 100 & 12800
Quick LV
flippable back LCD
6.5 frame per second
New high speed flash sync
9 double cross f/2.8 AF sensor (23 total AF sensor)
New metering and AF sensor with tracking and previous focus
Dual AF Ultra-Speed motor ??
Wi-Fi built-in
Dual memory card slot CF & MS
New battery
A700 grip will be compatible
micro AF adjustment
full function eyestarter (pre-focus)
(via DPR)

Sony A800 Rumored Specs (version 2)
15.2Mpx APS-C CMOS Exmor “R” sensor
ISO 100-12.800
6.5 frame per second
New high speed flash sync
9 double cross f/2.8 AF sensor (23 total AF sensor)
New metering and AF sensor with tracking and previous focus
Dual AF Ultr-Speed motor ??
Wi-Fi built-in
Version 1 thought to be "pie in the sky" due to 100% viewfinder and LV. Not possible in the shown pentaprism.
Note reference to CMOS Exmor "R" sensor in version 2 and ISO100-12.800. There is something brewing and I am glad that I held off purchasing a second A350 in December.

A1000 should know by now what is brewing in the Sony/Minolta DSLR division. There is definitely something in the pipeline -at least I think so.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: New A800 Rumour

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Perhaps I missed it the first time I read this rumor, but I'd be pretty pissed if Sony changed the battery again. The common batteries between bodies is a pretty strong selling point for the system.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

KevinBarrett wrote:
Perhaps I missed it the first time I read this rumor, but I'd be pretty pissed if Sony changed the battery again. The common batteries between bodies is a pretty strong selling point for the system.
But you can now purchase a third party Sony NP-FM500H battery on ebay for around £10.00 and it works fine, so surely it is time to introduce a new one!?
It may fit the same space and be used in the A200-700 as well providing longer life. Time will show.
I have always wondered if Sony so far have omitted to do something about the noise at higher ISOs in the cameras released to date (except for A700) because they were planning a more radical solution such as the introduction of CMOS Exmor “R” sensors in both their APS-C and FF DSLRs. We shall wait and see. I for one would be tempted by this rumoured A800, particularly if the LV is part of the package together with a proper OVF as opposed to the A300/350 with "tunnel vision".
The introduction of this CMOS Exmor “R” sensor would also presumably keep Nikon in the Sony sensor camp as no other fabricator would be able to offer this technology for the time being. I reckon that for the Sony sensor division Nikon is a prime customer purchasing more sensors than the Sony DSLR division.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Have to agree, I think a battery change would be a bad idea.

It's possible to make power saving solutions in camera, aka processing etc..they always get better over time. IMO it was unfortunate that the A100 was not info lithiumed, we had one change already. I don't care much, as I have 1 genuine sony battery, that came with the camera, and 1 3rd party one, that cost £10.

I suspect that what we end up with camera wise, maybe not be what people are expecting.
alphaomega
Viceroy

My mind has been exercised by the prospect of potentially seeing a replacement for the A700 this spring. (Wishful thinking?)
I will dig into my wallet if such a camera comes in at the specs rumoured. Particularly I like the idea of lower noise at higher ISOs and if up to ISO 12,800 Sony must be confident that they have "cracked this particular nut". Presumably that would mean decent low noise up to ISO 3200. The larger sensor above 15 Mp would mean enhanced cropping when using wide angle lenses to correct distortion. Another feature I would like is built in HDR. One of the problems with HDR is enhanced noise. If a successor to A700 had a superior noise performance clean HDR images would be easier to make. I am here referring to images that would pass Alamy and similar QC inspection. I am not really interested in video, but I would also like LV on minimum articulated 3" panel with OVF at least as good as A700 if not better. As a minimum I would want all the other A700 features including the detailed ISO settings, DOF preview etc. If Sony can deliver the goods along above lines and keep price below £1,100 body only I will definitely purchase.
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

I don´t think so...

Sony can make a new battery with the same design like to the battery of a200/a300/a350/a700/a900, but more powerful.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

alexramos7 wrote:I don´t think so...

Sony can make a new battery with the same design like to the battery of a200/a300/a350/a700/a900, but more powerful.
Yes, but can it be still charged with the same charger, and will camera firmware accurately recognize the charge level? The second issue may be minor, bot at the price Sony charges for a charger (no pun intended), the first issue may mean it's a no-go for many.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
KevinBarrett

So, do I hop up and get an a350 kit for $500 at Circuit City or do I wait for the a700 successor... help!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Get an 800 when Best Buy goes down :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
KevinBarrett

Winston wrote:Get an 800 when Best Buy goes down :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: Soon we'll be getting our cameras and accessories at Wal-Mart!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

KevinBarrett wrote:
:lol: Soon we'll be getting our cameras and accessories at Wal-Mart!
Don't laugh. I saw some Alpha stuff at W*M, back around the A100 timeframe. Not sure why I haven't seen anything since. (Too bad, I couldn't find anyone with a cheap Sony battery.) Perhaps Sony's SURE program doesn't agree with W*M?
KevinBarrett

I actually saw an a350 in there around Christmas time, but all you can get to compliment it is a $20 filter starter kit...they didn't even have the NP-FM500H!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

KevinBarrett wrote:...they didn't even have the NP-FM500H!
Of course, I can't get that from Ritz Camera either, where I bought my camera and a lens, and where you'd think you'd find it. No, the only place I could find it was Best Buy. And this is before this cool sale I just read about on DPR. :(
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Can I please have ver. 1&2 combined?

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

Anything to offer A700 IQ (or higher) with LV and faster focusing will be a great camera. Now, I should only win the lottery...
Dusty

Re: Can I please have ver. 1&2 combined?

Unread post by Dusty »

Yagil wrote:Now, I should only win the lottery...
Don't tell anyone if you do! Otherwise everyone will have their hand out!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).