Tripods

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
HFnotts
Initiate

Tripods

Unread post by HFnotts »

I am not sure that this is the correct section but there doesn't seem to one specifically for general equipment discussion so here goes :wink:

I have a love hate relationship with tripods. I almost have a complex about them feeling that I SHOULD use one all the time but also feeling SO restricted when doing so.

I always remember a quote from , I think, one of the early 35mm Leica users that the raison d'etre of 35mm ius its flexibility and the fact it alows mobility and therefore a deep exploration of a subject.

Since I equate my dslr to a 35 mm camera I feel the above philosophy applies equally to digital.

Just wondered what others feel about tripod use, especially when SSS is so good and useful for hand-held use.
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Tripods

Unread post by bossel »

I just got one for these situation where handheld just doesn't work that well. Like long exposures, night scenes, moonshots, fireworks...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep as bossel says it's just a question of what you're doing at the time, tripods are invaluable for all sorts of photography, scenes, panoramas, night time-exposures, studio and hide/nature/macro etc. if you're moving about a good deal or the ground is very rough then you can always take a ball head+monopod...
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

HFnotts wrote:I am not sure that this is the correct section but there doesn't seem to one specifically for general equipment discussion so here goes :wink:
You are absolutely right.
There are no sections for accessories except for flash. I think David should add such a section and also remove one: "Leica M compatible" (there are no posts there).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

I use mine for long exposures, panoramas, remote control, art repro, and some macro work.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

I use it for long exposures - from sunsets to night scenes, or for very long lenses. I always carry a gorillapod mini-tripod when Hiking.
I use tripod mabye 2% of the time, but it is defnitely worth having.
HFnotts
Initiate

Unread post by HFnotts »

I have a good quality carbon fibre tripod and a carbon fibre monopod. I use the former more often than the latter. On the tripod I also use a pistol-grip style of head which I find quick and easy to use.
I tend to use the tripod for landscapes, long exposure pictures and, if I'm, honest, the monopod is hardly ever used.
In the urban landscape I tend not to use a tripod for a couploe of reasons; they are frowned upon by security bodies and do cause an obstruction on pavements etc. and, in this environment, I am looking for candids of people as well as patterns and building details and, often, ned to work quickly which is not possible with a tripod.
I have considered a Gorillapod and more or less decided that one would be very useful indeed, especially in the irban environment. Whether a mini or lartge one is a decision to be made.