Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 am

Sonolta wrote:I have used AS/SSS for the last half decade on longer with the z3, z5, A2, the KM5D, the Sony a100, and now the Sony a700. Please post a few of your extreme handheld 300mm shots and a few of your best hand held 450mm slow SS shot samples.


Let me borrow the long lenses and I will. Most of my stuff is wide angle. I am sure that is why I get decent results...

stevecim
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Australia

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby stevecim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 am

rush2112 wrote:Don, you sure are a tornado of replies. Look, one thing at a time. My goodness man calm and easy.

You are trying to compare an aps advantage to an ff advantage, and they are like I said - oil and water.

You act like im trying to talk you into the A900 or something. I said to keep your A700 for what you do and that it is probably the best solution for what you do, so what gives?

Bottom line they cannot be cross compared without equal lenses with the exact same FOV because such lenses do not exist for APS and FF, because they are designed differently for APS than they are for FF obviously.

The A900 has more resolution at a given FOV, that is my point.



From a newbie :) Yes the A900 has more resolution at a given FOV, but Don asked a valid question, that I would like to know the answer to, David maybe can help, since he has both the A700 and A900,
If you use the same lens at it longest end on both cameras, then crop the A900 image to match the same FOV has the A700 image, which image retains more detail?

It may well be that they are the same or the A700 has more detail or the A900 retains more detail. I think it's a valid question.
If your thinking of moving from a APC to FF it would be nice to know that you will be no worst off once you crop to get the same FOV or to know that you will have to factor in longer lenses when changing from APC to FF .

User avatar
Winston
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho, USA, 3rd Planet

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Winston » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:37 am

stevecim wrote:From a newbie :) Yes the A900 has more resolution at a given FOV, but Don asked a valid question, that I would like to know the answer to, David maybe can help, since he has both the A700 and A900,
If you use the same lens at it longest end on both cameras, then crop the A900 image to match the same FOV has the A700 image, which image retains more detail?


The A700 wins because its sensor has a higher pixel density. The A350 is even denser.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:39 am

Sonolta wrote:Exactly as I figured. Many cameras do very well with image stabilization at the wide end.

Thanks anyway.


Dude, why the snippy response? I am just here to learn. I have been nothing but cordial.

Were you born a jerk or did you have to work at it?

If this is the level of community here, thanks, I think I am done with this forum....

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am

Sonolta wrote:my reply to you was perfectly appropriate.


Well you can make your point without being a pointy stick.

Or maybe YOU can't....


EDIT: Nice edit job to add "REASONABLE". No, it wasn't. As I said, I am just here to learn. I think you have a lot of knowledge, you don't have to be but with the way you hand it out.
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 am

Sonolta wrote:Dude, please go post your jokes somewhere else.

Thanks.

-Sonolta


It was the forum software editing my post, It was not a joke...

Edit: PS. I saw your other post that you deleted.

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:58 am

Sonolta wrote:Dude...I often edit my posts...are you new? I deleted a post? So what? Why can't yiou work with the text I have on the board? Please stop talking about your personal problems and please do start talking about the a900 or something at least sorta related to image making!


Yes I'm new. You know that.

When you change the text on the board, the story changes for those that read the tread at a later date. For example, what if you call someone every name in the book, then they respond, they you change your post to make it look like the response was unprovoked. That's why. But whatever.

From now own, "quoted for posterity" with you....

Edit: As for me I am going home and do awful things with my 900, things that you could never dream of doing with your 700... :P LOL, THAT was a joke...

rush2112
Initiate
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:41 am

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby rush2112 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:06 am

Sonolta wrote:
rush2112 wrote:Don, you sure are a tornado of replies. Look, one thing at a time. My goodness man calm and easy.

You are trying to compare an aps advantage to an ff advantage, and they are like I said - oil and water.

I have been saying this from the beginning!

You act like im trying to talk you into the A900 or something. I said to keep your A700 for what you do and that it is probably the best solution for what you do, so what gives?

No..I am 'educating' posters that think the a900 is the end all for all photographers..IE: 24MP is everything.

Bottom line they cannot be cross compared without equal lenses with the exact same FOV because such lenses do not exist for APS and FF, because they are designed differently for APS than they are for FF obviously.

No, for my needs they are properly compared using the same lenses as those are the lenses that I already own. I just proved the a700 NEEDS plenty of $$$ in expensive glass to match the a700's performance in many areas that I shoot. You stated earlier that expensive glass was not needed. With the beercan I just showed you that I could get a better or equal result with the a700....if we went into available light macro shooting I would be able to pick on the a900 for a while because of the diminished DOF.

The A900 has more resolution at a given FOV, that is my point.

My point has been that the a900 does not automagically produce better images or more resolution. It is not always easier to obtain hand held long focal length shots with, and it is not easier to shoot hand held ambient light macros with. I could go on but I will leave it here for now.

The only FOV I see is what I see through the dozen plus A-Mount lenses that I own. If you want more resolution at the equivalent FOV then many here will need to spend HIGH DOLLARS on some new long lenses, new mid range primes, and new general purpose zooms. I shoot my 80-200 2.8 at 200 almost exclusively...how much will that 120-300 2.8 zoom cost me? The 200 2.8? The 115-315 f4? The Bigma? The new Minolta G's? You see, I get almost no performance increase in many areas of my photography without dropping 5K or more on new lenses and 3K on the body.

Then I will still need more memory, more storage, more powerful computers, more backups, a large monitor, more processing time, heavier gear, massive tripods, a flash just to control wireless, no eye-start AF, less DOF, and at times I will need to stop down more, etc. etc. etc.

Carl


-Sonolta



Don, where in my replies to you did I say the A900 was an end all camera? There is not such thing. In fact, I started off by saying that what the A900 was designed for, it mostly does excellently. That is full frame digital still photography, not aps-c photography, not Don available lenses photography, or any of that.

Perhaps you were replying to others and not what I said? In that case, lets keep our convo between what you and I say its much less confusing that way.

So basically we have come to the conclusion that the A900 does FF well and the A700 does APS-C well.

But we knew that already, so this was really just a big waste of time :)

Carl

stevecim
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Australia

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby stevecim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 am

There is no reason for anyone to get upset. new members need to be a bit more thick skined, Don can be a bit rough around the edges but he is always willing to help members with image problems.

Lonnie, SSS helps heaps with static shots , but with moving objects you need faster shutter speeds. small animals may look like they are sitting still but can make very small movements even their breathing can make a shot look soft if the shutter speed is a touch to slow.

This is my main complaint with the A350 , sometimes I need a shutter speed just a little higher , so up the iso, but with the a350 you can't select iso between 200 and 400 or 400 to 800 like you can on the a700

User avatar
bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 5696
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 am

Sonolta wrote:It's as good as done! I love pretty girl threads and I will process a few pix and get one going by the end of today. :) Heck, even my wife knows the pretty girls are where the hits are at... 8)


Okay, I'll be watching for your new thread. I might be able to scare up a photo or two to post. :)

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 am

Don,

I came here to learn about a very nice peice of equipment that I was given as a gift. For all her sweetness my GF, didn't know what she was buying. She went into a store, and said "give me the best" (she has been overseas for 2 months). As a result, I go an A900 and a really nice CZ 16-35 2.8 (which is amazing), and a few other odds and ends (they were sold out of the 70-200G when she was there or I feel certain that I would have gotten that too). I have a feeling that X-mas will bring me more glass. (She is hot, smart, and has "resources".) What can I say, I got lucky (karma)? Don't hate on me for that....

