A900 DRO & APPLE APERTURE ISSUE

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
vincenzo
Initiate

A900 DRO & APPLE APERTURE ISSUE

Unread post by vincenzo »

Dear all, I have been shooting RAW with DRO, but upon importing to aperture the DRO settings seem to be discarded. Anyone know how I can resolve?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A900 DRO & APPLE APERTURE ISSUE

Unread post by Birma »

Hi vincenzo, welcome to the forum. I'm not an A900 owner or Aperture user, so not much help really, but I was just hanging about so I thought I'd say hello :D .

My only thought is that perhaps DRO is applied to jpg output only, and doesn't affect the raw files, that sort of being the point of raw. I could be totally wrong here and perhaps on the A900 the raw files are altered. Could you try shooting jpg and raw and see of DRO is being applied to the jpg? Does it work in IDC?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

vincenzo wrote:Dear all, I have been shooting RAW with DRO, but upon importing to aperture the DRO settings seem to be discarded. Anyone know how I can resolve?
Birma is spot on. DRO does not apply to RAW. I believe that Sony's own software will try an interpret the DRO settings from the data stored in Exif and apply it to a RAW conversion, but most other software will just ignore it.
--
Tom
vincenzo
Initiate

thanks guys :) Well, that's a shame, a pity but not the end of the world. My DRO JPEGS are super and would have been good to use the DRO settings as the default settings on the RAW reader before processing. Will not be using the Sony RAW, hope there is a solution in near future.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sony's latest version of IDC has a lot more RAW processing capability, including more control over the DRO. I know that with the version that shipped with my a700, it was impossible to duplicate the DRO effects as they were applied to in-camera jpgs. The latest version does a much better job and even has a few other goodies thrown in, including periferal illumination.

I know that many of the other programs that are available are preferred over Sony's own software, but IDC is free, so it may be worth the time to try the latest version.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
vincenzo
Initiate

Thanks for the feedback Kevin and everyone. Maybe its worth trying the Sony RAW converter, I'll give it a try.
Anyone else have views on this versus Aperture, Lightroom, or other coverters?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi, Vincenzo.
Though I have the latest version of IDC, I do not use it. Rather I'm stuck to Photoshop or Lightroom.
You might even consider other converters (even free of charge, such as UFRaw).
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Some of the controls in IDC aren't exactly intuitive, I should warn you. For instance, the sharpening tool has a slider for "amount," "overshoot," "undershoot," and "threshhold." It took me the longest time to understand what undershoot and overshoot were, and somebody on this forum or another one pointed out that they control sharpening in highlight areas and shadow areas, respectively, (or maybe vice-versa).
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --