A100 to A700

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Scrabo
Acolyte

A100 to A700

Unread post by Scrabo »

I know this has been asked probably before but I current have a 2+ year old A100 and have been tempted recently by the lowering price of the A700. The A100 is mainly used for landscape shots, the occasional aircraft in flight , all usually in good light. Any indoor shots are with the F56AM flash and are family focused.

Is it worth my while, based on the type of photography I do, to upgrade to the A700 ?

Or should I put the money towards some better glass ?

Thanks
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A100 to A700

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Scrabo wrote:I know this has been asked probably before but I current have a 2+ year old A100 and have been tempted recently by the lowering price of the A700. The A100 is mainly used for landscape shots, the occasional aircraft in flight , all usually in good light. Any indoor shots are with the F56AM flash and are family focused.

Is it worth my while, based on the type of photography I do, to upgrade to the A700 ?

Or should I put the money towards some better glass ?

Thanks
Let's put it this way.
If you have an A100 and an A700, both new, side by side and to use solely for landscapes, then as David put it too many times, A100 wins.
But... remember, cameras get old very quickly needing a replacement. It's something we don't mention much and I'm surprised that when debating on newer models, only specifications are argued but not lifespan. In my opinion, as you go up (by model numbers) cameras are sturdier and have longer lifespan. But I may be wrong :?
As for better lenses: you always have to make savings for that. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I don't think anybody ever regretted buying an a700. There's just so much camera in that package, and the price right now is excellent.

Consider that the a700 has a magnesium alloy weather sealed body, two control wheels, dedicated AF assist lamp, 1/8000 sec. maximum shutter speed, 1/250 sec. flash X-sync, PC sync port, a real pentaprism viewfinder with interchangeable focus screens, double cross center AF point with f/2.8 sensor, a remote commander, Quick-navi interface, and a DOF preview button. The next camera in the Alpha lineup that offers any of these features is the $2,000 a850, and the a700 offers them with a pop-up flash and more selectable AF points than any other A mount camera.

What's not to love?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

KevinBarrett wrote:I don't think anybody ever regretted buying an a700. There's just so much camera in that package, and the price right now is excellent.

Consider that the a700 has a magnesium alloy weather sealed body, two control wheels, dedicated AF assist lamp, 1/8000 sec. maximum shutter speed, 1/250 sec. flash X-sync, PC sync port, a real pentaprism viewfinder with interchangeable focus screens, double cross center AF point with f/2.8 sensor, a remote commander, Quick-navi interface, and a DOF preview button. The next camera in the Alpha lineup that offers any of these features is the $2,000 a850, and the a700 offers them with a pop-up flash and more selectable AF points than any other A mount camera.

What's not to love?
Hehehe, :lol: Kevin, are you practicing for a new job? :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

A700 rocks! I have also read a lot that flash exposure/control has been much improved, which might help when you use your F56AM.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Pssst KB, I'll say this really quiet so no one else can hear, the A100 has a DOF preview button....just thought you should know... :lol:
Greg

ps. If you love your photography scrabo, and you are intending too stay with the A-mount, get an A700 while the getting is good...I reckon.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Maybe I should get an A700 before I get disappointed with possible future announcements as well!

But my A100 rocks in its own special feature-way too... :)

Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Dr. Harout wrote:Hehehe, :lol: Kevin, are you practicing for a new job? :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist)
Actually, practicing an old job...I used to work as a retail sales consultant for AT&T, and I was damn good at it, too. I sold triple my quota on a regular basis.

But really, every new thing I want to try with photography, the a700 is there for me and has exactly what I was looking for.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --