A100 and A350 comparison shots

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
edrice
Oligarch

A100 and A350 comparison shots

Unread post by edrice »

I received the A350 yesterday and made some preliminary test shots, nothing formal, just in the same manner that I would normally shoot out in the field, which is handheld and too far away to haul a tripod, even a small one.

First, let me make an observation about the purported viewfinder tunnel vision on the A350. I forgot to notice it. When I did remember that there was an issue, I held each camera up alternately to see the difference and you can see the difference, but it's nothing major. Compared to my SRT viewfinder, the A100 and A350 are in the same league. The AF speed of the A350 is certainly superior to the A100 and the shutter release sounds much better. The shutter and mirror slap are so fast, smooth and quiet that it's over with before you realize it. Makes me wonder if the absence of MLU is really an issue.

But I took only one comparison shot from each just to see what any difference would be. In my estimation, not much. I used the CZ16-80 set at 50mm and f8 and no other variables, because this was a comparison camera/sensor and not a lens test. These files are large and straight out of the camera with no post processing. I get a sense that the A350 is very slightly softer than the A100

If anyone would like to offer observations or advice, here are the files and I've included both jpg and raw. The raw files are huge, the A350 .ARW one being over 14mb.

http://www.shadowset.com/sony/a100.JPG
http://www.shadowset.com/sony/a350.JPG

http://www.shadowset.com/sony/a100.ARW
http://www.shadowset.com/sony/a350.ARW

Is the A350 result really softer than the A100?

Ed
aml
Acolyte

Re: A100 and A350 comparison shots

Unread post by aml »

All four links are not working.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

aml wrote:All four links are not working.
Never got any response so I deleted them some time ago.
aml
Acolyte

Unread post by aml »

Never got any response so I deleted them some time ago.
Hmmm... I joined today and get the impression that this place is pretty dead. Nice reviews however.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

We might revive it, it's up to us. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Yes - I have to admit that I am also a little disappointed. I had hoped that this forum might replace my visits to dpReview - but without some of the political in-fighting that most dpReview forums tend towards. However, I find my best source of daily info remains DK's profile on dpReview.

regards
Peter Dewar
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Anyway, how about uploading those comparison shots again.
Also, I would love to see someone uploading pictures of same item with same lens from same spot with ALL Sony DSLRs (of course I do understand the obstacles) :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr