Observation on updated firmware for A900/A850

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Observation on updated firmware for A900/A850

Unread post by InTheSky »

I don't know if this is related to the firmware update ... (but it looks like). Yesterday for the first time since my little Evan is there, I went to a concert to take picture with the A900 updated to firmware 2.0.

Usually to take picture in low light (since 2 years now), I'm setting the camera to +0.7 EV and shooting at ISO 3200-4000. Weird thing yesterday that for the same exposure result, I had to set the camera at least +1.3... Like if the camera is not calculating the light in the same way (not documented in the firmware update).

If you have experiment same situation, It will be interesting to share. I will check if there is dust on me light meter when I have time...

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
braeside
Grand Caliph

Re: Observation on updated firmware for A900/A850

Unread post by braeside »

Frank, are you metering Spot or Multisegment in those tests?

Highly unlikely that Sony have done anything that they have not documented though.

It seems that every time a new firmware version is released even though it only supposedly fixes some unrelated things, people test high ISO and can see a difference :mrgreen:

I'll do some tests this evening as I will be in a low light venue.

Cheers
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I tested all the ISO settings before and after, and exposures needed no different compensation - the results had exactly the same density.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

What I found yesterday are the AF being much faster and continuous shooting with flash gun being much more economical....in terms of battery consumption. I was able to shoot until the buffer was full...and the buffer clearance appeared faster.
InTheSky
Viceroy

braeside wrote:Frank, are you metering Spot or Multisegment in those tests?

Highly unlikely that Sony have done anything that they have not documented though.

It seems that every time a new firmware version is released even though it only supposedly fixes some unrelated things, people test high ISO and can see a difference :mrgreen:

I'll do some tests this evening as I will be in a low light venue.

Cheers
I'm usually using the middle metering. Everything was base on feeling from other experience of shooting in the same condition. The only thing I can see (I'm currently processing the picture) Is that the background of the scene this time was on red wall, and probably the light is going inside the camera with more strange that usually black background.

I will trust the David test from both firmware.

But yes for autofocus you can really feel the difference.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
braeside
Grand Caliph

Hi Frank, I shot with the A900 version 2 firmware on Saturday evening in a restaurant using between ISO 800 and 1600, sometimes using the tiny add-on flash HVL-20AM as a bounce from a dark pitched ceiling. The place was heated by halogen infrared electric fires which gave a red/orange glow to everything, but could be employed as a nice rim light in some cases.

Used the 24-70/2.8 wide open all the time, and multi-segment metering - which was a mistake, I had meant to use spot as I did at the last event, however the results though underexposed in some cases were perfectly OK when adjusted in post. (cRAW of course)

Focus when hit was fine, however as I have the camera set to fire even if it is not in focus and was using AF-A, I sometimes had an OOF shot as I pressed the shutter before focus was reached. I did have one occasion when the AF was miles out, as if the motor drove the wrong way which is unusual and not something I have noticed with version 1, but it was probably just the difficult lighting conditions. I always used the centre focus point.

One cropped shot (ISO 800 with almost useless bounce flash).
David
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Unread post by Simmondsphotography »

I tested all the ISO settings before and after, and exposures needed no different compensation - the results had exactly the same density.

David

Over at Get DPI there are a number of Pro's using both A850 and A900 who are claiming that they have noticed a difference in exposure settings for higher ISO settings with the new firmware v 2 as downloaded from Sony Asia.

I can certainly verify the very noticeable improvement in AF speed which is very noticeable with any lens of 135mm upwards. The changes have not affected the high accuracy of the centre spot AF either. I haven't tested the AF tracking yet.
Cheers, Dave
A900, A700, A77 and far too many lenses!
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The guys at getdpi also claim noise improvements with v2 FW. No direct v1/v2 comparisons, though...
braeside
Grand Caliph

What generally happens is, a new version of firmware comes out, then people who sometimes never use high ISO because they don't often need it, try it out and immediately see an improvement (over what they remember), or they actually have an improvement only because they are using a new version of software on their computer that works better at high ISO.

Don't you think if Sony HAD improved something like noise at high ISO that they would be singing it loudly?

There was someone on DPR that did a side by side check with 2 A900 cameras, one on V1 and other on V2 and so no difference in noise. QED .
David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Still no 'noise difference' may also be a result of better/adaptive software :)

They need to use some old dcraw version to even check for any difference...
braeside
Grand Caliph

Precisely, I honestly doubt they will see any difference. I am satisfied with the A900 up to ISO 1600 at present anyway. Sure there are better low noise sensors out there, but for my needs it is fine.
David
InTheSky
Viceroy

braeside wrote:Hi Frank, I shot with the A900 version .... the centre focus point. One cropped shot (ISO 800 with almost useless bounce flash).
Hello David, I'm shooting a lot at high ISO with the A900, and with the new Adobe Lightroom the camera can be use up to ISO3200 with no fear. I love the stabilization of the camera combine with good prime. Here is a example of this Friday in low light condition : ISO3200 Old good Minolta 200mm F/2.8 at 2.8 1/80 handled:
6MP picture: http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/image/1309 ... iginal.jpg

Regards,

Frank
Frank
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Nice shot, Frank.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Thanks Frank, great use of high ISO on the A900. I'll try 3200 next time and see how it processes!
David