α560/α580 are coming

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Re: α560/α580 are coming

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

Just a thought:
I read in another forum, that a new owner of the A580 has trouble focusing with a Minolta legacy lens. After reading this posting, I searched the 560/580 and A55 operation manuals. I'm glad I downloaded the PDF copies of the manuals. I discovered that in the A560/580, Contrast AF is the default setting in focus check live view. It only works with the new Sony lenses that are SSM or SAM. Does the problem also apply to phase-detect AF? The A560/580 and the A33/55 differ in so many ways, that it's wise to read the manuals before you purchase either DSLR. I noticed that the A33/55 doesn't use Contrast AF. I am thinking that Sony is doing this to sell more SSM and SAM lenses. I only own one SAM lens. I am wondering if my Tamron 60 mm macro would focus with the A580, even though the lens has a micro motor. Maybe SONY is trying to marginalize the use of legacy lenses. If I bought the 580, I wasn't planning to buy another SAM lens, let alone the more expensive SSM lenses. I certainly can't afford to dispose of my full-frame Minolta lenses.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Fotogeorge wrote:I discovered that in the A560/580, Contrast AF is the default setting in focus check live view. It only works with the new Sony lenses that are SSM or SAM. Does the problem also apply to phase-detect AF? The A560/580 and the A33/55 differ in so many ways, that it's wise to read the manuals before you purchase either DSLR. I noticed that the A33/55 doesn't use Contrast AF. I am thinking that Sony is doing this to sell more SSM and SAM lenses. I only own one SAM lens. I am wondering if my Tamron 60 mm macro would focus with the A580, even though the lens has a micro motor. Maybe SONY is trying to marginalize the use of legacy lenses. If I bought the 580, I wasn't planning to buy another SAM lens, let alone the more expensive SSM lenses. I certainly can't afford to dispose of my full-frame Minolta lenses.
See this thread to see why:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =26&t=4729
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Be warned, Sigma HSM lenses don't so far appear to work with contrast detect AF, but the camera tries to use them. With screw drive, it neatly does a quick phase detect AF in Manual Live Preview, faster than Canon by a long way. You can press the magnify and check up the focus - it's very accurate.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Following my night shots of Kelso Abbey, I got a lot of Facebook feedback from local friends, so I have created a calendar on LULU which is really aimed at locals:

http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/ke ... howPreview

You can preview the entire calendar.

David
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

Fotogeorge wrote:Just a thought:
I read in another forum, that a new owner of the A580 has trouble focusing with a Minolta legacy lens. After reading this posting, I searched the 560/580 and A55 operation manuals. I'm glad I downloaded the PDF copies of the manuals. I discovered that in the A560/580, Contrast AF is the default setting in focus check live view. It only works with the new Sony lenses that are SSM or SAM. Does the problem also apply to phase-detect AF? The A560/580 and the A33/55 differ in so many ways, that it's wise to read the manuals before you purchase either DSLR. I noticed that the A33/55 doesn't use Contrast AF. I am thinking that Sony is doing this to sell more SSM and SAM lenses. I only own one SAM lens. I am wondering if my Tamron 60 mm macro would focus with the A580, even though the lens has a micro motor. Maybe SONY is trying to marginalize the use of legacy lenses. If I bought the 580, I wasn't planning to buy another SAM lens, let alone the more expensive SSM lenses. I certainly can't afford to dispose of my full-frame Minolta lenses.
Hi, As an owner of an A-580 In normal “stills” usage I have tried Sigma - Tamron and SAM-SSM lenses and am getting good results, I don’t use the Video but have tried it with the 18-55 Sam lens and it is ok.
So problems may only start when you do video, but if you are doing that you would not want the screw drive noise from an old lens on the audio.
Regards
richard