If I had to choose one raw converter for A900

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
kuau
Acolyte

If I had to choose one raw converter for A900

Unread post by kuau »

I know there is no one raw converter that works "best" with the A900 but if I only shoot iso 100-400 what would one recommend?
I am a windows users. I have LR 2.3 right now
thanks
douglasf13
Heirophant

Re: If I had to choose one raw converter for A900

Unread post by douglasf13 »

Whilst having a great workflow, Lightroom (and ACR) is among the worst converters for A900 files at this time. I've abandoned LR completely. Aperture and Capture One are great choices while still maintaining a nice workflow. RPP and Raw Therapee are probably the very top of the heap, but are geared towards a slower, more deliberate approach with PP in photoshop after conversion. It's really up to you to decide how you want to balance workflow with output quality, and I've personally switched to C1, because I think its a nice balance between the two.

p.s. the new Bibble V5 looks to have promise when it's released, and I know some are having good success with Silkypix and DxO as well, but I haven't tried them.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

I'd like to concur with Douglas, C1 is my NR 1 choice for raw converter for Sony. I've tried LR, CS4 and Aperture. Aperture too is nice. I've also tried DxO and whereas it has some nice features I find it considerably slower, annoying in the sense that several actions of PP are not visible except if you enlarge the picture to at least 75% ,and noise reduction, imho, simply is not as good as in C1. It does have the feature of being able to correct specific lens defects. For the moment my workflow is C1, then output to TIFF and if necessary go to Noise Ninja or Aperture for some further PP (if at all required which is extremely seldom). (Slideshow for the moment is with Aperture but I intend to have a look at Fotomagico.)
marktuma
Initiate

Unread post by marktuma »

Capture 1 for me as well. I'm very pleased with it's output.
TallPaul
Acolyte

Unread post by TallPaul »

I have not had great success myself with the bibble 5 preview... I am tempted with Aperture but it runs slow on my macbook, and I can't use capture one unless I upgrade to OS X Leopard :(