Which Sony Alpha?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Which Sony Alpha?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Carlj
Heirophant

Re: Which Sony Alpha?

Unread post by Carlj »

David, interesting piece, and impossible to write just over 12 months ago.

Image quality is a defining factor, with all the other features bolstering a now very strong line up. With the exception of the pro/full frame market, Sony have a product to match pretty much everything out there.

And with the A2/3** range, are priced to kill. If Sony could match the lens prices to their bodies, I've a real feeling that they could acquire that much yearned for second spot!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Indeed, very interesting article on current Sony bodies, also a very interesting article on the SAL70300G.
I think David is "bombarding" us with very excellent articles. Well, I really wish I could find his magazine here (I'm quite interested in the comparison of "kit" lenses).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

Really interesting article David. I was interested in comments about blue sky noise. I had not realised this is a Sony rather than A350 feature. It occurs occasionally in my photos and I have not been able to pin down the cause. Also your comments regarding Live view I agree fixed Live view screens are a waste of space but I find I use the screen frequently. Landscapes often benefit from a low viewpoint. Of course the camera I used before the A350 was an Olympus E-330 so I had lots of time to get used to it.
The older I get the better I used to be.
brian holloway
Acolyte

Unread post by brian holloway »

David's article has been published just at the opportune time. I have the 100 but am upgrading either to the 350 or the 700 using a large cash contribution raised by my colleagues on my retirement. On balance I shall go for the 700. I have an old Minolta 100 -400 4.5-6.7 Tele Zoom, which I have had for over 10 years and during this time it has collected some minor damage. I would like to update and replace this and wonder if anyone has any idea as to whether Sony will be inttroducing a similar lens?

Brian Holloway
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There is a rumour that the larger super tele zoom in the same series as the 70-300mm will be an 80-400mm f4.5-6.3 or similar. It will probably be SSM and G series too.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

There is a rumour that the larger super tele zoom in the same series as the 70-300mm will be an 80-400mm f4.5-6.3 or similar. It will probably be SSM and G series too.
Interesting. So Sony is not after large aperture zooms for now. Can we assume that Sony is after high FPS with high ISO and not low ISO with large aperture lenses (zooms in fact)?
Therefore might we also assume that Sony is targeting basically the amateurs/semipros leaving the pros for future, or not willing to mess up in the canikon pro market yet. I think the FF will answer too many questions. Or am I missing something? :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

From the results I've seen from the 70-300mm g, not sure a large aperture is really too important for Sony. The bokeh seems amazing, sharpness bang on too. Combine with body stabilisation, and you've a killer combo.