just ordered the A230

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
LABE
Acolyte

just ordered the A230

Unread post by LABE »

well as you know i sold my 200 to buy a nikon D90, but after getting the D90 as good as it was i didnt like it so i`ve just an A230 and here`s hoping . cheers Paul
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: just ordered the A230

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm sorry. The a230 offers significantly less than the a200. The a500 is the next camera up that has as much going for it as the last "a200" generation, but I'd have taken the D90 over either of them.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Can't knock anyone for personal choice, but as above, a D90 appeals more to me..still it takes photos so I guess that's all that matters.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi Paul,
What you didn't like on the D90 that force you to get back to the Alpha family?

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LABE
Acolyte

Unread post by LABE »

i`m only getting the A230 so i have a dslr kicking about. I have gone back to sony as i have a fare few minolta lens sat collecting dust from my 35mm cam.
The D90 is actually a very good cam but it does get rather heavy when used all day. Also the menu system was not perfect for me .Some of the af settings could only be changed by going into pages of menu`s so i changed over to fuji for my work horse. I actually use the S200EXR ,IS-1 and S6500fd . The other problem i had with the D90 was its tendency for blowing highlights and getting the w/b wrong if i didnt take full control. If you wonder what i do by the way. I do events photography, weddings every now and again and a few kids action portraits as a paid amateur and happy cilents.
Thanks Paul
KevinBarrett

I know what you mean about coming back to Sony...I don't know what the highlight room is like for the rest of the models, but it's excellent on the a700. Also, the interfaces of Canon and Nikon cameras are just infuriating. I picked up an EOS 7D and was lost, and my thumb got tired of going down to that big goofy wheel. The D300 and D700 interface is even goofier, but at least they have the control wheels in the right places.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

LABE wrote:i`m only getting the A230 so i have a dslr kicking about. I have gone back to sony as i have a fare few minolta lens sat collecting dust from my 35mm cam.
The D90 is actually a very good cam but it does get rather heavy when used all day. Also the menu system was not perfect for me .Some of the af settings could only be changed by going into pages of menu`s so i changed over to fuji for my work horse. I actually use the S200EXR ,IS-1 and S6500fd . The other problem i had with the D90 was its tendency for blowing highlights and getting the w/b wrong if i didnt take full control. If you wonder what i do by the way. I do events photography, weddings every now and again and a few kids action portraits as a paid amateur and happy cilents.
Thanks Paul
You must buy the Sony 1.15X magnifier and get a 0.94X OVF in the a230... :wink:
KevinBarrett

alexramos7 wrote:You must buy the Sony 1.15X magnifier and get a 0.94X OVF in the a230... :wink:
Seconded! The magnifier is a good investment, and the most surprisingly inexpensive Sony accessory to date.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaPDX
Heirophant

Unread post by alphaPDX »

That magnifier is high on my Christmas list for my A200 and whatever may follow. It isn't vital so I can be patient for .. 43 days :)
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff
bfitzgerald

The menus are deep on some models, D90 too.
I find it takes time to get used to using other makers models, I esp had problems with Canon at ist, but it get easier as you go along. The other point is, you won't need to change settings on some stuff that often, the D90 is very customizable, lots of options you might not often mess about with, once you have it set up.
I'm afraid the A230 though has the exact reverse, very limited in this respect..of course this might appeal on it's own, simple can work, but having to menu dive to change AF point, proved incredibly frustrating..
I'll vote for more body controls and options myself, any camera can be set to full auto for ease of use
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Paul, glad you have found the A230 an appropriate substitute. I've handled the D90 a couple of times as a friend has one. It seems a very well put together camera and the 18-105 kit lens seems great. I found the interface very difficult, but put this down to it being a different make to the camera I am used to.

I thought people (esp. Barry :-) ) may be interested in an email I had from Amazon today trying to interest me in a new DSLR

" ...As someone who has browsed our range of digital SLR cameras, we thought you might be interested in these bestsellers.

In this message:
* Sony Alpha A230L Digital SLR Camera With 18-55 mm Lens
* Panasonic Lumix GF1 12.1MP Digital System Camera 14-45mm Lens Kit - Black
* Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit)
* Canon EOS 1000D Digital SLR Camera (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit)
* Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera (18-55 mm VR Lens Kit)
* Nikon D40 with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
* Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) ..."

The A230 is the cheapest available at £347.40, then the D60 at £385.79, and then somewhat bizarrely the D40 at £419.99.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Yeah the price on the A230 has dropped..but
It's 7th overall on Amazon, the D90 is ranked 3rd at this time, despite having a fairly large price difference.

Even Argos is cutting the price of it (though it remains not great Eire price wise)

As it's the current cheapest DSLR, it should be ist or 2nd, which the A200 managed for a long time. It's not..so I suspect it will continue to get discounted in price, and I doubt it will match the A200 sales wise..
If Sony were suggesting there was this massive huge p&s up graders market, it's sure not showing with these models.
KevinBarrett

bfitzgerald wrote:...it should be ist or 2nd...
Seriously, what's the deal with "ist" instead of "1st?" I suppose the forum is likely to get more hits from folks googeling early Pentax DSLRs, but why not replace "2nd" with something equally nonsensical and confusing on a camera forum, like "ɑnd."
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

The deal with ist or 2nd is..erm

As said. The A200 was a consistent 1st or 2nd on Amazon UK..thus IMO it was selling better than the current A230.
Simple business sense really, if you replace a product with a newer one, and it does not sell as well..I don't call that "awesome" more like a failure.

Sony had a strong seller with the A200, if it ain't broke..don't fix it..it's only available re-furb or s/h on amazon, they must have lost a ton of sales over the last few months..Sony would have been wise to have kept the A200 on sale, but hey..what do I know..just crunching the numbers ;-)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Blame Underwood! The first qwerty keyboard had no 1 key and you were expected to use the I key instead. now it looks odd becaue I's have the dots on them