Sony quality control problems

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony quality control problems

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Bengeo wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote: SanDisk trusted the Alpha 77 enough to use it at their big London event last week, because the Alpha 77 is the only camera made which can use their new ultra fast SDXC cards - clearing the buffer in 18 seconds after a 12fps RAW burst, instead of the 45 seconds reported for SDHC cards of the fastest current speed. I would hazard a guess that latest firmware versions were used.
David - are you sure about those timings?

I've got a Sandisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s card and my A77 (1.02) clears the buffer in about 15 seconds. I've got the Sandisk 90MB/s SDXC card on order and I would hope that will clear the buffer in under 10 seconds!

Andy
No, I am not sure, I did not attend the press event but Richard K did and these were the figures they quoted - maybe the comparison was with something less than an Extreme Pro, perhaps with the minimum spec advised by Sony. When we went to London A77 event, Sony gave us Class 4 SDHC 4GB cards...

But it seems the A77 is the first DSLR/SLT which can actually use SDXC. Given that Canon is an official partner/recommender of SanDisk, he was surprised to see the Alpha 77 featured by SanDisk. The compatibility must be the reason.

David
Bengeo
Initiate

Unread post by Bengeo »

It's good to see SD cards catching up with CF ones and Sony getting the attention.

Now if only they had put 2 card slots in the A77 .... but I won't be negative ... :wink:

Andy
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David, your enthusiasm for the a77 on this and other posts is becoming so infectious I am greatly tempted to buy one. Hopefully it will be a good sample :wink:
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

What happened to Henry?
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

[SiC] wrote:What happened to Henry?
He's probably either at the beach shooting photos or off on one of his treks somewhere.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I ran across this

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a580-contro ... 84436.html

Seems a more common issue than we might expect across various models. Personally I didn't have any problems with the A200 (though it was not heavily used really) The 2 5d's I have are working fine, and no problems to report on the 35mm bodies I have either.
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

In my family the Sony system camera statistic is: 3x A100, 3x A700, 1x A500, 2x A550, 1x A580, 2x A900, 2x A55 and 2x A77.

There have been no problems with the cameras, except one A700 rear control wheel (drowned in heavy rain). The A100 cameras are still in use and take a lot of abuse from young photographers. For lenses the only repair I have had was the Zeiss 24-70 mm zoom (focus mecanism trouble).

I also have friends that are using Sony cameras, and I have not heard about any repair.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow Magnar - that is a good tally for an a-mount family :shock: . Sony should be sponsoring you - it would make good advertising!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I still have the control wheel problem on my a580. Seems to manifest itself only after an hour of shooting outdoors, then stays for the whole shoot. Sometimes it drives me crazy, but we've lost the receipt, I'm kind of stucknwith it for now. Still love the camera though!

Mark
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

Birma wrote:Wow Magnar - that is a good tally for an a-mount family :shock: . Sony should be sponsoring you - it would make good advertising!
We are keeping the Sony camera division going! :D
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Can't beat or even match Magnar Fjortoft for Sony cameras, but this family has one R1, two A700, two A350, one A550, one A580 and one NEX-5. So far no problems to report on these cameras. My son is using the oldest A700 and will bring home up to 10,000 images from a continental tour. That camera must have taken hundred of thousands of pictures and still going strong and so is the battery.
bfitzgerald

bfitzgerald

Another LCD issue thread

http://www.dyxum.com/DFORUM/a55-protect ... 81335.html

I can't comment on the newer models but my A200 LCD was soft as butter and very easily damaged. The LCD protector is a must for that model.
I'd go with GGS for general LCD protection never had a problem on those (some break them removing them)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Another LCD issue thread

I can't comment on the newer models but my A200 LCD was soft as butter and very easily damaged. The LCD protector is a must for that model.
I'd go with GGS for general LCD protection never had a problem on those (some break them removing them)
David had the same problem with his NEX 5 and wrote about it here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/1 ... ver-glass/
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Another LCD issue thread

David had the same problem with his NEX 5 and wrote about it here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/1 ... ver-glass/
This are two different problems. The NEX3/NEX5 glass get a sort of chemical reaction over the time. I need to replace mine also and I'm not sure if I'll send it to Sony or if I'll do it myself.

The Dyxum guy just peel off the original protection on its screen when he tried to replace his "protection"
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;