Sony and The Future

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony and The Future

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

They could always release some more models yet, say a A235, A335 and A385 with no focus motors...wouldn't that be good...:-)
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Only a matter of time before that happens, watch out on the next batch of entry models..if not, then the ones after. They might want to "SAM" a few more lenses..before they try to cut out the AF motor in body, and force users to MF with most legacy Minolta (and Sony lenses)
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

bfitzgerald wrote:
I don't use P shift a lot, but it's a useful feature esp for less experienced users. And I did assume, these models were aimed at that market..It's a good way of getting people to have some manual control (as and when needed), whilst still giving them the comfort of automation. Seems P is the same as Auto now. On it's own it's not a huge deal, but when you add the rather long list of potential could/should have stuff as well..then it just sums up what's going on down at Alpha design HQ..
When using XD7/X700s I used Aperture Priority and adjusted to suit the best combination of A & S. With my R1 and subsequently A700 & A350 I got into the habit of using Program and quickly finding the best combination of A & S (and if need be adjust ISO). I do not know if I have then regressed to being "less experienced" having used Minolta/Sony equipment since 1967.
P is not the same as Auto as with P the ISO remains as set, whereas with Auto ISO is variable and in the case of A550 too variable (and unadjustable) as David Kilpatrick has pointed out.
I have concluded that if I do purchase the A550 to replace my A350 then I will have to use Aperture Priority as my basic program setting.
To a large extent I agree with Barry Fitzgerald that the "pruning" of features have gone too far and additions such as face recognition does not cut any ice with me. The A550 could have been such a grand camera (from my perspective) if just Program shift, MLU and DOF preview had been included & ISO100.
RubberDials
Heirophant

Unread post by RubberDials »

bfitzgerald wrote:...I don't use P shift a lot, but it's a useful feature esp for less experienced users....
It's a useful feature for anyone who uses program mode, which is everyone. It's no more a feature for 'less experienced users' than MLU is.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

WestCoast wrote:Looks like proclaiming one’s “manual” control preference is becoming a badge of honour.
It’s just a matter of time before some of our hard core members start disabling all auto or semi-auto functions within the camera.
Personally, I think that program shift rocks.
:wink:
Far from it. I don't want to go back to the days of checking light with the Wesson exposure meter, dialing in shutter speed and aperture and then pulling the trigger! I doubt if I can guess exposures as well these days as I did once, having not had to do that in such a long time!

It's just that for me, I'm happy w/ Aperture Priority since that's what I learned. I kept the a350 on Program Mode when new until I was used to the camera, but now that mode is mostly used by my wife. I don't like the camera making too many decisions for me, I'm the photographer! :wink:

Dusty
bfitzgerald

I'll bet money right now that most folks are using A priority 95% of the time..

So I stand by my comment about P mode being used by less experienced users, even if a few don't like it. :lol:
RubberDials
Heirophant

Unread post by RubberDials »

bfitzgerald wrote:I'll bet money right now that most folks are using A priority 95% of the time..

So I stand by my comment about P mode being used by less experienced users, even if a few don't like it. :lol:
It's not that I don't like it, it's wrong. You are extrapolating from an initial assumption that program shift is an 'less experienced user's' feature that it must therefore be mostly used by 'inexperienced users'. There is no evidence to support either assumption.

No doubt you think autopilot on an aircraft is for less experienced pilots.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

RubberDials wrote:No doubt you think autopilot on an aircraft is for less experienced pilots.
For hungry and/or sleepy pilots :lol: :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

It is not my intentions to upset anyone over this, but I thought this result was rather conclusive

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =41&t=3233

Even when I was inexperienced, I hardly used P mode ever, not that I support it being cut down, far from it.
Nobody need feel bad if they use P mode, or even full auto, but I question if I am "that wrong", at least on this board, most folks do seem to use A priority a lot more than any other mode.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Barry, no-one is wrong. What's wrong is the P mode without shift, because while an experienced photographer is perfectly happy with P-mode plus shift (it just gets you to a compromise between A and S from which you can rapidly move either way) - no one wants a fixed P mode which only shifts when it detects you are using a long lens, etc.

As long as I can see what a camera is setting and have some way to adjust it, I don't care what mode I may be using, but if the means to adjust it is taken away I am unable to use it. As you would agree. There were cameras made like this in the 1960s and there still are (consumer digicams with nothing but P mode, but they tend to be REALLY basic!).

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

to be honest I never used P mode at all on my A700 after trying it on my A200 (was too hard to dial and push the button at the same time.. it works much better with the 2 dials on the A700. I need to experiment a little more so I know better how it works in the scenes I shoot. Normally I use A, S or M modes.. M more when i'm using flash that for anything else. So do you guys P mode just to get to the right speed or aperture quicker than turning the dial to A or S, like while the camera is to your eye?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

P Mode is safest if you have a superzoom with good wide open quality. It will generally give you a fast shutter speed at long focal lengths, but stop the lens down for wide angle shots. This tends to be a quick fix which works OK.

It has little use on a fixed focal length lens or something like the 28-75mm f/2.8 - if anything, it will tend to open up the lens aperture too much given a chance, especially with flash.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Well BF got it right with me, it's A mode 'mostly' but have been known to have a frolic over in S or M, and even P mode now and then.
Thing is, P mode is really handy when you want to grab the camera for some quick shot that may be gone in very short time, it can save you the time it takes to study the back screen checking for some horrible settings you/I may have left lurking there, it's sometimes better too just switch to P mode and get that shot while you can...
So no, I don't think P mode, with shift of course, is dead...yet, it can be a really handy feature, at times...but not according to Sony it seems.
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Greg Beetham wrote:Well BF got it right with me, it's A mode 'mostly' but have been known to have a frolic over in S or M, and even P mode now and then.
Thing is, P mode is really handy when you want to grab the camera for some quick shot that may be gone in very short time, it can save you the time it takes to study the back screen checking for some horrible settings you/I may have left lurking there, it's sometimes better too just switch to P mode and get that shot while you can...
So no, I don't think P mode, with shift of course, is dead...yet, it can be a really handy feature, at times...but not according to Sony it seems.
Greg
This is where I need to re-train myself for digital! In film, you always put the correct ISO setting in on film load. And, since I never went to AF film, I always grabbed camera and twisted the lens wide open to start by habit, then stopped down to either the SS or Fstop I wanted.

I usually let the a350 stay in auto ISO, but I find myself changing it fairly often, as I like slower ISOs.

Dusty
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I must say that I am a bit confused as to why the trend seems to be for the base ISO to creep upwards (ISO200 is the new ISO100?). I know there is a trend (obsession?) with cameras at the moment to be able to shoot in the dark as if it is daylight (ISO102,800 :shock: ) but surely some people want lovely clean, low ISO stuff. Why isn't anyone coming up with an ISO25 camera? What are us "take it slow, with a tripod" landscape types meant to do? Or am I missing the point and ISO200+ is now as good as ISO100 used to be?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.