can anyone anticipate what the a750 will have?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: can anyone anticipate what the a750 will have?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

As long as we're making wish lists, what would be so hard about providing a 5:4 shooting mode with guides in the viewfinder? It would be loads more useful than 16:9, especially for portrait photographers. In fact, I'd like my photos optimized more for portrait standards and available picture frames instead of for the wide screen HDTV that I don't have.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I agree, for entertainment the 16X9 aspect is much much better than 5X4 in TV screens and computer moniters (for gamers), but I can't see it as much use in a business sense, where I think the 5X4 is much superior, a more efficient use of desk space is had by the 5X4 aspect especially when working with documents on screen or cad, designing, although I can see an application for 16X9 in the display of Plans, when you want to see the standard front elev, plan and end elevation view all in one go but you'd need a very large one to be effective, isometric, perspective and cutaways etc. views can be seen just as well on a large 5X4 I think, the 16X9 generally might be ok to replace the 5X4 if the vertical height is not sacrificed in order to get it, and that again means a quite large and expensive 16X9.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Mmm yes, now THAT is a monitor, I'll take one, now where will I put the stuff I've piled onto the top of my CRT, there's a handy flat bit straight above the screen and currently it has a software box, two boxes of photo paper and a FA-18 Jet parked on it, (a large model I was using as a lighting test subject). :)
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That 24" LaCie is attractive @ US $1000, but no rotation though...pity.
Greg
Cross_lane
Acolyte

Unread post by Cross_lane »

To elaborate on the AF points that I stated earlier...
10 double cross points with a center triple cross (wishful) and 10 other single cross type AF. AF mode can be selected to use either spot AF, user selectable and Wide are.
The Spot AF I assume we all know what it is. The user selectable AF is... well... user selectable. This option can be chosen into 11 selectable AF points (10 double cross and 1 triple center cross) or 21 AF points (all the points stated above). Wide are AF, will have a tiny little sensor that cannot be seen in the VF will track on which part of the VF you eye is looking at and select to focus on the closest focusing point. If all lenses are to be SSM-ed, then I hope the SSM motor will be much much faster than the 70-200 SSM. More like the 24-70 SSM or even faster. Hopefully this will allow near instant focusing esp. when used with the wide area AF.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I'm not complaining about the LaCie, per se, though it would have been nice too also have the rotation like the Samsung and charge the extra...the Samsung was $2200 or so if I recall correctly, so there's plenty of room too manoeuvre for the LaCie on the cost vs feature area I'd say, and still be lots cheeper than the Samsung.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That's fairly ambitious the focus on eye point thingy, I rember there was a Canon once that had that feature but I'm not too sure how successful it was, if I think about my eye movement during the execution of a typical photo, their all over the place, somtimes even glancing down at the readout at the bottom of the VF, so it could turn out too be a huge waste of battery power (chasing every involuntary eye movement) for very little gain in functionality, besides I've found in some circumstances it's better too just do it in MF, and save the battery in the process.
I'm not keen on the SSM migration at all, the in body focus motor is easily fast/accurate enough for my purposes, and besides SSM adds quite a bit of weight and size/bulk too a lens that wasn't there before, (more noticable in the shorter lenses) the only advantage is that SSM is lots less noisy, but then so is MF, put it this way, currently we only have too buy stabilization ONCE and AF ONCE, unless we upgrade the body of course, so IMHO it's an advance sideways.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Wow, just check the prices, I rember when the LCD's first arrived on the scene the prices for even small screens were out of this world $4500 odd for a 19' if memory serves...amazing.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Greg Beetham wrote:I'm not complaining about the LaCie, per se, though it would have been nice too also have the rotation like the Samsung and charge the extra...the Samsung was $2200 or so if I recall correctly, so there's plenty of room too manoeuvre for the LaCie on the cost vs feature area I'd say, and still be lots cheeper than the Samsung.
Greg
I bought one of the rotating Samsungs 18 months ago before getting an iMac. What I found was that the degrees of viewing angle worked well in landscape mode - you tend to keep your eyes at one level centred on the screen, but in my case, I move my head a lot to either side while working. With the screen vertical, I found that the gamma/blacks shaded with changes in head position and colours shifted slightly too. In fairness, my original plastic casing Apple Cinema display does to same if you bob your head up and down like a duck to see the effect - and old 15" Studio display is terrible.

But, I could not work with the Samsung rotated for vertical and feel comfortable about the visible shift from left to right, which for some reason was not so apparent in horizontal mode. I returned it to Pixmania and it took them over two months to refund my purchase. Although my iMac can in theory be rotated on a wall mount, it has no software to detect or enable this - the Samsung did, and it worked really well on a Mac G5. It was a pleasure to be able to see A4 pages actually life size, in full. Even my 24 inch still shows them reduced about 10 per cent due to the usual toolbars and stuff.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes! that's exactly the problem, my old copy of Turbocad has rows of menu/toolbuttons and floating toolbars and bottom bars etc. taking up screen realestate, so the bigger the screen the better.
Greg
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Greg Beetham wrote:Yes! that's exactly the problem, my old copy of Turbocad has rows of menu/toolbuttons and floating toolbars and bottom bars etc. taking up screen realestate, so the bigger the screen the better.
Greg
How old is your copy? I beta test for IMSI Design.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wow, how many TurboCAD user have we got in here? I use Pro V10, mainly for hobby work.
21 valve I7
21 valve I7
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hi Winston,
I have a copy of Turbocad 4 that I bought years ago, it's on an old Win98 computer that I still like better than the succeeding models I've seen/tried, I don't earn my living using it or anything mission critical, I just use it to hash out a design concept and as a plotter/planner to establish the measurements/positions for slots and holes etc. when there's some odd job for the mill, usually astronomy/telescope related.
Greg
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Maybe we ought to start our own thread...

Some renderings (usually driven by a forum topic):
http://www.pbase.com/winstonmitchell/tu ... renderings

Some animations:
http://www.cadcourse.com/winston/Animations.html
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Winston, those animations are absolutely outstanding, I just loved the planetary gear set and the V8 DOHC, I set my player on repeat so I could just watch and watch. :)
Greg