Is Sony A580 last (or nearly last) DSLR with OVF?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Is Sony A580 last (or nearly last) DSLR with OVF?

Unread post by agorabasta »

mike2008 wrote: I therefore don't see the a-mount or APS-C size sensors disappearing, so I don't quite see why you think the DT lenses day's are numbered?
A-mount won't disappear, it's to stay with the FF. APSC sensors won't disappear, they'll stay with the Nex and e-mount. The DT are a-mount for the APSC, and there is no other future for them than with the APSC SLR and SLT.

Thus if APSC SLRs are already gone, and the SLT being quite temporary, there's absolutely no future for DT lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

agorabasta wrote
A-mount won't disappear, it's to stay with the FF. APSC sensors won't disappear, they'll stay with the Nex and e-mount. The DT are a-mount for the APSC, and there is no other future for them than with the APSC SLR and SLT.

Thus if APSC SLRs are already gone, and the SLT being quite temporary, there's absolutely no future for DT lenses.
That is one potential outcome. I rather think that SLT with EVF is here to stay with continued use of FF & DT lenses. Sony are continuing to release DT lenses. They must think there is a future for these. The NEX converter to A mount (including DT) is another sign. Looking at the general development of consumer electronics and the take-up of the new generations I certainly think that both SLT and NEX cameras will contiue to be developed with DT lenses being in demand for the forseeable future. Just my humble opinion. No way NEX can replicate some SLT features such as fast AF and in body image stabilisation just to mention a couple.
Big seismic shifts happen in business. Look at the domination of Microsoft. They stuck to PC bound Windows and Office too long and are now wondering how to conquor Google. Look at Apple's resurrection under Jobs. Sony may be about to do the same to CAN/NIK and Pentax and Panasonic are on their heels. Problem for the pursuers, even Thom thinks Sony are ahead on image quality, particularly at higher ISOs. Interesting to watch. Difficult to predict. The upcoming gadget savy generations will probably not find Sony's interface difficult.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Ref Barry's point - I was surprised at the MPA Awards in 2009 to find the hired event photography crew equipped with Sony A700s. Turns out that Photomart and Sony both market heavily to event photographers, selling complete packages with printers and PCs and the lot, and these photographers were using Sony because that's what the system used.

I do not know how many such systems are out there (the Alpha 100 was the initial offering) but I do know these photographers often don't turn up on the 'pro scene' radar - they are just there earning money taking pictures at functions, and not all that interested in photography!

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I thought Sony might contemplate an e-mount DSLT but I don't think that would work with the current design of the e-mount, the flange to sensor plane is too close for the mirror I think; so the DSLT's will probably continue with the A-mount taking advantage of the large number of lenses already in circulation that use PDAF. The future of the OVF (Sony wants it gone asap I think, too many problems and too expensive for LV&video) depends on whether OVF cameras sell well enough, and whether Sony wants too make an APS-C OVF camera that appeals to OVF camera users....or not, FF OVF cameras don't appear to be under threat so far and that might be Sony's plan; produce a high MP FF camera and those who want to do telephoto wildlife and macro can have the choice of FF or crop mode APS-C. I think I'd rather a dedicated APS-C frame OVF camera myself.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

rush2112 wrote: Excellent and fair point Greg. I tell people all the time to vote with their wallets. In this day and age, money can do a heck of a lot more than people realize. If they only realized the power they have in their pocket.

I buy and sell a lot of cameras some for obvious reasons, and some for not such obvious reasons. But I believe wholeheartedly about voting with your wallet.

Another good way to get feedback to manufactures is through the return process. When you return the good to them, and tell them why you are returning it, its a much bigger vote for what you want than not buying at all.

Carl
Hi Carl, yes I can readily imagine that returning a purchase with the reasons for doing so would have an even bigger impact. However I have never done anything like that in the past and I think it would take some adjusting for me to accomplish it. I just think (from my perspecive) that I did the research on the item and I made the decision to buy it, and then deciding that I didn't want it after all is a little hypocritical...or something....it would make me a tad uncomfortable anyway. I'm afraid my protest would be limited to just not buying the item. Besides who knows, if I bought an A55 with the intention of returning it at some point...I might, kaf kaf, like it too much and not return it after all. :shock:
Greg
rush2112
Initiate

Unread post by rush2112 »

Greg Beetham wrote:
rush2112 wrote: Excellent and fair point Greg. I tell people all the time to vote with their wallets. In this day and age, money can do a heck of a lot more than people realize. If they only realized the power they have in their pocket.

I buy and sell a lot of cameras some for obvious reasons, and some for not such obvious reasons. But I believe wholeheartedly about voting with your wallet.

Another good way to get feedback to manufactures is through the return process. When you return the good to them, and tell them why you are returning it, its a much bigger vote for what you want than not buying at all.

Carl
Hi Carl, yes I can readily imagine that returning a purchase with the reasons for doing so would have an even bigger impact. However I have never done anything like that in the past and I think it would take some adjusting for me to accomplish it. I just think (from my perspecive) that I did the research on the item and I made the decision to buy it, and then deciding that I didn't want it after all is a little hypocritical...or something....it would make me a tad uncomfortable anyway. I'm afraid my protest would be limited to just not buying the item. Besides who knows, if I bought an A55 with the intention of returning it at some point...I might, kaf kaf, like it too much and not return it after all. :shock:
Greg
Fair enough. Got a question though.

Has every item you've ever purchased worked exactly as advertised or expected by you?

If so, you are one lucky guy Greg! :)

C
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Offhand Carl, I think most of the items I have purchased lived up to expectations pretty well actually; there is one item I can think of that perhaps didn't, that was an RB5 Bounty Hunter metal detector, it was very expensive back when I bought it in the early 80's ($600 then, who knows what that is in todays dollars), and I'm not saying it didn't 'detect' either, it's just the lifetime warranty that was given to the original purchaser (me) wasn't worth the paper it was written on. I inadvertantly reversed the polarity of a battery pack once (in a hurry before realizing the mistake) and blew up a diode or something somewhere, the only assistance that Bounty Hunter would give me was to send it to the USA at my expense to have someone who 'remembered' how that ancient model (now) worked and fix it. They wouldn't send me the wiring diagram so I could get it fixed locally. Their thinking was that I was going to start producing a metal detector with the information. A model that is now far out of date and no longer competitive with the new models anyway. I only wanted a working detector again that could find lost items, that's what I mainly used it for in the end, but that didn't cut any ice with them, so I haven't forgotten their lack of assistance to me, the original owner.
As far as cameras go I guess I would be a poor example for experience with many models to gauge how well they lived up to expectations, or the practical experience matching the claims made in the brochure etc. having made do with my two X700's right through until I bought the KM5D, and who is going to say that the X700 was not a good camera, not many I imagine, a bit lacking in some things for sure, like no spot metering, 1/1000sec max shutter speed, 1/60sec flash sync, no flash balence adjust, and no grip to speak of until you put a motor drive on, but I still think it was lovely camera that had some soul, and ultra reliable.
And as far as the KM5D went, I thought it was a class act as well, (with all those extra features I never had before) I was not disappointed with it in the least and I'm still not.
The two Sony cameras have been fine also, the A100 and the A700, I like them both, and I can't offhand think of anything that was promised that wasn't delivered.
Greg
BruceofOz123

Unread post by BruceofOz123 »

An interesting discussion from a long time Nikon (30 years) and Canon (20 years) user. From both companies I was given non service with contempt three times - and chose not to patronise their product. When I abandoned Canon I thought which way now - 70 years old - semi retired but very active - dragged out old DSCR-1 and did a test shoot. Big smiles all round. Took me two months to decide the A580 would make a nice final choice for the years I have left. Had enough of lens changing so looked around for three bodies. None in Australia - does not appear on Sony web site. Tried Hong Kong, none available, found 1 online in UK, but item available with basic kit lens in New York - so have bought three - not here yet. Had dark thoughts about why such a potentially good camera was in short supply and figured perhaps Sony was coming out of left field to combat the Nikanon heavyweights with a new 'trend'. I'm not sure re the A77 and fast horizintal panning - tried a couple of demos but gut feeling was that there was a slight EVF lag. So A580 selection for a long shot. Just found this site - on the road for much of the year but will keep an eye on future developments.
Happy New Year :D :D
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Welcome Bruce, I did a search the other day for the A580 in OZ, there were a few dealers listed that had it or ‘said’ they had it, I got the impression that quite a few of the ‘dealers’ existed in cyberspace only and will probably have an adaptor for the wall socket for the charger...hopefully. I don’t understand why Sony didn’t bring that one in, my best guess is they didn’t want to interfere with the sales of the SLT’s or maybe so the marketing people could prove that the SLT’s sell much better than DSLR’s…who knows.
Greg

Ps Canon and Nikon treated you with contempt? Maybe they aren’t as wonderful as they make out after all.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Welcome - hope you enjoy them! It remains unique at the moment. It was never sold widely because they had other fish to fry, NEX and SLTs, and preferred to keep it expensive and hard to get...

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Bruce, welcome from me as well. Good luck tracking down your 580s. They are rarely seen in UK shops now, mainly 55s and 65s on the shelves. A quick search on google suggests they are becoming difficult to get hold of.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Greg Beetham Wrote.
'Ps Canon and Nikon treated you with contempt? Maybe they aren’t as wonderful as they make out after all.'

I shot Nikon for 25 years, had two very bothersome F100's a nasty D7000 and a plain horrible D700, I never got good customer service by any standards in that time, despite being in the NPS user scheme, just the Canikon ''Holier than thou' attitude, shot Canon for five years and got the same when my 5DMKII was sick, I know exactly where Bruce is coming from. This year my Nikon NX2 stopped working and Nikon would not help me out despite owning two copies of the product it's only good for a certain amount of installs then it gives up.
I have a degree in Computer science so I'm a Compu-fiddler, there is no way around this limitation and Nikon will not budge...
Last edited by lonewolf16x9 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
alphaomega
Viceroy

I am happy with my A580 and will never part with it as long at it functions.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A big welcome and a Happy New Year wish from me too, Bruce.
BTW, why don't you give the SLTs a try. EVF is much more comfortable for ageing eyes (can assure that), unless you use an a900...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alphaomega
Viceroy

Maybe or maybe not according to this SR3 rumour on SAR
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-will ... iewfinder/
(SR3) Will there be a new A600 with optical viewfinder?
emanating from no other than Carl Garrard here http://photographic-central.blogspot.co ... oming.html
So time will show if this is just another unsubstantiated rumour, but the specification looks plausible.
In my humble opinion, an 18Mp sensor is "optimum" for APS-C. Around 50Mp TIFF - just right for me. I am actually wishing for a NEX-7 with such a sensor and called NEX-6.