Anyway, admittedly, I AM new at this (DSLR photography). I came here because it was liked to in some reveiw of something (I can't even remember now). There is no better way to learn about a topic than to enter into a discussion about it. My only real "complaint" was to a couple of what I percived as snippy answers. I have learned alot, well, at least have a better understanding of the concepts that I already knew about.

Unlike others here, I have no adgenda. I am not here to convince anyone that they should get that body. I am not here to say look at me, look how good/smart I am. I am simply here to learn. All I ask is that you realize that, and maybe just not be so gruff. Is that so hard? I am a 16 year old with a muscle car. I am trying hard not to wrap it around a tree..... :D

I can tell you the result of these discussions, I am seriously thinking about adding an a700 to the quiver. Does that mean, I am giving up the 900? No, I love it and it's a wonderful tool. Thanks for helping me understand the limitations of that tool....

EDIT: I did alot 20 years ago when I was a "kid". I even had my own dark room at 14. While this level of digital photography might be new to me, this isn't totally my first rodeo...

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:00 am

Sonolta wrote:Lonnie...great story. Glad to have you and please do post some pictures when you get the chance.


I will. As soon as I can find a decent site to host photos. (suggestions?)

I have no real post processing ability at the moment, so it's all basically straight out of the camera stuff at this point. (suggestion?)

She got me this because she like what she saw me do with my limited tools. I was %110 shocked.

Utah has some great landscape opertunities and that is what I enjoy doing at this point.

I don't know if you will be able to see this. It was from Saturday, and I hike about 2,000 vertical feet to get to this spot. As soon as I got there, a bunch of clouds came over and the light went totally flat. Oh well....
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbtaylor
Viceroy
Posts: 1226
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby jbtaylor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:39 am

Welcome Lonnie.
You have a fine camera and lens with plenty of horsepower. This is a good place to learn . So hang in there and get that first pic posted.
Can't wait to see it.

Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby Lonnie Utah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 am

again...
Image

16 MM 1/60 F13 ISO 200 exp bias -2
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

robsphotography
Initiate
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am

Re: Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900

Unread postby robsphotography » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 am

rush2112 wrote:Don, you sure are a tornado of replies. Look, one thing at a time. My goodness man calm and easy.

You are trying to compare an aps advantage to an ff advantage, and they are like I said - oil and water.

You act like im trying to talk you into the A900 or something. I said to keep your A700 for what you do and that it is probably the best solution for what you do, so what gives?

Bottom line they cannot be cross compared without equal lenses with the exact same FOV because such lenses do not exist for APS and FF, because they are designed differently for APS than they are for FF obviously.

The A900 has more resolution at a given FOV, that is my point.

Carl

Edit: your last reply with the cute squirrel pictures was done while I was replying to your other reply. (see I include an actual edit so that people can see what I said before and now, instead of changing the text without informing people).


It has been suggested in this thread that people who are very pleased with the performance of their Sony A900 cameras are perhaps not fully educated about the perceived disadvantages of a full frame system. But, before I purchased the A900, I had studied the advantages and disadvantages of the full frame system, and I personally decided that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. I am sure that other A900 owners also carefully went through this evaluation.

Now the title of the thread is simply: “Amazing amount of fine detail captured by the Sony Alpha 900”. This is an indisputable fact and I just wanted to share with other A900 owners some of the results I have managed to obtain from my A900. I didn’t expect people who don’t own the A900 to start a prolonged debate about why they wouldn’t buy it. If the title of the thread had been “Should I purchase an A700 or an A900?”, then a debate from non-owners of the A900 may have been appropriate.

Incidentally, I think that Carl’s postings (Rush 2112) are very informative and show the depth of knowledge and perspectives that can be obtained by people who actually own an A900. Now, is there a forum somewhere where A900 owners can quietly discuss with each other their experiences with the A900 without having the discussion dominated by non owners of the A900 who keep telling us all why they wouldn’t buy the A900?

Regards
Rob
http://www.robsphotography.co.nz


Return to “Alpha A-mount System”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron