First official specs and pics of A500 + A850

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: First official specs and pics of A500 + A850

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sorry Barry, I missed a couple of facts about the "MF check LV" feature. First, I cannot find written anywhere on DPR that the mirror comes down and back up again when you fire the shutter, but everyone seems to credit them for this (and I've heard it nowhere else). Second, apparently the MF Check LV only operates for 15 seconds, which would be pretty infuriating to me.

It's still not the camera for me anyway because what I want, more than anything, is a Hugh Jazz viewfinder. I cannot go backwards in that regard, not for live view, not for pixels or higher ISOs, and certainly not for faster frame rate. I'll know Sony has made a true successor to the a700 when the viewfinder is as uncompromising for the format as the a900's is for FF.

P.S. I use the 16x9 markings in the OVF all the time, they're a helpful aid for aligning a critical composition.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I too use the 16x9 marks a lot. I've used the 16x9 mode too, gives you confidence that when you get home the image will take the crop right and not find you zoomed in a bit too much.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Would it be appreciated if I simply posted the entire press pack of pictures - about 20 high-res images per camera - on the site with full resolution links?

I have never seen the point of doing this. I have not even bothered to download all the many different product shots from Sony's press site.

David
I've had a quick scoot around the pictures on DPR in their preview and it was interesting to get a feel of the layout. I thought your size comparison picture with the A380 was very useful. For me the next landmark will, hopefully, be a DK review :D . (Probably heresy to admit it, but I also quite look forward to Gordon L's on Camera Labs .com - I like the video review he does.)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The post about the MLU test is here on dpr.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=32815077

Obviously we shall have to trust the guy, as he has one, and we don't!
It's just a real shame to see most of the areas that annoyed me A200 wise, are still not put back on either model.
Add to that a few other bits, the lack of quick nav etc..the more you dig about, the less impressed you get.

Sensor looks very good, and some might like the FPS boost, which is nice. It's time to hunt an A700 out for me.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

What's got me interested is the new HDR feature, seeing as how I always leave DRO turned off on my A100, this could be a much better deal.
But yes I agree with the rest of the camera, distinctly underwhelmed...so far, it doesn't seem too be a genuine 5 series to my mind, not with so many 'still camera' features missing...why doesn't Sony put out two distinct lines of DSLR's?, one for the LV + Video people and one for normal STILL image shooters who like and expect such things as a good OVF, AEL spot, DOF button, SSS switch, DMF, a proper MLU etc. :roll:
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The HDR thing sounds ok..but it's not enough really.
No doubt many will be happy. But to me, for the A550, it's going to be £800+ body only, to have that stuff (MLU, DMR, AEL spot toggle etc etc usual list ;-) missing in this price range is unforgivable really.

You know what, I'll just plonk along with the A200 and 5d, both have warts, but deliver well in the bang per buck dept, I'll either hunt out an A700 at some point, or just fall back into a few 5/7d ebay jobs. Also got my numerous film bodies to play with, and I enjoy the film thing too. Bit sad older cheap film bodies are starting to be better featured than many Sony digitals, still if that's the way they want it..up to them. Features are not everything, but I am no fan of gimmicks like smile detection.. :mrgreen:

One day Sony might invite a few photographers to wander around their Alpha building, it would do them the world of good, too bad the marketing Sony folks have taken it over, and geared it almost exclusively to consumers.
HFnotts
Initiate

Unread post by HFnotts »

Interested to know how the Pen performs since it looks to be an interesting concept although could be a bit of a gimmick.
Will it sell in big numbers?
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote: But to me, for the A550, it's going to be £800+ body only
it's £650 pre-order - give it a while (next year) & it will be ~£500 imo .