350 Pictures? Quality Control of "first batch"?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
eieio
Acolyte

350 Pictures? Quality Control of "first batch"?

Unread post by eieio »

Hello All! I'm ready to order my 350 but am concerned about the first batch of units. So few have posted any pictures from their 350 so far, strange.

there's one person on dpreview who has indicated that he got a bad copy of the 350 body - can't focus properly. One would think that by now, easily hundreds of units have been delivered.

any ideas of the quality of the early units? like to order mine but a bit worried about being an uber early adopter.

thx in advance.
Glyn R
Initiate

Re: 350 Pictures? Quality Control of "first batch"?

Unread post by Glyn R »

Mine arrived this morning. I have just been out for quick familiarisation trip. Not being up to date with Sony DSLR I am still finding out what does what. The handling is fine for me. I like the way most of the controls work all the basic adjustments are easy to follow. The Live view is fine it has a Live histogram option which is nice. The light today was flat and boring but I am out walking tommorrow so I should be more familiar. The Live view does still work on continuous but the screen blacks out between each shot so It would be difficult to follow a fast moving object. The only disappointment is the Auto bracket setting fixed on +/- .3 stops. If you shoot his on continous the screen stays black for the 3 exsposures. I hope Sony will increase the range of auto bracket to at least +/- 1 stop. Presumably this could be a firmware upgrade. However so far so good.
The older I get the better I used to be.
eieio
Acolyte

Hello Glyn: Thank You very much for your...

Unread post by eieio »

Hello Glyn:

thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated.

I've just Private Messaged you here on this website (Photoclubalpha) but i don't know if you check your Private Messages here so I thought that I'd mention it here in hopes that you'd see it.

May I ask if you might kindly post or email pictures? Indoor shots are perfectly fine, especially at ISO 1600 with dark spots and labels like from beer bottles or other bottles with fine graphics on it! the dark spots allow digital noise to be more visible for inspection!

I'm excited to see.

how's the focusing? the person "bluga" on dpreview mentioned in a long thread that his 350 would not focus and he had to return it!

is your camera sharp in the focusing? which lens(es) are you using?

thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you and seeing pictures! i've included my direct email in my Private Message to you.
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

My 350 seems to snap in focus very quickly. I am not concious of any focussing issues. I have only the kit lens at the moment so The IQ is not what I am looking for but it is still pretty good. I have been using the poor light to test the SSS. It isn't brilliant in very close up images but I am not used to it yet.
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

Glyn R wrote:Mine arrived this morning. I have just been out for quick familiarisation trip. Not being up to date with Sony DSLR I am still finding out what does what. The handling is fine for me. I like the way most of the controls work all the basic adjustments are easy to follow. The Live view is fine it has a Live histogram option which is nice. The light today was flat and boring but I am out walking tommorrow so I should be more familiar. The Live view does still work on continuous but the screen blacks out between each shot so It would be difficult to follow a fast moving object. The only disappointment is the Auto bracket setting fixed on +/- .3 stops. If you shoot his on continous the screen stays black for the 3 exsposures. I hope Sony will increase the range of auto bracket to at least +/- 1 stop. Presumably this could be a firmware upgrade. However so far so good.
After further investigation I find the Bracketing can be set at +/- 0.7 EV using single shot setting. Just means you have to press the shutter 3 times. 0.7 is still not much though.
eieio
Acolyte

Glyn: thx for your updates! Much appreciated...

Unread post by eieio »

Glyn: thx for your updates! Much appreciated!

May I ask if you took a couple of indoor shots, say of a dark area in your living room but with a couple of bottles of liquer on a table, that would allow us to see what ISO 1600 pictures would look like especially with the darker parts of the living room showing the noise levels more clearly to inspect, and the bottles' labels showing details and the "resolving power/resolution" of the new sensor in the 350.

My concern with the 350 has been several areas:

- first batch issues, i.e. things that would be corrected in later batches but are "bugs" that they didn't manage to catch. Let's just hope there aren't any, or, at least they are "fixable bugs" via firmware updates, rather than physical issues which would take 3 months to make!

- Noise on this higher pixel, new sensor vis-a-vis the 300/200 sensor, which is more tried and true.

- fps rate: I enjoy taking pictures of my dog (he's a whippet) and continuous rates are important. I'm not talking about 5 fps or 6 fps, but more down to earth rates like 3 or 3.5 fps, which is more than adequate for me. However, based on what some have said already, they can only achieve somewhere in the range of 1.7 fps (!) using Live View. That's woefully low, sad to say. For me to move my camera down to knee level, as an example, and try to capture my whippet's movements and take pictures, the 350's Live View implementation is ideal among currently available cameras. Flip the LCD upwards and i can see! Yet, if the 1.7 fps quote by some is indeed accurate, that would be a major bummer.

Based on what i saw using the "compare o meter" on imaging resources, i put the 200 on one side and 350 on the other side. i then downloaded the full sized ISO 1600 images from both, downsized the 350's image to exactly the size of the 200, and then opened up two windows to compare. I'd have to say that the noise levels are very similar, almost not possible to tell apart, but the 350 has a wee bit more detail. The amount of extra detail is not make or break, but is sort of like icing on the cake.

i'm just hoping that the first batch of 350's are just fine, and that "bluga's" (the poster on dpreview) problems are a "one off" situation unique to that one body, and that the ISO 1600 noise levels are roughly equivalent to the 200/300's levels, and the fps rates in Live View mode can get up to roughly 2fps, hopefully.

can't wait to see your pictures, Glyn! thx!
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

There is a full set of A350 images and comparisons with other cameras at imaging resource. This is where I looked to make my decision to buy one. http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Don't forget that the image on thescreen at full size is equivalent to a 60x40 print. You can print 18x12 at almost 300dpi. Noise is much less of an issue at this resolution. I think you will struggle to get the pictures you want of a whippet at speed with any Live view camera. I used to have an Olympus E-330 which also has the quick live view like the A350 and it is no better. Its the only other camera I know with a separate sensor for Live view.