Sony alpha A55

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony alpha A55

Unread post by bakubo »

dynax800si wrote:It's too early, but I'm starting to think that except A7x0 they will realize and something like A77 :D
Hmm, can you repeat that? I am not sure what you are saying here. Thanks.
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

Sorry for the bad English. :oops:

Seeing that they will realize in parallel similar models with only one main difference - "translucent" mirror.
Maybe we should expect not only successor to the A700, but and a "ranslucent" model with the same specs., something like A77.

What do you think about this?
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

dynax800si wrote:Sorry for the bad English. :oops:
No problem. No reason to apologize.
dynax800si wrote: Seeing that they will realize in parallel similar models with only one main difference - "translucent" mirror.
Maybe we should expect not only successor to the A700, but and a "ranslucent" model with the same specs., something like A77.

I had the same thought. I guess we will find out over the next few months or year if this is what Sony will do.
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

bakubo wrote:
dynax800si wrote:Sorry for the bad English. :oops:
No problem. No reason to apologize.
dynax800si wrote: Seeing that they will realize in parallel similar models with only one main difference - "translucent" mirror.

I had the same thought. I guess we will find out over the next few months or year if this is what Sony will do.
I have been wondering about that possibility as well--especially in view of my belief that the power of the Axx range will really not become fully apparent until there is an A77. AND remember that Sony's PMA press release said that the camera shown was "an Alpha 700 successor," implying that there might be more than one. This might even be a complicating factor in the delay of the release of the A7xx: perhaps Sony wants to get the A7xx, the A77, & the NEX 7 out the door with one dramatic flourish!
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Winedarksea wrote: I have been wondering about that possibility as well--especially in view of my belief that the power of the Axx range will really not become fully apparent until there is an A77. AND remember that Sony's PMA press release said that the camera shown was "an Alpha 700 successor," implying that there might be more than one. This might even be a complicating factor in the delay of the release of the A7xx: perhaps Sony wants to get the A7xx, the A77, & the NEX 7 out the door with one dramatic flourish!
That sounds like a final blow to the a700 folks to kick them out the door.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'm sortof wondering if the new A33 and A55 are possibly E-mount, short index and can use lots of lenses but no AF, (except the E-mount lenses) and the A560 and A580 are A-mount...being video centric and lots of missing still taking features (most likely) they don't hold any major attraction for me, but I was just wondering.
If that is the case they should revert the A-mount cameras back too being a normal still camera and re-install all the missing features, what U think.
Greg
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:Peter, the whole point of the pellicle design is that the AF module gets uninterrupted image info (we should stop using Canon's camera name trademark 'Pellix' in this context, that's like calling cameras with a pentaprism Pentax). Therefore if it can track the subject, it does not matter whether the camera is firing at 10fps, 15fps, or shooting movies. There is no mirror movement and the AF is constantly active.

David
The mechanical focus mechanism of the lens is going to limit this rosy picture. AF is not just the AF module.

Walt
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Greg Beetham wrote:I'm sortof wondering if the new A33 and A55 are possibly E-mount, short index and can use lots of lenses but no AF, (except the E-mount lenses) and the A560 and A580 are A-mount...being video centric and lots of missing still taking features (most likely) they don't hold any major attraction for me, but I was just wondering.
If that is the case they should revert the A-mount cameras back too being a normal still camera and re-install all the missing features, what U think.
Greg
A pellicule mirror takes essentially the same room as a regular mirror. You won't be cramming the pellicule into the 17 mm of lens to sensor space of the E mount. Especially remember with the NEX there is a mechanical shutter in there already.

I figure the reqular DSLR still photography camera is dead with sony. There will be no getting back to normal. Even chances of full feature sets for stills are questionable.

Walt
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

Exaggerated negativity again... Let's wait and see. The a7xx will probably not come out till next year now, but it seems that sony are listening and migrating useful features throughout the mid-range - quick navi and dof preview to nam ebut two. Based on the information we have right now the A580 sounds like a decent mid range camera with OVF and the A55 sounds like an interesting experiment, that might catch on, might not.

What I don't understand is why when they start to include the features you say are essential like dof preview suddenly it's a disaster? On the contrary, surely it's a good thing that the mid-range is speccing up?

You seem determined to see the glass not only half empty, but completely empty...
WaltKnapp wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:I'm sortof wondering if the new A33 and A55 are possibly E-mount, short index and can use lots of lenses but no AF, (except the E-mount lenses) and the A560 and A580 are A-mount...being video centric and lots of missing still taking features (most likely) they don't hold any major attraction for me, but I was just wondering.
Greg
A pellicule mirror takes essentially the same room as a regular mirror. You won't be cramming the pellicule into the 17 mm of lens to sensor space of the E mount. Especially remember with the NEX there is a mechanical shutter in there already.

I figure the reqular DSLR still photography camera is dead with sony. There will be no getting back to normal. Even chances of full feature sets for stills are questionable.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

WaltKnapp wrote: A pellicule mirror takes essentially the same room as a regular mirror. You won't be cramming the pellicule into the 17 mm of lens to sensor space of the E mount. Especially remember with the NEX there is a mechanical shutter in there already.

Walt
He's everywhere he's everywhere, :lol: tracking down every potentially disparaging comment, however minor they may be....Walt, you better repent...I think I'm in the clear..for the moment. :mrgreen:
Well if it is the E-mount on the A33 and A55 (hypothetically) it may not have a pellicule mirror, the E-mount so far doesn't have one. Thing is you need CDAF for follow focus while doing video (apparently), if so what focus system is the new A-mount cameras going too have? not that it matters much anyway.
Greg
mike2008
Heirophant

These cameras are deinitely not E mount. They are A mount.
Greg Beetham wrote:
WaltKnapp wrote: A pellicule mirror takes essentially the same room as a regular mirror. You won't be cramming the pellicule into the 17 mm of lens to sensor space of the E mount. Especially remember with the NEX there is a mechanical shutter in there already.

Walt
He's everywhere he's everywhere, :lol: tracking down every potentially disparaging comment, however minor they may be....Walt, you better repent...I think I'm in the clear..for the moment. :mrgreen:
Well if it is the E-mount on the A33 and A55 (hypothetically) it may not have a pellicule mirror, the E-mount so far doesn't have one. Thing is you need CDAF for follow focus while doing video (apparently), if so what focus system is the new A-mount cameras going too have? not that it matters much anyway.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Wow Mike don't you ever sleep? what time zone are you in?
Greg

ps. How do you know for sure about the mount?
mike2008
Heirophant

Like Walt said there is simply no space for a pellicle or mirror between the sensor and the lens mount in the E-mount design.

Greg Beetham wrote:Wow Mike don't you ever sleep? what time zone are you in?
Greg

ps. How do you know for sure about the mount?
mike2008
Heirophant

http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?ti ... a=page%3D1

Assuming this is real.

There is a DOF preview button.
There is no AF lamp.
The quick navi appears more an evolution from the A550 rather than A700
They have replaced the digital zoom button with a movie button.
The pictures coyly do no show the top or the left hand side.
The flip and swivel screen is a change, looks like it can easily be rotated such that it faces inward for protection probably works OK at waist and overhead too.
The EVF extends much further back than the OVF in the A550; much better IMO.
Curved ergonomic design with carbon-fibre look.
There are dedicated AEL and ISO buttons, just like the A550.

Intriguing. I would like to see if there is a button to zoom in the EVF, and what the top buttons are, also what is on the dial.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

If the leaked specs can be trusted, the a33 and a55 are still very definitely A-mount cameras. If not for the necessary mirror dimensions, then for the auto focusing described--you simply don't get cross-type CDAF sensors, and anyway the NEX cameras have WAY more than 15 selectable AF points.

EDIT: Nevermind, pictures! Look at the clearance of that EVF from the flip screen! Woohoo!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --