So no manual focus peaking for a55?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

So no manual focus peaking for a55?

Unread post by agorabasta »

Really, how predictable...

Buy A-mount body - go buy A-mount lenses and AF.

Then there's a Nex with focus peaking just to attract new customers.

Makes sense business-wise.

But if they allowed manual focus peaking with aXX SLT cams, there'd be a hugely positive feeling spread around from those few good and serious guys that can put the feature to a truly good use.

P.S. I can't believe the 'focus peaking' is impossible on aXX hardware.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: So no manual focus peaking for a55?

Unread post by Dusty »

Not impossible, but part of Sony's "So, you're a loyal customer? Screw you!" marketing plan. You know, the plan that has inferior models with better features, standard features removed, Lack of caring about you as soon as your model is sold out, ("You wanted a firmware update? I'm sorry, that model is no longer supported."), and all the other tings that Sony has been doing to engender brand loyalty. :evil:

Dusty
agorabasta
Viceroy

Dusty, but that's a brain-dead strategy on their part. The word of mouth is the best advertising imaginable... And works either way...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

For some reason I always thought that the cameras with live view had focus confirm in MF both on the rear screen and in the VF, I must have assumed wrongly, that feature would be handy working off a tripod for sure.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I think they do have focus confirm. peaking to Sony is a little different. the LCD will show blinkies on sharp parts of the picture. it's fun to see the whole DOF laid out on the screen for you. I think it takes a very high resolution feed for the monitor though for it to work. and some cameras might not have the screen for it
agorabasta
Viceroy

All current LV alphas using an AF lens in MF mode would light up a focus point on display when the image at that point falls into focus. If the focus area is then set to wide, they would light up the parts of the wide area that fall in focus. That is the PDAF system confirming the MF.
But it doesn't work with non-chipped manual lenses. So, e.g., all those fine manual Samyangs can't get any kind of focus confirm unless they get chipped.

Then the peaking simply lights up the sharpest edges in the image. And it doesn't exactly need a high-res feed to the display. All it needs is an analysis of the high-res image in the cam's image processor.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Just checked with a55, and its MF confirm for AF lenses works only for the central point if the cam is set to wide area focus. So no wide area confirm at all, a single AF sensor may only be chosen manually...
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

The only reason I think the signal for the screen needs to be HD is their add on screen features peaking and that function won't work unless it can get an HD feed from the camera. in all other modes it doesn't work
agorabasta
Viceroy

The peaking feature built into that large addon screen surely needs a high-res feed to work independently of body properties. But the cam body may well have this feature served by its main signal processor. And then even the possible addon screen would be getting it with whatever feed it gets.
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

You can have your MFP - I would prefer zebras. RAW zebras, of course.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.