here we go again -

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

here we go again -

Unread post by Heidfirst »

reports of A850 entry showing up on Sony US website ...
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic49588& ... tml#539202
adakshi
Oligarch

Re: here we go again -

Unread post by adakshi »

A500, A550, A850 all future models are lined up there. Looks like we'll hear something exiting or very depressing pretty soon :)
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'm pretty sure you will find the new cameras both depressing AND unexpected or exciting. I do not expect any of them to use the A700-A900 legacy body design and layout formulae. I do expect the addition of USP features, and not necessarily video.

I'll put some kind of post on the website discussing this.

David
fastson
Heirophant

Unread post by fastson »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I'm pretty sure you will find the new cameras both depressing AND unexpected or exciting. I do not expect any of them to use the A700-A900 legacy body design and layout formulae. I do expect the addition of USP features, and not necessarily video.
Well they better design something better in terms of body, and not use what we saw with the new 2-3 series.
Haven't Sony received a good amount of flak from early reviews for that design? They better listen to that!
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 500-800 series will already have been designed maybe the same time as, before or just after the new 200-300 design. It could be an entirely different team, it might even be the old Minolta team and the 2-3 range is just a one off excursion into toytown.

Whatever the case, reaction to the 230-380 would have come far too late to change anything about the next release of models.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

"toytown" I rather like that expression!

SLR design has changed over the years, however I don't see a huge area for improvement, more like subtle tweaks.
I surely hope we don't go back to some of the more oddball designs of yesteryear. But knowing Sony I would not be too shocked, come to think of it I am amazed they have not decided to do the horrid "expansion cards" we had to put up with for so long ;-)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

DK makes a good point - the product lifecycle will be long, and so they next three cameras could still be lacking some of the things we (some of us?) are clamouring for (e.g. video, live view, gps, lens focus adjustment). I guess I would like a sub £1000 FF dslr even more than a video one, so there may be something to look forward to.

I hope that any of you early adopters who want to get rid of those horrible old A700s ( 8) ) will be putting them up on the "for sale" thread at knock-down prices asap :D . (If the FF is £1000+ then please feel free to also get rid of your 11-18s as well!)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

What are USPs?
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I assume he means Unique Selling Points.

Winston wrote:What are USPs?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Javelin wrote:I assume he means Unique Selling Points.

Winston wrote:What are USPs?
How come "Unique Seling Points" is a feature?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

USP = Ugly Sony Product :lol:

or could be Unindentified Sonolta Picture :lol: (not the sonolta but sony-minolta ...)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Could be this USP... Plastic body. Small grip. Small memory capacity, 13 shots ...

But won't the cats be surprised!

Wiki picture
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Javelin wrote:Could be this USP... Plastic body. Small grip. Small memory capacity, 13 shots ...
I did a google search too.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Talking about ugly, am I the only one that found the R1 to just look damn horrible. I am convinced it would have sold better if it looked a bit more "SLR" like.

Ok so cameras are not girlfriends, but it never hurts to hold something nice enough in your hands :mrgreen:
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Myself, I am more in the market for new lenses than cameras.

However my own opinion is that there is more to be gained for Sony in the medium and long term by improvements in software and firmware than gee wiz hardware in the medium and high end of the market. Yes I would like GPS, WiFi, 16MP sensors etc, but for photographers interested in getting good results with the least amount of frustration at the post processing stage there is more to life than being a digital techie.

Less time at the taking stage as well as post processing with technical worries gives more time spent on achieving your vision which is what I am assuming most of us are in this racket for. Post processing to me should be more a refining of the visual rather than a comment on your Photoshopping.