PMA News - worldwide demand delays A560 launch

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: PMA News - worldwide demand delays A560 launch

Unread post by InTheSky »

Having thinking that people will preferred the Axx approach ... Sony do not make enough importance to this model... ?

But ... I can probably help you to explains stuff ..., some of my customers in manufacturing are actually telling that there is a lot of specific electrical components as : FPGA or specific ASIC who are in not enough capacity produced. This low production strategy comes from the last technology crash of 2000 in addition of the last crash of asic production few years ago. So now, a lot of company are not shaped to make mass production of different parts has 10 years ago.

Working in this world 10 years ago, I remember having to so stop shipping only for one specify tiny screw of 15 cents that was not available in stock when about 50 000$ of thousand parts was already in the assembly and ready to ship :-). I can almost feel the stress Sony manufacturing plan supervisors should have at this moment.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

This is good new for Sony, and for all users of the alpha mount.

High demand means more users, meaning it's more economical to bring further innovation to the market.

Hopefully we'll see new products for the enthusiast market.

I could also lead to bargains down the road, if Sony over-produces some models, and discounts them as new ones come on-line.

Dusty
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Please allow me to repeat the comment I made under the original article by DK
My 34 years in engineering on both sales and supply sides told me that having demand exceeding production capacity was a better problem than lack of demand. Problem with then trying to meet demand too quickly leads to excess costs and it is so easy for marginal costs then to exceed marginal revenue. Sony may have introduced too many new products too quickly. An eagerness for success that exceed their rational thinking. They will have to manage new product introductions to match their productive capacity. For us Sony users it is good to learn about excess demand. That means customer acceptability of their products and the guarantee of a long presence in the DSLR/SLT markets with new products and innovation. The APS-C market seems to move towards a duopoly of Sony and Canon sensors.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am really curious to see the A55 and A580 in person. For travel I can see that those two might work well for me. For the last 2.5 years I have been carrying an A700 and A100 (A100 is just a backup), but I would like something a bit lighter and smaller. Also, I like the fast LV that the A55 and A580 have with their movable LCDs. I suspect the A580 OVF has the same problem as the A550 OVF though in that the LCD sticks out too much so it makes it a bit hard to use the OVF. I'll check it out though. If everything else is okay though I might be willing to live with it.
Edgars L
Acolyte

Unread post by Edgars L »

I would agree that sometimes excess demand could slow down innovations, but it is problem for relatively small fabrics. Sony tend to be huge and new technology and camera development is independent part of Sony. According to several interviews with Sony leading management it is clear that new camera development is planed for several future years. Sony has scientific labs and knowledge which gives possibilities to already plan which technologies would be implemented in future models even after 5 years.